PDA

View Full Version : Optimization I screwed up & need help, FAST!

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 04:54 PM
Long story short:

Party of two
One if a greatsword using Fighter

I'm the other guy

Thought of making a Light Cleric, with a Cloak of Protection, setting me at AC 19. I can take some hits, be on the front lines with my Fighter friend so he's not the only one taking hits.

Then wondered if Favored Soul Sorcerer would be better for Twinning buffs on me and the Fighter. Still at 19 AC, but with the Shield spell shrugging off some hits, I could still be on the front line with my friend so he's not absorbing all the hits.

But then I realized something HUGE, a massive oversight: I can't cast spells in melee range, can I? I'd provoke an opportunity attack every time.

So that's dead in the water.

Now I've no clue what to do, and the game is tomorrow night.

Help me GitP, you're my only hope!

Level 3
Point Buy
All UA and all books allowed
Starting with two Uncommon magic items

Ruslan
2017-01-05, 04:55 PM
But then I realized something HUGE, a massive oversight: I can't cast spells in melee range, can I? I'd provoke an opportunity attack every time.

You may be thinking about 3.5e rules. In 5E, this changed. Feel free to cast spells in melee range, there's no opportunity attack for that.

RulesJD
2017-01-05, 04:56 PM
Casting spells in Melee range doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks.

The ONLY ONLY thing it does, it make Ranged Spell Attacks be at Disadvantage, just like any other Range Attack made in melee. This isn't earlier editions.

Rysto
2017-01-05, 04:56 PM

That rule is gone in 5e. You can cast spells in melee to your heart's content. The only caveat is that ranged spells with an attack roll make the roll with disadvantage at melee range, but that's easy enough to avoid.

Hrugner
2017-01-05, 04:57 PM
I think you don't provoke by casting anymore. There's a feat that lets you attack someone casting, but I don't think it'd be a common ability on NPCs.

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 04:59 PM
You may be thinking about 3.5e rules. In 5E, this changed. Feel free to cast spells in melee range, there's no opportunity attack for that.

From the PHB:

When you m ake a ranged attack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn’t incapacitated.

Alright, so not an opportunity attack, but the spells would be at Disadvantage, right? So every Firebolt, Guiding Bolt and Scorching Ray I cast is at Disadvantage?

Ruslan
2017-01-05, 04:59 PM
I think you don't provoke by casting anymore. There's a feat that lets you attack someone casting, but I don't think it'd be a common ability on NPCs.

Yep, Mage Slayer. If your NPC enemies have it, that'd be a good sign your DM hates you :smallwink:

Alright, so not an opportunity attack, but the spells would be at Disadvantage, right? So every Firebolt, Guiding Bolt and Scorching Ray I cast is at Disadvantage?
If there's an enemy within 5', yes. Better use spells with no attack rolls in this case, or learn a spell with melee attack rolls, such as Shocking Grasp.

Armored Walrus
2017-01-05, 05:03 PM
From the PHB:

When you m ake a ranged attack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn’t incapacitated.

Yes ,those three would be at disadvantage because they are ranged attacks. Same as if you tried to fire a bow in melee. However, sacred flame doesn't even require an attack roll - Dex save - so would not be at disadvantage, nor would any touch attacks such as inflict wounds. Nor would, say, hitting them with your warhammer, and then hitting them again with your Spiritual hammer.

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 05:05 PM
Yes ,those three would be at disadvantage because they are ranged attacks. Same as if you tried to fire a bow in melee. However, sacred flame doesn't even require an attack roll - Dex save - so would not be at disadvantage, nor would any touch attacks such as inflict wounds. Nor would, say, hitting them with your warhammer, and then hitting them again with your Spiritual hammer.

Right but with a point buy I was hoping to just stick a +2 at Dex and then just focus on my Spellcasting stat and Con.

Now I don't know what's optimal and I've been thrown through a loop.

Zanthy1
2017-01-05, 05:09 PM
Don't focus on spellcasting as a means of damage then. If you wanna be in the front with your fighter buddy, there are plenty of spells that you can cast without worry, even some damagin ones. Most of the spells you should be focusing on anyways are buffs or debuffs, both of which are easy to use whereever youre standing. +2 to dex is fine, youre not the heavy hitter, your the everything else.

RulesJD
2017-01-05, 05:09 PM
Right but with a point buy I was hoping to just stick a +2 at Dex and then just focus on my Spellcasting stat and Con.

Now I don't know what's optimal and I've been thrown through a loop.

Um, do you know the rules of 5th Edition?

All of your spell attacks are based on your Spellcasting stat, so you're fine there.

The Dex Save for Sacred Flame is what the ENEMY has to make (the DC is determined by your Spellcasting stat), it has nothing to do with your own Dexterity.

I'm sorry but this is all right there in the book for you to read...

Armored Walrus
2017-01-05, 05:10 PM
Find a way to get Shillelagh and carry a club? I mean, you may have picked the wrong domain for what you're going for, but other than that I think you had a good idea. I'm AFB so can't look up domains, but maybe War is a better option for what you're trying to do.

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 05:19 PM

All of your spell attacks are based on your Spellcasting stat, so you're fine there.

The Dex Save for Sacred Flame is what the ENEMY has to make (the DC is determined by your Spellcasting stat), it has nothing to do with your own Dexterity.

I was getting at the fact that I was hoping to set my Dex at 14, then focus only on my spellcasting stat and con, and not worry at all about melee attacks of any kind. I had been hoping to utilize cantrips when necessary, even while in melee, and I am asking the community to help me try to find a way of not limiting myself to only utilizing touch or save spells, with any ideas the community may have. Maybe a different class? A different build? Magic Initiate? Something.

There's absolutely zero reason for you to insult me that sort of tone. Because we both know there's a tone in your post.

Foxhound438
2017-01-05, 05:19 PM
From the PHB:

ranged attacks from any source are at disadvantage. anything that's a melee spell attack is still fine in melee, and as others have said sacred flame and other save effects are unaffected by that rule.

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 05:22 PM
ranged attacks from any source are at disadvantage. anything that's a melee spell attack is still fine in melee, and as others have said sacred flame and other save effects are unaffected by that rule.

It's so immensely limiting that I'm strongly considering an entirely different character and build altogether, and am desperately looking for any and all suggestions.

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 05:24 PM
considered MCing with a Cleric? or too MAD for you?

Armored Walrus
2017-01-05, 05:25 PM
I had been hoping to utilize cantrips when necessary, even while in melee, and I am asking the community to help me try to find a way of not limiting myself to only utilizing touch or save spells, with any ideas the community may have. Maybe a different class? A different build? Magic Initiate? Something.

I'll submit again that I don't think your base concept is flawed, probably just look at a different domain. Or magic initiate for Shillelagh, so you can swing a club/quarterstaff using your casting stat when you don't have a spell to cast. Combining that with the Light Domain would give you ranged blasting, melee, healing, and a bit of tankiness all in one character.

Edit: Just realized you have two character concepts in your OP. I'm referring (hopefully obviously) to the Light Cleric option. I don't know anything about Favored Soul.

Ruslan
2017-01-05, 05:25 PM
Here are some options for you:
1. Sacred Flame, Shocking Grasp, Poison Spray, Shillelagh are all cantrips that work perfectly well in melee range.
2. As do any other spells that don't say "make a ranged spell attack ..."
3. The Crossbow Expert feat (besides its other benefits) allows you to make ranged attacks in melee at no disadvantage.
4. Take 2 levels of Paladin. This way, if you are ever prevented from casting spells in melee, there's always the good old attack-and-smite.

Armored Walrus
2017-01-05, 05:27 PM
3. The Crossbow Expert feat (besides its other benefits) allows you to make ranged attacks in melee at no disadvantage.

AFB, does that apply to ranged spell attacks as well, or just ranged weapon attacks?

CantigThimble
2017-01-05, 05:27 PM
Melee range cantrips still use your spellcasting stat to hit (except green flame blade and booming blade, which are their own thing), so shocking grasp in melee is fine. Sacred flame requires no attack rolls of any kind so it suffers no penalties in melee.

Ruslan
2017-01-05, 05:28 PM
AFB, does that apply to ranged spell attacks as well, or just ranged weapon attacks?

All ranged attacks.

BRC
2017-01-05, 05:28 PM
I was getting at the fact that I was hoping to set my Dex at 14, then focus only on my spellcasting stat and con, and not worry at all about melee attacks of any kind. I had been hoping to utilize cantrips when necessary, even while in melee, and I am asking the community to help me try to find a way of not limiting myself to only utilizing touch or save spells, with any ideas the community may have. Maybe a different class? A different build? Magic Initiate? Something.

What you're asking for is impossible, by definition.

There are three ways to deal damage.

Ranged attacks. which have a disadvantage in melee.

Melee attacks, which cannot be used at range

and Saves, which have your opponent make a saving throw rather than you make an attack roll.

You want a spell that can be cast in melee without disadvantage, but is not a melee spell, and is not a save spell.

No, there is no ranged attack spell that can be cast in melee without disadvantage, at least not without taking the Crossbow Expert feat (Which lets you ignore disadvantage for ranged attacks in melee).

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 05:30 PM
What you're asking for is impossible, by definition.

There are three ways to deal damage.

Ranged attacks. which have a disadvantage in melee.

Melee attacks, which cannot be used at range

and Saves, which have your opponent make a saving throw rather than you make an attack roll.

You want a spell that can be cast in melee without disadvantage, but is not a melee spell, and is not a save spell.

No, there is no ranged attack spell that can be cast in melee without disadvantage, at least not without taking the Crossbow Expert feat (Which lets you ignore disadvantage for ranged attacks in melee).

I know it's impossible. That's why I'm now looking for alternative builds since my initial ones have become so limiting that they're essentially kaput.

BRC
2017-01-05, 05:31 PM
I know it's impossible. That's why I'm now looking for alternative builds since my initial ones have become so limiting that they're essentially kaput.

Take a Saving-throw spell like Sacred Flame.

Take two cantrips, one melee, one ranged.

There are plenty of options.

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 05:32 PM
Melee range cantrips still use your spellcasting stat to hit (except green flame blade and booming blade, which are their own thing), so shocking grasp in melee is fine. Sacred flame requires no attack rolls of any kind so it suffers no penalties in melee.

Doesn't the 'make an attack with a weapon' mean I'd need to utilize Str or Dex, and not my spellcasting stat, assuming no Shillelagh?

CantigThimble
2017-01-05, 05:35 PM
Or if your concern is that you won't be able to use ranged spells EVER if you build for melee then... stop worrying? Either don't rush into melee in fights where you plan on using ranged spell attacks or let your fighter buddy take some of the heat off of you.

Fishyninja
2017-01-05, 05:36 PM
Doesn't the 'make an attack with a weapon' mean I'd need to utilize Str or Dex, and not my spellcasting stat, assuming no Shillelagh?

tne extra damage from BB comes from the target moving so yes if Dex/Str are low your initial hit will be low but you get the damage from BB which is not affected by those stats.

[edit] Attack with a weapon

CantigThimble

For green flame blade or booming blade yes, for shocking grasp no. Shocking grasp is a straight up melee spell attack.

BRC

Nope. Melee spell attacks are spell attacks, they use your casting stat just like ranged spell attacks.

A Wizard casting Shocking Grasp uses their intelligence.

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 05:45 PM
Nope. Melee spell attacks are spell attacks, they use your casting stat just like ranged spell attacks.

A Wizard casting Shocking Grasp uses their intelligence.

But the line 'melee spell attack' is missing, hence my confusion.

EDIT: I mean, the Sun Soul Monk's 'radiant sun bolt' requires a spell attack roll but isn't technically a spell. So I just want to make sure it works before bringing a potential Sorcadin or similar build to the table.

bid
2017-01-05, 05:58 PM
Yes.

But why would you use a weapon?

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 06:02 PM
Yes.

But why would you use a weapon?

You mean, why would I use a weapon at all on certain builds?

Maybe Arcana Cleric, taking Booming Blade and Magic Initiate: Shillelagh, or going for a Sorcerer-Paladin, smite heavy build?

I'm now open to ALL builds.

JAL_1138
2017-01-05, 06:11 PM
Why not do what several others have suggested already and just take Crossbow Expert? The "no disadvantage for ranged attack rolls in melee" part applies to *all* spells. You could take Warcaster somewhere along the line so you can use cantrips as opportunity attacks. Then you're fine to leave Dex at +2 and focus on your casting stats exclusively.

EDIT: And for a Light Cleric, either take Magic Initiate for Shillelagh or stick to Sacred Flame (no attack roll). In either case, with Medium armor, +2 Dex is fine, you wouldn't need Dex for attacks. You'd use your Wis mod for Shillelagh (if you bother with it), and there's no attack roll for Sacred Flame. The only other ranged attack roll you typically make as a Cleric is Guiding Bolt, which would be at disadvantage in melee without Crossbow Expert, but while it's a potent spell it's not all you've got up your sleeve. Burning Hands is one of your Domain spells and works fine in melee. And eventually you'll get Spiritual Weapon, which uses your casting stat, and then later Spirit Guardians.

I play a Knowledge Cleric with only a +2 Dex, -1 Str, no Shillelagh, relying on Sacred Flame and Spiritual Weapon for damage, and it works fine. Granted, I do it in slightly larger groups than two people, but still, it's fine.

CantigThimble
2017-01-05, 06:20 PM
But the line 'melee spell attack' is missing, hence my confusion.

Huh? Shocking grasp says: 'Make a melee spell attack against the target.'

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 06:24 PM
Huh? Shocking grasp says: 'Make a melee spell attack against the target.'

I was saying that about the SCAG cantrips Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade.

CantigThimble
2017-01-05, 06:29 PM

Did anyone claim that those were melee spell attacks? Now I'm confused.

bid
2017-01-05, 06:30 PM
You mean, why would I use a weapon at all on certain builds?
Like light domain, yes.
I wasn't sure if your weapon use refered to shocking grasp. Yeah, BB/GFB are normal weapon attacks.

I'm guessing you planned on Str8 / Dex14 for Con16 / Wis16.
So, why dump Str/Dex if you plan on using a weapon?

The SAD version is nature, mostly for dampen elements, but also for shillelagh with the deal-a-damage-type divine strike. All clerics can use spiritiual weapon and spirit guardians, the melee weapon is mostly for show.

JAL_1138
2017-01-05, 06:35 PM

Those two rely on melee weapon attacks that DO NOT use your casting stat for the to-hit roll, using a physical stat instead. They are the only cantrips in 5e thus far that work that way. They are not technically "melee spell attacks."

EDIT: The other two cantrips that make use of weapons, Shillelagh and Magic Stone, are a bit peculiar in their own right. Shillelagh allows you to use your casting stat in place of a physical stat on melee weapon attacks. Magic Stone uses your casting stat to make ammo for ranged spell attacks out of rocks--it's a bit odd because it's still a "ranged spell attack" (and not a ranged weapon attack) if you throw one of the stones or hurl it from a sling.

ALSO EDIT: Light Clerics get Potent Spellcasting instead of Divine Strike (+Wis mod to Sacred Flame damage), so weapon use is suboptimal for them since it never scales.

Biggstick
2017-01-05, 06:49 PM
Light Cleric option: Sacred Flame. No attack roll required, thus works just fine in melee range.

Favored Soul Sorcerer option: Shocking Grasp. Melee spell attack roll that keys off Charisma, thus works just fine in melee range.

I don't really see what all the worry is about, as you have two perfectly good melee options available to either build.

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 06:54 PM
Light Cleric option: Sacred Flame. No attack roll required, thus works just fine in melee range.

Favored Soul Sorcerer option: Shocking Grasp. Melee spell attack roll that keys off Charisma, thus works just fine in melee range.

I don't really see what all the worry is about, as you have two perfectly good melee options available to either build.

I'm worried more about some of the spells. Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds, Chromatic Orb, Scorching Ray. All key lower level spells, which at lv3, are huge.

King539
2017-01-05, 06:56 PM
Inflict Wounds is a Melee Attack, which isn't at disadvantage in melee.

Biggstick
2017-01-05, 07:06 PM
I'm worried more about some of the spells. Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds, Chromatic Orb, Scorching Ray. All key lower level spells, which at lv3, are huge.

Inflict Wounds will be fine, as it's still a melee spell attack.

All the other spells will work fine at a distance as you close the gap on the enemy anyways.

If you're truly worried about the other spells, do a quick damage comparison imo.

Guiding Bolt: Advantage for next attacker if the attack hits, average radiant damage is 14.
Inflict Wounds: Melee spell attack (uses spell modifier to attack with), average necrotic damage is 16.5.
Chromatic Orb: Ranged spell attack with a variable damage type, average elemental damage is 13.5.

I'm not really up for the math on comparing whether or not the three attack rolls from Scorching Ray are better then the single attack roll from a level 2 Inflict Wounds, but here is the average damage if all the rays hit from Scorching Ray and average damage of a level 2 Inflict Wounds.

Inflict Wounds (level 2): average necrotic damage is 22.
Scorching Ray: average fire damage is 21.
So Inflict Wounds is going to really be able to act as your primary melee spell. Necrotic damage is rarely resisted and it has comparable damage to each of the spells you've listed. If you really want to use those other spells, just use them as you're approaching the melee action, and then switch to the melee cantrips suggested.

JAL_1138
2017-01-05, 07:06 PM

Inflict Wounds uses a melee spell attack. No problem.

Guiding Bolt, Scorching Ray, and Chromatic Orb would be at Disadvantage if there is an enemy within 5ft of you, without Crossbow Expert. They are not the only tricks up your sleeve. Light Clerics and Sorcerers both get AoEs that do decent damage and can be used in melee (e.g., Burning Hands). Options include casting them before enemies get in melee range, backing out of melee and risking the op attacks, having your melee friend grapple enemies and move them away from you, don't cast these in melee, or take Crossbow Expert. They're useful spells but they're not utterly vital to your success.

EDIT: Ninja'd. See Biggstick's post above; it's more thorough than this one.

Shining Wrath
2017-01-05, 07:16 PM
I'd say if you want to be a cleric who fights in the front lines next to your buddy, be a Paladin. A quick "lay on hands" for 15 HP is a good use of an action at level 3 if the battle is going badly.

Aaron Underhand
2017-01-05, 07:39 PM
I would just add that up to level 5 you probably do more damage with a finesse weapon (if you can use one) than with sacred flame. At level 1 doing d8+2 with a attack of 4 is probably better than sacred flame's d8 with save DC of 13.

After level 5 the weapons are less useful, before level 5 the difference between +2 and +3 on the weapon stat is minor

Still rate that Light Cleric, as "everything you need for the two man party"....

jaappleton
2017-01-05, 07:40 PM
Hmmmm....

Ok. So I can Sacred Flame to my hearts content.

I can hurl Fireballs without any worry.

Guiding Bolt, Scorching Ray are out. Ok.

Looking at the spell lists, what's better because of this?
Really thinking the Cleric wins out, at least before 5th level spells or so...

Pichu
2017-01-05, 09:25 PM

There's absolutely zero reason for you to insult me that sort of tone. Because we both know there's a tone in your post.

If it's cantrips you want, it's cantrip you'll get. The Shillelagh cantrip allows you to turn a quarterstaff into a (magical?) d8 weapon that uses your spellcasting stat instead of Strength.Playing many clerics myself, I would reccomend the Spiritual Weapon spell. It's a bonus action spell that allows you to make attacks with a floating sword that can move around, last for a whole encounter. It can keep moving around and attacking. Cast it round 1 and then each turn attack with it and then use you action for healing or what not! Just remember that SW can make an attack when you summon it!

Connington
2017-01-05, 10:14 PM
Hmmmm....

"Out" is a strong word. They're inappropriate in certain situations. They're also not cantrips, so you shouldn't be spamming them anyways.

You intend to fight primarily in melee alongside the other PC. That's great. But you're going to face plenty of situations where high value targets are out of melee range (flying foes, across a canyon, can't leave the sacred artifact unattended, etc). Your partner will be of limited use, and that's when you bust out the big guns. Ranged attack spells aren't useless for a front line caster, they're just a tool with limitations.

And remember, you can totally cast without Disadvantage at a foe outside of melee range even if you're in melee with another opponent. "Don't hit my Fighter like that! Suck on this Scorching Ray, and don't make me come over there!"

You seem to have some tunnel vision about having all of your combat spells be useful all the time with your preferred style. It's fine (and actually a great idea) to have spells to cover your weaknesses as well as your strengths.

King539
2017-01-05, 11:13 PM
Hmmmm....

I'd recommend joining melee only in the second or third round. The first one or two rounds can be spent blasting with Guiding Bolt and Scorching Ray. Fighter McGreatsword can survive for a couple rounds on his own.

XmonkTad
2017-01-06, 07:02 AM

Magic Missile.

JobsforFun
2017-01-06, 09:29 AM

I guess I have been doing this all wrong. So whenever using sometime like poison spray instead of rolling against the enemies constitution you add your SPELL CASTING + Proficiency and that gives the DC they have to make to not get effected by the spell?

But yes if you wanna stick to cleric just choose spells that wont be effected by the disadvantage?

JobsforFun
2017-01-06, 09:33 AM
Magic Missile.

Magic Missile although it hits no matter what if the DM of this campaign notices him using the spell a lot he can give certain NPCs the 'shield' spell causing them to take no damage from this spell.

RulesJD
2017-01-06, 10:46 AM
*snip*

And remember, you can totally cast without Disadvantage at a foe outside of melee range even if you're in melee with another opponent.

*snip*

No you can't. The OP barely understands the rules as is, don't confusing him any further.

PHB pg. 195. - "When you make a ranged attack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn't incapacitated."

RulesJD
2017-01-06, 10:47 AM

That's the tone of a post when responding to somehow who clearly has no grasp of the rules. Without a grasp of even the basic rules as written in the PHB, we can't offer you advice because you can't accurately articulate what you want. The last page of comments of people correcting you and going "huh, what?" in response to your request is evidence of that.

jaappleton
2017-01-06, 10:58 AM
The OP barely understands the rules as is, don't confusing him any further.

So because I forgot a rule, I barely understand the concept of the game?

You're the pinnacle of everything I strive to not be.

jaappleton
2017-01-06, 11:27 AM
I forgot one rule about using spells in melee. One.

Someone mentioned GFB and BB, and in haste, I combined that post with another one, which led to some confusion regarding whether or not those two cantrips used the spellcasting stat or not.

Suddenly I know nothing, apparently, because of that. I can barely grasp the concept of 5E.

Ok. Whatever you say.

CantigThimble
2017-01-06, 11:44 AM
I guess I have been doing this all wrong. So whenever using sometime like poison spray instead of rolling against the enemies constitution you add your SPELL CASTING + Proficiency and that gives the DC they have to make to not get effected by the spell?

Yeah, if a spell reqires a saving throw then they roll 1d20+their saving throw bonus vs 8+your spellcasting stat bonus+your proficiency modifier. PHB pg. 205.

MBControl
2017-01-06, 12:05 PM
This might be stupid.

Is there anyway you could wield a reach weapon, staying in casting range without disadvantage?

Your fighter should be pulling the focus, and he may even have some sort of compelled duel type skills.

jaappleton
2017-01-06, 12:10 PM
This might be stupid.

Is there anyway you could wield a reach weapon, staying in casting range without disadvantage?

Your fighter should be pulling the focus, and he may even have some sort of compelled duel type skills.

Since I'd want a shield for the AC, the only one handed reach weapon I'm aware of is the whip.

And while the Fighter should be pulling focus, if he pulled the focus of six goblins, at lv3, with 16 AC... That's a problem.

CantigThimble
2017-01-06, 12:32 PM
In summary:
Cleric and Sorcerer are both completely fine options. Personally, I prefer clerics but it's just a matter of opinion at this point. Take a cantrip and maybe one or two other spells specifically for melee but aside from that just take good spells, including ranged options. You aren't going to be in melee every single round and it's not too hard to get out of melee to use ranged spells when they're good, especially with a partner backing you up. If you give me a class and subclass (they're all fine really) then I could give you a specific spell list that I would use but aside from that I don't really see what other optimizing can be done here.

jaappleton
2017-01-06, 12:51 PM
In summary:
If you give me a class and subclass (they're all fine really) then I could give you a specific spell list that I would use but aside from that I don't really see what other optimizing can be done here.

Hill Dwarf Light Cleric

Lv3

16 Con, 14 Dex, 16 Wis

mgshamster
2017-01-06, 12:52 PM
Go with life cleric. Heavy Armor and a shield, better healing. Now you don't have to worry about Dex.

Grab sacred flame cantrip to use in all scenarios.

Be V.Human and get a cool feat - maybe heavy armor master for the damage reduction. Since your attack cantrip relies on their Dex save using your wisdom modifier for the DC, you don't have to worry about firing a ranged attack in melee.

BAM, you're good to go.

Armored Walrus
2017-01-06, 01:04 PM
I still like the light cleric option for the optional blasting, though. I still advocate for that and just grabbing shillelagh from magic initiate. You can still use sacred flame in or out of melee, but with shillelagh you also have an option against enemies with high dex saves.

CantigThimble
2017-01-06, 01:11 PM
Guidance, Sacred Flame, Thaumaturgy
Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Protection from Evil and Good
Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon

That's what I'd take.

If you want other ideas then look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374604-The-Devout-and-the-Dead-a-guide-to-Clerics).

jaappleton
2017-01-06, 01:20 PM
Guidance, Sacred Flame, Thaumaturgy
Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Protection from Evil and Good
Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon

That's what I'd take.

If you want other ideas then look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374604-The-Devout-and-the-Dead-a-guide-to-Clerics).

Honest question: Why Guiding Bolt over Inflict Wounds?

CantigThimble
2017-01-06, 01:26 PM

I like having a long range option that has the possibility of one shotting people, plus giving your greatsword fighter advantage on an attack (against anything tough enough to survive getting hit in the first place) is worth more than 1-2 points of extra damage. Sure inflict wounds scales better with higher level slots, but you know what scales better than either of them? Spiritual weapon.

Flashy
2017-01-06, 01:32 PM
I like having a long range option that has the possibility of one shotting people, plus giving your greatsword fighter advantage on an attack (against anything tough enough to survive getting hit in the first place) is worth more than 1-2 points of extra damage. Sure inflict wounds scales better with higher level slots, but you know what scales better than either of them? Spiritual weapon.

Doesn't Spiritual Weapon only get an extra 1d8 damage per two spell levels? So for a 2d8 spiritual weapon you need it to be through a 4th level slot? I've always found that painfully mediocre.

CantigThimble
2017-01-06, 01:41 PM
Doesn't Spiritual Weapon only get an extra 1d8 damage per two spell levels? So for a 2d8 spiritual weapon you need it to be through a 4th level slot? I've always found that painfully mediocre.

I was referring to how spiritual weapon is a much better use of a second level slot (which is the highest he has right now) than an upcasted guiding bolt or inflict wounds, but I suppose I didn't make that very clear. My bad.

Spiriah
2017-01-06, 01:53 PM
Assuming that you're using feats, your teammate the Fighter is one of the best people to give Advantage, because of Great Weapon Master's ability to subtract 5 from your attack roll for a +10 to damage. Advantage helps him offset the hit penalty, so those higher-damage swings will land more reliably.

Besides, I think the flexibility of Guiding Bolt's range outweighs the +2.5 average damage of Inflict Wounds (as well as the fact that Radiant is a better damage type than Necrotic) – you can toss out a GB while moving to engage the enemy in melee, or you can shoot at flying targets (which often have high Dex, so Sacred Flame would be less effective), whereas Inflict Wounds is just like a bigger melee swing. And if you do want to deal more melee damage, Spiritual Weapon is (as mentioned above) a solid choice.

Zene
2017-01-06, 02:50 PM
Honestly I like your original plan (or the favored soul front-line one at least). Take any non-attack roll cantrip i.e. saving throw cantrips --poison spray is fun as heck, and can be twinned; acid splash is also fun, and has a nice range on it just in case you aren't close by-- and use it as your main attack. No problem with being up close when you want to be, or at range when you want to be, and you can then focus on boosting your casting stat instead of a melee attack stat.

It may not be optimal damage-wise, but it can be a lot of fun, and you'll then get to support your fighter from the front lines. No need to rework your whole approach.