PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimized Barbearian

ingenuus
2017-01-05, 05:42 PM
Hey everyone,

How would you go about making an optimized Barbearian for a game that will start at level three and go up to probably 15 or so? Here are the parameters for this:

I am planning on multiclassing Barbarian and Druid (for bear form or something else if others feel there is better optimization to be had)
Material open for use is any released books and any Unearthed Arcana
Starting at level three, but cannot multiclass in those three levels (free to do so afterwards though)
Able to roll for stats or use point buy
Character will be one of one or two melee characters in a party (other specific classes are not yet decided on for sure though)

How would you build this out?

Thanks in advance!

Escribblings
2017-01-05, 06:09 PM
Well I don't know if I can shed any light as I am really new to this, but I can tell what I'm doing and what I like the sound of...

Firstly though, I have to ask, you say Barbearian - is that a typo? Or are you specifically looking at bear totem?

I'm currently a L1 barb (will be L2 as soon as battle is over and just shy of L3)

I'm playing as a Goliath with great sword. That was the race that fitted best with what I wanted to achieve/be.

Because I'm going frenzy barb, mechanically I think the half-orc with great axe would be the better bet.

I've had a couple of threads on this matter myself...

Goliath Barbarian Fighter Query (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?506829-Goliath-Barbarian-Fighter-query) and Barbarian frenzy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510834-Barbarian-Frenzy)

The consensus is whether you multiclass or not, get barb to 5 for the extra attack.

Personally I'm looking at barb (frenzy) to 5 then fighter to 3 taking the GWF fighting style and champion for the improved crit. if your half-orc you get an EXTRA damage die off the bat which negates the brutal crit that you can get from Barb 9

Once at barb 5 fighter 3 I would take barb to 7. Then, IMO you want to take fighter to 11 for the stacking extra attack.

After that it's up to you where you put the last 2 levels...

B7 F13 gains another use of indomitable
B8 F12 gains 1 extra ASI
B9 F11 gains a Brutal Crit die.

Level Prof Features Rages Rage
Bonus Dmg
1 B1 +2 Rage, Unarmored Defense 2 +2
2 B2 +2 Reckless Attack, Danger Sense 2 +2
3 B3 +2 Path of the Beserker - Frenzy 3 +2
4 B4 +2 Ability Score Improvement 3 +2
5 B5 +3 Extra Attack, Fast Movement 3 +2
6 B5/F1 +3 Great Weapon Fighting, Second Wind 3 +2
7 B5/F2 +3 Action Surge (one use) 3 +2
8 B5/F3 +3 Champion - Improved Critical 3 +2
9 B6/F3 +4 Path of the Beserker - Mindless rage 4 +2
10 B7/F3 +4 Feral Instinct 4 +2
11 B7/F4 +4 Ability Score Improvement 4 +2
12 B7/F5 +4 4 +2
13 B7/F6 +5 Ability Score Improvement 4 +2
14 B7/F7 +5 Champion - remarkable Athlete 4 +2
15 B7/F8 +5 Ability Score Improvement 4 +2
16 B7/F9 +5 Indomitable (one use) 4 +2
17 B7/F10 +6 Champion - Additional Fighting Style 4 +2
18 B7/F11 +6 Extra Attack (2) 4 +2

ingenuus
2017-01-05, 06:16 PM
Oh my gosh...sorry for not being clear! I want to go with a Barbearian build (as I have heard it called) that will be a MC of Barb and Druid (shifting into a bear).

I will add an extra point and update the original post!

bid
2017-01-05, 06:44 PM
You can be barbarian 3, and wait until level 5 to use bear form.
You can be druid 3, and wait until level 4 to rage in bear form.

IIRC, bear becomes weak around level 7.

Bugado25
2017-01-05, 09:32 PM
I suggest you to start as a full druid and then take your barbarian levels.

Otherwise you will miss the golden levels of wild shape. A CR 1 creature is pretty strong by Lv 2-4, but quickly loses its luster when martials start getting their extra attacks.

Specter
2017-01-05, 10:18 PM
First of all, any caster class along with Barb is not optimized. If you need to optimize harshly fir a game, then drop Druid or go full Druid. Allz I'm sayen.

So... Barbearian. You can already resist pretty much all damage, so the next step is to pump your mental defenses. Take Resilient (WIS) as a feat. Trust me, you don't wanna be the invincible guy tearing through your party.

bid
2017-01-05, 11:29 PM
Take Resilient (WIS) as a feat.
Druid save proficiencies: Int and Wis.

SillyPopeNachos
2017-01-06, 06:30 AM
First of all, any caster class along with Barb is not optimized. If you need to optimize harshly fir a game, then drop Druid or go full Druid. Allz I'm sayen.

So... Barbearian. You can already resist pretty much all damage, so the next step is to pump your mental defenses. Take Resilient (WIS) as a feat. Trust me, you don't wanna be the invincible guy tearing through your party.
This gets the crux of the Druid and Barbarian class. If the campaign is going all the way to 20, it's bad to multiclass either of them because the capstones of each are incredibly powerful. If the campaign is not going all the way to 20, barbarian multiclasses much better with Paladin or Fighter.

Specter
2017-01-06, 07:34 AM
Druid save proficiencies: Int and Wis.

But then you'd lose CON save prof, and that's just harsh.

ingenuus
2017-01-06, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Normally when I make characters, I try to optimized based on the role I will be filling in the group. In this case, I started with the concept (that I know by itself is not optimal), but I want to try to get the most out of MCing these two together. Just saying that to point out that I am not trying to go for a hardcore optimization overall, just trying to get the most out of a barbarian and druid MC.

Starting with Druid makes sense to ride the wave early, but how far would you suggest I go before switching over to barbarian?

Dr.Samurai
2017-01-06, 11:49 AM
Barbearian
Finally, the correct spelling of the Bear Totem Barbarian. I am at peace now. *fades away*

hymer
2017-01-06, 12:03 PM
Before you commit to this, you need to talk with your DM and find out exactly how s/he's going to decide that a bunch of stuff from barbarian works with druid stuff, particularly wild shape. You can find a bunch of questions and links to a few developer answers here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?457532-Druid-Multiclassing-an-addendum-%28WIP%29).
For general advice, I'd suggest only one level of barbarian, so you'd want to start as druid3. You'd drop in the barbarian level when you feel like it. Do note that this is not in itself sufficient to make wild shape your main combat shtick e.g. around level 8. Be flexible and use spells when this is the case. You may want to wait with the barb dip until elemental shapes have been achieved at druid10.
A possible alternative is that you get a favourable ruling on the interaction between Extra Attack and use of Wild Shape, in which case you may be able to defend the investment of barb5, and so start as barb3. If that's the case, I'd heavily suggest going straight to barb5, and then add on druid from there. It won't feel like a barbearian for a while, but it'd be a workable character.