PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Converting A Reason Stealer?

Palanan
2017-01-05, 09:34 PM
The reason stealer is perfect for the next segment of my campaign…I’m just not sure how much needs changing to fit it into Pathfinder.

Most of it looks pretty straightforward, but is there anything to be aware of? And should the CR be adjusted?

exelsisxax
2017-01-05, 09:50 PM
Well are you going to post a statblock so us pathfinder-only forumites can have an idea what you're talking about?

Palanan
2017-01-05, 09:57 PM
Should've mentioned this is from MM2, which is slightly notorious for its wonky CR ratings.

Its main schtick is Devour Mind, which allows it to absorb skill ranks and other bonuses from a creature it kills with its slam attack. Its Hit Dice are listed as 5d10+15 and its slam attack is +5.

inuyasha
2017-01-05, 11:46 PM
Just so you know, this exact topic is covered in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, so I'm going to add in my own recommendation...
If you're concerned about MM2's wonky CR, run it through VT's calculator. I find this pretty accurate.
#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5.
4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if its got a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR

Next, the Pathfinder Core Rulebook suggests to lower the creature's CR (recalculated, if need be) by 1 point and then add the Advanced Creature template.

It's a quick and dirty conversion, but that's what I'd recommend, so that you don't overthink it :smallsmile:

Palanan
2017-01-06, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by inuyasha
If you're concerned about MM2's wonky CR, run it through VT's calculator. I find this pretty accurate.

It’s late and I’m not sure if I’m doing this correctly, because I followed the steps and came up with 4.77. Some of the steps involve judgement calls, and I’m not sure how to account for certain features:

1. It’s 5 HD with 42 hp, so that should be 42/4.5 = 9.3.

2. AC is 5, so that should be -1 for 8.3.

3. Two special attacks (devour mind and improved grab) so that should bring it to 10.3. (But it also has the potential for limited spellcasting, not sure if that merits an additional point.)

4. This one is tricky. It has blindsight, ooze traits, something called “grotesque form,” and then a strange version of DR which I assume is a 3.0 artifact. Simply going by raw number of qualities (4) brings it up to 14.3.

5. No bonus feats.

6. 14.3/3 = 4.77.

The listed CR for the reason stealer is 5, so that whole operation didn’t take me too far—unless I didn’t account for something correctly.

Next, the Pathfinder Core Rulebook suggests to lower the creature's CR (recalculated, if need be) by 1 point and then add the Advanced Creature template.

Where is this in the CRB?

I’m looking in the index and can’t find anything under Advanced, Creature, Template or converting. No idea where else to look.

inuyasha
2017-01-06, 09:56 AM
Oh, maybe it's in the first Bestiary! That was a silly mistake on my part.

Palanan
2017-01-06, 10:34 AM
Oh, maybe it's in the first Bestiary! That was a silly mistake on my part.

Bestiary, p. 294.

Seems like a simple template…but why is it necessary to apply it? If Pathfinder CRs are a touch stronger, why not just keep the reason stealer as is and call it CR 4?

inuyasha
2017-01-06, 11:16 AM
That would probably work just fine, I don't really know why the book suggests it.