PDA

View Full Version : General Ravenloft Question: Do all the Dark Lords have their own adventure?

Mith
2017-01-05, 10:46 PM
Hello,

I have plans for a campaign I may one day run. It's only in it's initial stages now, but it will likely heavily involve Ravenloft. I was wondering if the other Darklords of Ravenloft such as Lord Soth, Venca, and so on, or is Strahd the only Darklord of Ravenloft to have a published adventure?

shuyung
2017-01-05, 11:04 PM
Others do, but it may be a bit difficult to track them down. Soth is found in a couple of old Dragonlance modules. Azalin has a couple of old Ravenloft modules, and also appears in I10: The House on Griffon Hill. You'd have to do some digging.

Mith
2017-01-05, 11:29 PM
Others do, but it may be a bit difficult to track them down. Soth is found in a couple of old Dragonlance modules. Azalin has a couple of old Ravenloft modules, and also appears in I10: The House on Griffon Hill. You'd have to do some digging.

Thanks for the reply. I found Domains of Dread
(https://www.amazon.ca/Domains-Dread-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786906723/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) and reviews mention that the information within the book can be found in Ravenloft and Forbidden Lore Box sets. Combining these with The House on Griffon Hill should make a decent amount of information to work with, correct?

My idea is to have a overarching campaign that runs the players through all the Darklords, gaining a Macguffin at every point. I realize that a chance of "victory" is not a concept in Gothic Horror, but I think after running through my campaign, it would be a suitable victory for the party.

shuyung
2017-01-06, 12:19 AM
Possibly? It depends on what information you are looking for. There was a series of Ravenloft sourcebooks published by White Wolf's Sword and Sorcery imprint for the d20 system. So if you want the original AD&D era information, you've got the right stuff. If you want the d20 era information, you would want to look for those, instead.

Mith
2017-01-06, 12:30 AM
I plan to run this in 5e, so I have heard that AD&D is probably the easiest to convert things over.

My search is more to get ideas for developing adventures for each of the Dark Lords of Ravenloft. If there are actual adventures for each of the Dark Lords, that helps in developing my campaigns.

LibraryOgre
2017-01-06, 11:45 AM
I know some smaller realms had adventures against their Dark Lord published in Dungeon.

Tyrrell
2017-01-06, 03:04 PM
Google found me a pdf of the 2nd ed adventure Vecna Lives wherein you start the game by handing the players Bigby (of the hand spells), Drawmij (as in instant summons), Nystul (as in nystul's magic aura), Otiluke (the guy with the spheres), Otto (of irresistible dance fame), and Rary (as in Rary's mnemonic enhancer) to play. Then you have the DM kill all of the characters to show how serious the adventure is.

That seems a bit tasteless to me, but I've never read the module only skimmed it.

Mith
2017-01-06, 03:12 PM
I know some smaller realms had adventures against their Dark Lord published in Dungeon.

Thanks. I'll look into those as well and see if I can get my hands on reasonably priced copies.

Google found me a pdf of the 2nd ed adventure Vecna Lives wherein you start the game by handing the players Bigby (of the hand spells), Drawmij (as in instant summons), Nystul (as in nystul's magic aura), Otiluke (the guy with the spheres), Otto (of irresistible dance fame), and Rary (as in Rary's mnemonic enhancer) to play. Then you have the DM kill all of the characters to show how serious the adventure is.

That seems a bit tasteless to me, but I've never read the module only skimmed it.

I agree. Granted, I am looking forward to either running or playing alongside a newish to D&D group Tomb of Horrors. Not sure if my judgement is calibrated very well.