PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Vermin Trainer Questions:

mabriss lethe
2017-01-06, 12:39 AM
I've been sketching out a character based around the Vermin Trainer feat in Drow of the Underdark. As part of the exploration, I started putting together some vermin to play with, and then I hit on a few questions that I didn't have complete answers to.

1. The Warbeast template is pretty much a given, since it's a nice boost, and gives a definite base price to acquire modified vermin. It, however, has caveats excluding some features from vermin warbeasts on the grounds that. as Vermin, they can't be trained. Does Vermin Trainer negate those exclusions, since it negates the stated grounds for them?

2. Also concerning Warbeast: Can the Template be applied to an insect swarm? (since swarms are treated as single creatures and retain their base type)

3. And back to the Vermin Trainer feat, can it be used to handle and train a swarm, due to the same reasoning as #2?

4. While I'm at it, could a vermin trainer use a swarm for a mount? (cue the creeptastic mental image of a villain riding a writhing wave of centipedes into battle)

mabriss lethe
2017-01-06, 02:50 PM
I've answered some of this on my own now:

1. Ask your DM, but probably no.
2 and 3. Nothing i've keeps you from having and handling a warbeast swarm with vermin trainer.
4. Nope, unless you're small enough to ride the base creature already.

Flickerdart
2017-01-06, 02:54 PM
If you are undead or a construct, you can become a Hivenest creature and let your swarm live inside you. It's not quite like using the swarm as a mount, but the swarm can use you as a mount!

mabriss lethe
2017-01-06, 07:21 PM
If you are undead or a construct, you can become a Hivenest creature and let your swarm live inside you. It's not quite like using the swarm as a mount, but the swarm can use you as a mount!

I may add that to the list. It seems that the VT feat is basically opening a serious can of weirdness. I'm halfway tempted to turn it into a sort of mini-handbook.

My favorite bit that I want to share:

Milking the Centipede: AKA Daddy's Little Moneymaker

Here's a riddle for you. What's hard like stone, As big around as a halfling's arm, and long enough to tie around your waist? Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about a Small Monstrous Centipede Warbeast. At 50 gp, the little tickler will definitely make your 1st level Vermin Trainer's starting gear list. Why? He's as cheap as you can make a warbeast, and his venom has an easily found list price. You didn't buy the DLM for combat, you bought him to get ahead on the WBL curve. Each dose requires two dc 15 skill checks to create, but can be sold for 45 gp apiece. (there's also no hard and fast limit on how many times a creature can bestow poison in a given day, so even a little downtime can be extremely profitable) Program him with the following Handle Animal Tricks: Bestow Venom, Down, and Heel, and always remember Daddy's Little Moneymaker is more of a lover than a fighter.

Novolin
2017-01-07, 02:48 AM

Can you actually do that by raw

mabriss lethe
2017-01-07, 12:16 PM
Can you actually do that by raw

It's precisely what the Hivenest Monster template does, Though you need Large or larger undead, construct, or plant creature as the base. I'm also not sure if it's appropriate for PC use. (It could make a neat mount for someone immune to the swarm's rider ability.)

daremetoidareyo
2017-01-07, 12:29 PM
Make your handbook and I'll link it in my vermin compendium. (In Sig)