PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Animus Swordsman (3.5 Base Class)[PEACH]

gooddragon1
2017-01-06, 04:04 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

nonsi
2017-01-06, 11:27 AM
Several observations:
1. At level 16, all animus swordsmen are a carbon copy of one another, class-wise.
2. Melee Weapon Mastery is damage-type oriented, not weapon oriented.
3. Animus Swordsman gains absolutely nothing new to talk about at levels 2, 8, 14, 17 and 19. You should spread the class abilities more evenly and distribute Fighter bonus feats at whatever dead levels you're left with, allowing the character to swap those bonus feats with fighter substitution features (e.g. Dungeon Crasher and Counterattack). This will give you some character build versatility.
4. What do you get at 15th if you happen to have chosen Improved Critical as a feat?
5. Why do you limit so many class features to Bastard Sword? Different people have different character concepts in mind. At the very least, make it any sword other than greatsword, which is a bit clumsy for flashy moves.

gooddragon1
2017-01-06, 12:53 PM
Several observations:
1. At level 16, all animus swordsmen are a carbon copy of one another, class-wise.
2. Melee Weapon Mastery is damage-type oriented, not weapon oriented.
3. Animus Swordsman gains absolutely nothing new to talk about at levels 2, 8, 14, 17 and 19. You should spread the class abilities more evenly and distribute Fighter bonus feats at whatever dead levels you're left with, allowing the character to swap those bonus feats with fighter substitution features (e.g. Dungeon Crasher and Counterattack). This will give you some character build versatility.
4. What do you get at 15th if you happen to have chosen Improved Critical as a feat?
5. Why do you limit so many class features to Bastard Sword? Different people have different character concepts in mind. At the very least, make it any sword other than greatsword, which is a bit clumsy for flashy moves.

1. I am aware. Though yeah, I'll probably do something about that too I think. Not sure though.
2. I know, but it's the way it is.
3. I'll look into that.
4. You shouldn't...
5. It's the anime animus swordsman. They must use the katana bastard sword (well, not must, but there's a significant incentive to do so). It really should be katana's only, but you've got a good point.

Edit:
1 and 3 should now be resolved. The rest are just what the class is.

nonsi
2017-01-06, 11:36 PM
2. I know, but it's the way it is.

It's a sad day when a class ability is inferior to a feat.
Speaking of class abilities vs. feats... regarding Superb Parrying, I'd drop the -5s, and start counting AoOs only after the first parry.
1. Deflect Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#deflectArrows) says: "Attempting to deflect a ranged weapon doesn’t count as an action".
2. Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm) are resolved at your normal attack bonus.

4. You shouldn't...

What does that mean?
Assuming I reached 9th level and took Imp. Crit using a general feat (because I don't want to wait another 6 levels to get it). What am I getting at 15th?

Edit:
1 and 3 should now be resolved. The rest are just what the class is.

I think you meant 3 and 5.
You still have only 6 Animus Talent options available (unless I'm missing something).

2 more observation
1. Timeless Body refers to Monk instead of Animus Swordsman.
2. AC bonus is too little to late to count for anything meaningful.

And why is this class getting only 2 skill points per level?

gooddragon1
2017-01-07, 01:13 AM
It's a sad day when a class ability is inferior to a feat.
Speaking of class abilities vs. feats... regarding Superb Parrying, I'd drop the -5s, and start counting AoOs only after the first parry.
1. Deflect Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#deflectArrows) says: "Attempting to deflect a ranged weapon doesn’t count as an action".
2. Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm) are resolved at your normal attack bonus.

Considering the number of class features it gets, I don't know that giving him too much power would be a good thing.

What does that mean?
Assuming I reached 9th level and took Imp. Crit using a general feat (because I don't want to wait another 6 levels to get it). What am I getting at 15th?

I'll fix that I guess by giving an extra option on the fighter bonus feat/favored-ish enemy.

I think you meant 3 and 5.
You still have only 6 Animus Talent options available (unless I'm missing something).

That's true, but now you can choose different fighter bonus feats and/or attack bonus against various enemy types like a ranger.

If you really want I'll try to make some more, but if you can think of any stereotypical anime swordsman moves that I haven't listed I'll try to make those.

2 more observation
1. Timeless Body refers to Monk instead of Animus Swordsman.
2. AC bonus is too little to late to count for anything meaningful.

And why is this class getting only 2 skill points per level?

1. Fixed
2. He does get armor unlike the monk and dex is one of his two main ability score focuses

2 skill points per level because only 8 class skills and anime swords people aren't really known for much else besides combat (at least as far as I know).

nonsi
2017-01-07, 10:24 AM
Considering the number of class features it gets, I don't know that giving him too much power would be a good thing.

Wouldn't make much of a difference power-wise. Since the Animus Swordsman possesses impressive range powers, most combative opponents would lose that competition, so it's in their best interest to close the gap and go for melee.

That's true, but now you can choose different fighter bonus feats and/or attack bonus against various enemy types like a ranger.

If you really want I'll try to make some more, but if you can think of any stereotypical anime swordsman moves that I haven't listed I'll try make those.

Not an expert on Anime.

2. He does get armor unlike the monk and dex is one of his two main ability score focuses

Fair enough.

2 skill points per level because only 8 class skills and anime swords people aren't really known for much else besides combat (at least as far as I know).

Still, 2 skill points per level for a class that regards Int as dump stat is too little. Players also want to count for something outside of battle.
Even with 4 per level, you're not gonna cover them all. I don't see any scenario where an animus swordsman would have Int 18 (just aint worth the investment of character resources).

gooddragon1
2017-01-07, 10:06 PM
Wouldn't make much of a difference power-wise. Since the Animus Swordsman possesses impressive range powers, most combative opponents would lose that competition, so it's in their best interest to close the gap and go for melee.

I don't want the Animus Swordsman to be able to automatically no-sell all ranged attacks. Iterative ranged attacks generally have a -5 to each roll afterwards too. Deflect arrows works only on 1 and can't work on spells and such (without an epic feat).

Not an expert on Anime.

I've got an idea of some people who might know more... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?434264-General-Anime-Manga-Discussion-14-Second-Cour&p=21573274#post21573274)

Still, 2 skill points per level for a class that regards Int as dump stat is too little. Players also want to count for something outside of battle.
Even with 4 per level, you're not gonna cover them all. I don't see any scenario where an animus swordsman would have Int 18 (just aint worth the investment of character resources).

I'll change it, but I think I'd want to add some more skill options though. So if you can think of any that would be appropriate let me know.

EDIT: Now it has 10 techniques and can learn 7 by 19th level.