PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying So....I opened the Arms & Equipment Guide.......

Almightybacon
2017-01-06, 05:07 AM
So, I am relatively new to D&D and don't do it often and I hadn't looked in many books. I was looking around for items to cause shenanigans with and to my surprise I found marbles in the Arms & Equipment guide.

Now, our DM is making us start at level 3 and gave us 5400 gold, so after I spent most of it on magical items and general use potions/food. I looked at those marbles with desire. I spent 100 gold getting 500 marbles for 2 silver a piece. "2 silver a piece? that's pretty expensive if you ask me, kids must not use marbles much in this era". Skip to 5 minutes later my friend speaks up and yells "Oh god no, you didn't buy 500 marbles, you bought 500 BAGS of marbles.

My friend informed me that each bag of marbles has 2 dozen in it.
So let's do the math.

500x24 = 12'000

I just bought 12'000 marbles that weigh a total of 2000 lbs.
I have my concerns, but before I decide to get rid of them, I ask you all........what should I do to harass my DM with these marbles if possible?

Inevitability
2017-01-06, 05:15 AM
How are you carrying those things? Did you buy a trio of mules and heavily encumber them all with the marbles, or something?

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-06, 05:24 AM
Marbles have their uses. There is no good reason to have that many marbles. Keep like 3 bags of 'em and get your money back for the other 47.

Alent
2017-01-06, 05:46 AM
Don't carry them. Buy a few pushbrooms on 10 ft poles and just sweep them along the dungeon as you travel as a group. :smallamused:

It's even better if he runs a retro module adaptation where the kobolds actually have pushbrooms and caltrops as a combat strategy, because suddenly your DM ends up trying to figure out how to handle a pushbroom duel.

John Longarrow
2017-01-06, 05:58 AM
Step 1) Pour bags out on road.
Step 2) Lay down on layer of marbles
Step 3) Begin sliding on marbles.

When DM asks what you are doing, say "Hey, there Marbles. I'm Roll playing!"

Almightybacon
2017-01-06, 06:11 AM
I've split all of the marbles among my party members and their mounts

I heard that later, because of our DM loving the creature, we might encounter a Tarrasque

could 12'000 marbles trip a Tarrasque if it rolled low enough?

Also the push broom and sliding methods are wonderful, maybe I could open up my own road of travel including the equivalent usage of curling methods
Push brooms to clear any other obstacles, and the marbles to lead you to victory
Human Curling has been achieved.

Eldan
2017-01-06, 06:30 AM
I forgot the rules for marbles, but yeah, possibly. Tripping the Tarrasque is actually a favoured tactic of dealing with it. It's more or less helpless against Grease, for one.

Inevitability
2017-01-06, 07:46 AM
Except Huge or larger creatures 'tend to crush the marbles into dust', as said in the description. I seriously doubt the tarrasque is not amongst those.

Pleh
2017-01-06, 10:18 AM
Marbles can be ammunition for a sling. You could enchant the sling to throw magic marbles at people to generate magic effects.

Or just enchant the marbles directly and Craft Wonderous Item for fun shenanigans.

Toss a bag of marbles and have them cast Grease on the ground where they scatter.

Or what if they instead cast "Stone to Mud" or "Entangle"? Pick your favorite spell.

Flickerdart
2017-01-06, 10:45 AM
Someone who's gone crazy has lost his marbles. So if you ever get hit by an insanity spell, you've got plenty of marbles left.

Inevitability
2017-01-06, 11:26 AM
Someone who's gone crazy has lost his marbles. So if you ever get hit by an insanity spell, you've got plenty of marbles left.

Au contraire. Rather, if the PC in question ever goes insane, they'll immediately lose all of their marbles. I suggest getting a source of insanity immunity (abyss-bound soul?).

Flickerdart
2017-01-06, 11:33 AM
Au contraire. Rather, if the PC in question ever goes insane, they'll immediately lose all of their marbles. I suggest getting a source of insanity immunity (abyss-bound soul?).

Obviously you keep some of your marbles loaned out to other people, so you can have a backup set of marbles.

John Longarrow
2017-01-06, 12:35 PM
Obviously you keep some of your marbles loaned out to other people, so you can have a backup set of marbles.

So they also carry screwdrivers? After all, if you've got a screw loose...

daremetoidareyo
2017-01-06, 12:39 PM
Become a serial killer assassin and leave a bag of marbles on all of your victims.

The news cryers will be all like, "Another victim of the Marble Murderer"

Vizzerdrix
2017-01-06, 12:46 PM
Except Huge or larger creatures 'tend to crush the marbles into dust', as said in the description. I seriously doubt the tarrasque is not amongst those.

Sounds like a plot hook to me. Allmightybacon and the Quest for the Uncrushable Marbles!

Inevitability
2017-01-06, 12:47 PM
Become a serial killer assassin and leave a bag of marbles on all of your victims.

The news cryers will be all like, "Another victim of the Marble Murderer"

"It appears the Marble Murderer..." *puts on sunglasses* "...is on a roll."
YEEEEAAAHHH!

awa
2017-01-06, 01:22 PM
I always liked tumbling through an opponents square dropping the marbles as a free action in his square then sneak attacking him while he was flat footed from the marbles.

Almightybacon
2017-01-06, 04:52 PM
I never expected this many responses!

I now have some good ideas for shenanigans, thank you all!

May you all never lose your marbles

Vizzerdrix
2017-01-06, 09:33 PM
If you think marbles are good, go look up shapesand:smallwink: