PDA

View Full Version : Favoured Weapons

Leon
2007-07-18, 01:26 PM
Righto: The various gods have favoured weapons (mostly) what are the Favoured Weapons of the Elements [Fire, Water, Earth, Air]

im seeming to think Spear is water but im a lil hazy

JellyPooga
2007-07-18, 01:29 PM
Earth: Club/Greatclub
Fire: Whip
Air: Crossbow
Water: Trident

Just my opinion though...

Nevar
2007-07-18, 01:37 PM
Earth: Club, Mace, Something heavy and blunt

Fire: Agree with above poster Whip is populer Sword could work (Just cause I think flaming swords are niffty)

Water: Trident has been more historical (Think roman/greek gods) Spear could work as well. I've seen nets and spiked chains suggested before but I'm a little iffy on those

Air: A bow of some type or even a dagger. A lance IMO prob wouldn't be that bad.

Fawsto
2007-07-18, 01:59 PM
Agree with the all elements except Fire:

Fire should get anyhting that is very moveable, like teh Whip for instance, but all chained weapons, expecialy the Spiked Chain are good for Fire Gods.

Ceridan
2007-07-18, 02:11 PM
I would think a scimitar would work well for fire. It has that hot as hell desert feel to it.

cody.burton
2007-07-18, 02:21 PM
I think a rapier would work well for air too, given its reputation for lightness.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-18, 02:50 PM
Earth - quaterstaff
Fire - Greatsword
Air - longbow
Water - trident

adanedhel9
2007-07-18, 02:50 PM
Favored weapons in my campaign are determined (to some extant) by the faithful, not by the deity, so they don't always match perfectly to the concept of the deity.

Air: Shortspear (more of a lightning motif than air per se)
Earth: Heavy Pick (symbol of miners)
Fire: Shortsword (favored weapon of the only culture that worships him)
Water: Cutlass (favored weapon of sailors)

rollfrenzy
2007-07-18, 02:52 PM
element melee/ranged

Earth: Maul / sling
Water : Trident / spear
Air: Whip / longbow
Fire: Scimitar / pistol

lukelightning
2007-07-18, 03:02 PM
I'd say:

Earth: Hammer
Air: Bow
Water: Trident
Fire: Kukri....or alchemist fire!

Wraithy
2007-07-18, 03:08 PM
I've allways imagined it something like so for melee:

Air: the dagger - needs mobility, speed, and its light.
Earth: something heavy - mostly blunt weapons, but also axes.
Water: the rapier or short sword - flowing moves with icy prescision.
Fire: the Falschion - sometimes used artfully, other times to hammer stuff s**tless.

or for ranged:

Air: the bow or shiruken
Earth: throwing axes
Water: nets or throwing knives
Fire: explosives or splash weapons

Mattarias, King.
2007-07-18, 03:11 PM
Earthen weapons tend to be things along the lines of hammers, pickaxes, etcetera.
Those of air are those that soar or manipulate air, like arrows, shortspears, and battle fans.
Water weapons are those that flow, like scarves, whips, and to a lesser extent, chains.
Finally, Fire weapons are those that are purely offensive, and have the biting edge of flame. Swords, daggers, and most manner of bladed weapons are those of fire.

At least, that's how they are in my story, or campaign if i had one..

RedScholarGypsy
2007-07-18, 05:51 PM
Another way to look at it is by type:
Earth - Bludgeon
Fire - Slashing
Water - Piercing
Air - Ranged

I know its not exactly what you asked for, but all the obvious choices have been taken.

Corolinth
2007-07-18, 06:31 PM
I don't believe there are any official favored weapons for the four elements. There's a few ways to approach this. One is to just use the favored weapons of the four elemental deities for the Forgotten Realms setting.

Akadi (air): heavy flail
Grumbar (earth): warhammer
Istishia (water): warhammer
Kossuth (fire): spiked chain

Alternatively, one could look at the Shugenja for ideas, since they are an elemental-focused divine spellcasting class. The shugenja spells that create weapons are:

Air: Yari of Air
Earth: Tetsubo of Earth
Fire: Katana of Fire
Water: Bo of Water

The katana is listed in the PH. It's the Japanese equivalent of the bastard or longsword (of course, in D&D it's statted like a bastard sword). The yari is a six to eight foot long spear. The tetsubo is a greatclub (usually studded with metal). The bo is a quarterstaff.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-07-18, 06:56 PM
I'd have to say guns would be fires favored weapon, because fire is an essential part of it (in a way).

That or a flamethrower :smalltongue:

-Cor-
2007-07-18, 07:37 PM
I'll take a stab at whole combinations:

Water: Net and Trident, Coral Armor, Potions
Air: Composite Longbow and Sleep Arrows, Mithral Armor, Scrolls
Earth: Hammer and Tower Shield, Adamantine Armor, Rods
Fire: Scimitar and Dagger, Twilight Armor, Wands

Raven T.
2007-07-18, 08:24 PM
In the Druidic traditions, Fire is a Sword and Air is a Spear, though the others...Earth is Stone, so I'd go with a Maul, Warhammer, or other blunt weapon and Water is a Chalice, so...a...broken beer bottle?:smallconfused:

Kurobara
2007-07-18, 09:22 PM
Another set of suggestions: if you don't mind me mixing games, you could look at the form weapons of the Elemental Dragon martial arts styles from Exalted.

Air: thrown weapons, (especially chakrams, but chakrams don't exist in D&D anywhere I've personally seen). You could probably roll bows into this too - it's just in Exalted they're form weapons for Wood Dragon Style and archery in general is associated with wood, but wood isn't one of the elements in D&D.
Fire: paired short swords, so I suppose the short sword
Water: brawling aids like katars/punching daggers/etc.
Earth: Away from book and I forget this one, but I want to say greatclub, though possibly it's unarmed.

Corolinth
2007-07-18, 09:27 PM
Wood and metal are elements if you're playing a Wu Jen. And chakrams exist. They're the favored weapon of Shar in FR.

Chakram: exotic ranged weapon (light), 15gp, 1d4 damage, x3 critical, 30ft range increment, 2lb weight, slashing

Kurobara
2007-07-18, 10:58 PM
Wood and metal are elements if you're playing a Wu Jen. And chakrams exist. They're the favored weapon of Shar in FR.

Chakram: exotic ranged weapon (light), 15gp, 1d4 damage, x3 critical, 30ft range increment, 2lb weight, slashing

That's because the Wu Jen, like Exalted, uses the traditional Asian elements (Well, Exalted uses earth air, it's late, I'm getting my element sets mixed up, instead of metal for some reason - I suppose because most of the metals in the setting are either unimportant or associated with other beings altogether). D&D on the whole uses the traditional Western elements.

And I just said I'd never seen the chakrams anywhere myself. Admittedly, I don't really look at exotic weapons, because anything other than a spiked chain is just a waste of a feat. (Even for a spiked chain, it's just as easy to do a polearm and armor spikes.) Nice to know they're around, though.

Leon
2007-07-18, 11:43 PM
Thankyou all for the replies, its provided me with a good set of options to work with

TheOOB
2007-07-19, 12:01 AM
I usually go more generic

Earth: Maces/Hammers
Fire: Axes
Wind: Swords
Water: Polearms

Kurald Galain
2007-07-19, 05:36 AM
Fire: Axes

On the contrary, anything made of wood that can be set on fire.

Solo
2007-07-19, 05:44 AM
I think its time for an Avatar reference.

[Please don't post oversized images, and, if you do, please spoiler them. Remember h-scroll is a harbinger of the fall of civilization.]

Air!
http://www.popcorn.co.uk/static/aang.gif

Water!
http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/119/195.jpg

Earth!
http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/207/229.jpg

and

Fire!
http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/207/250.jpg