PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Swash weapon choice help

ShiningCrusader
2017-01-06, 12:18 PM
Hi everyone, i need some help deciding what to use as my swashbucklers main weapon. currently i have rapier and the following feats, weapon focus (rapier), weapon finesse and fencing grace. though just the other day i saw the bladed brush feat and thought that a glaive swashbuckler would be cool. but i can't decide which is better. note: i'm allowed as a house rule to change my character slightly, Feats/skills/weapons/maybe race if it makes sense/etc.

Rapier
Pros
1) one handed, so free hand
2) allowed to use bucklers
3) easy dex to damage through fencing grace.
4) simple enough to parry/riposte
5) high Crit

Cons
1) 1d6 damage seems a little lackluster
2) no reach
3) too "standered" for swash.

Glaive
Pro
1)reach
2) different in a good way
3) can apply all swash deeds/abilities
4) 1D10 damage

Cons
1) up in the air if bladed brush works with slashing grace.
2) move action so you can to riposte with it.
3) no buckler
4) costs a extra feat.
5) lower crit

I know its a lot easier to use a Rapier, but a glaive seems like such a fun idea, though i feel i might be hurting my self in the long run. thoughts?

Geddy2112
2017-01-06, 12:26 PM
Because of the inspired blade archetype, the rapier is objectively one of the best weapon choices for a swashbuckler. It is basically a straight upgrade to nilla swashbuckler.

The glaive will work with slashing grace BTW, the bladed brush feat lets the glaive count as a 1 handed slashing/piercing weapon for purposes of feats and class abilities. It should also be noted while it lacks the crit range, it does 3x damage on a crit.

ShiningCrusader
2017-01-06, 01:24 PM
Because of the inspired blade archetype, the rapier is objectively one of the best weapon choices for a swashbuckler. It is basically a straight upgrade to nilla swashbuckler.

The glaive will work with slashing grace BTW, the bladed brush feat lets the glaive count as a 1 handed slashing/piercing weapon for purposes of feats and class abilities. It should also be noted while it lacks the crit range, it does 3x damage on a crit.

problem with bladed brush is that it lets you treat it as a one handed P/S weapon for feats, but then the problem is the text in slashing grace. it stats you can apply dex to damage tp one handed p/s weapons, but you can't have anything in your off hand, so the question is, does bladed brush bybass this rule? some say not because "treat is as a one handed weapon" and "wield it as a one handed weapon" are two different things. personally though i hope it works. though at this point i'll need a FaQ on it or a DM houserule. though i love the flavor.