PDA

View Full Version : How does the Magic Jar spell work with magic item attunement?

sir_argo
2017-01-06, 12:38 PM
When you possess the other person's body, the spell says you retain the benefits of your class. You also retain your alignment. It makes no mention of whether you can still use your attuned items. This raises a bunch of questions:

1) Are magic items attuned to the soul, or to the body?

if the answer to 1) above is "soul"

2) One of my magic items has a racial requirement. I possess the body of a different race. Can I still use the item? I.e., I'm a dwarven magic user/fighter, wielding a dwarven thrower. I possess the body of an elf. Can I still use my dwarven thrower?

if the answer to 2) above is "body"

3) Can I use the new body's attuned items? Can I unattune them, and reattune the items from true body? I.e., My body had a wand of fireballs attuned. I possess the body of a paladin. Can I unattune his holy avenger (I can't use it anyway) and reattune my wand of fireballs?

Athoren
2017-01-09, 03:18 PM
I would definitely say that they are attuned to your soul and not your body.

Fishyninja
2017-01-09, 03:39 PM
It raises a very good point, the only magic items (IMO) that would attune to your sole is any sentient magic item, normally you have to make a saving throw, if I recall the common ones are Charisma and Wisdom.

Therefore any other magic item would be attuned to the body but I am unaware of the RAW on this matter.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-09, 08:20 PM
When you possess the other person's body, the spell says you retain the benefits of your class. You also retain your alignment. It makes no mention of whether you can still use your attuned items. This raises a bunch of questions:

1) Are magic items attuned to the soul, or to the body?

if the answer to 1) above is "soul"

2) One of my magic items has a racial requirement. I possess the body of a different race. Can I still use the item? I.e., I'm a dwarven magic user/fighter, wielding a dwarven thrower. I possess the body of an elf. Can I still use my dwarven thrower?

if the answer to 2) above is "body"

3) Can I use the new body's attuned items? Can I unattune them, and reattune the items from true body? I.e., My body had a wand of fireballs attuned. I possess the body of a paladin. Can I unattune his holy avenger (I can't use it anyway) and reattune my wand of fireballs?

No, attunement (DMG 136-138) indicates the criteria for a creature losing attunement, and for becoming attuned.

Possessing a creature would not grant attunement because you are not the different creature nor are you operating yourself. It requires body and soul in synchronicity. If you are possessing a different creature, you can't go back to your own body, pick up any item and use its special properties (i.e. a magic shield would just be a regular shield as far as the possessed body goes).