PDA

View Full Version : Basic Point Build for 2 Rogue / 18 Bladesinger

Squeak
2017-01-06, 01:13 PM
I had been thinking of making a Bladesinger Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?506552-Basic-Point-Build-for-5e-Bladesinger) but then thought perhaps a 2 Rogue dip at the start might be fun and beneficial. Has anyone here tried this? If so could provide me with a basic outline 27-point build that included initial stats, level-ups and feats/skills please? Or other comments?

Thanks!

Specter
2017-01-06, 03:09 PM
Why not? If you don't have High Elf or Half-Elf in mind, I suggest the former, so you can start with 8 14 (16) 14 15 (16) 10 10.

I'd also take 3 rogue levels, for the extra sneak die and an archetype (AT for more cantrips/caster level increase, Assassin for assassinating, Swash for easy disengaging, Mastermind for bonus action advantage).

Squeak
2017-01-07, 04:27 PM
I did read some suggestions for going rogue 3 elsewhere but short-term I am afraid of delaying spell progression for yet another level AND also (VERY long-term!) missing out on the free at-will wizard 18 spells as shield/x and mirror image/xx at will is too nice to pass up I think. :(

Specter
2017-01-07, 11:04 PM
I did read some suggestions for going rogue 3 elsewhere but short-term I am afraid of delaying spell progression for yet another level AND also (VERY long-term!) missing out on the free at-will wizard 18 spells as shield/x and mirror image/xx at will is too ccie to pass up I think. :(

Based on personal experience, holding on to level 20 is wishful thinking. Try something like this: when you get to Wizard 5 (for the really massive spells like Fireball and Blink), see if you would like another rogue level. If not, then go on.

Squeak
2017-01-08, 07:24 PM
Based on personal experience, holding on to level 20 is wishful thinking. Try something like this: when you get to Wizard 5 (for the really massive spells like Fireball and Blink), see if you would like another rogue level. If not, then go on.

Yes 20 is perhaps wildly optimistic - it is more that the extra level delay for spells seems pretty painful.

CaptAl
2017-01-09, 01:21 AM
I played a high elf Bladesinger/Rogue and it is an awesome combo. Our campaign petered out after level 7 at which point I was BS 5/Rogue 2. Personally, I prefer to rush the wizard levels and pick up rogue later, but I can see the benefits of getting cunning action earlier.

I played him as a skirmisher. Dipping in for a quick booming blade then scooting off somewhere while the mob had to choose between chasing and taking the extra damage, or staying put and wasting his turn. With Bladesong, Dex, Blur or haste, and shield in my back pocket I didn't fear opportunity attacks. Cunning action really brought my strategy together to save those shield spells later on.

It's a great build and a ton of fun. Don't worry too much about level 20 abilities. Odds are, unless you start in the upper tiers, you'll never see Spell Mastery. Just let him grow as the story dictates and you'll love to play him.

djreynolds
2017-01-09, 01:35 AM
Level 18 is a huge selling point on wizard, spamming infinite shield spells and misty steps is very cool.

But 2 levels of rogue is very nice, even just 1 for expertise.

I personally would take acrobatics with expertise to avoid grapples and you get advantage on top... saves you a use of misty step

And Specter is spot on.

Why not? If you don't have High Elf or Half-Elf in mind, I suggest the former, so you can start with 8 14 (16) 14 15 (16) 10 10.

I'd also take 3 rogue levels, for the extra sneak die and an archetype (AT for more cantrips/caster level increase, Assassin for assassinating, Swash for easy disengaging, Mastermind for bonus action advantage).

Kobard
2017-01-09, 07:53 AM
Conversely, if one plans on making an Arcane Trickster, then at least a two-level dip into Bladesinger also does wonders.