PDA

View Full Version : Feats for 5th Edition - What am I missing?

Tawmis
2017-01-06, 04:27 PM
I am reading the Player's Handbook - and got to the part about feats (just under the Multiclassing)... and read through all the Feats, and their specific requirements - but then had to go back - because, I don't see where it says how many feats you get per level, or whatever... Unless it was stated previous to that, and I am just not remembering?

zylodrizzt
2017-01-06, 04:29 PM
When you gain an asi you can instead choose a feat.

Xetheral
2017-01-06, 04:29 PM
I am reading the Player's Handbook - and got to the part about feats (just under the Multiclassing)... and read through all the Feats, and their specific requirements - but then had to go back - because, I don't see where it says how many feats you get per level, or whatever... Unless it was stated previous to that, and I am just not remembering?

You may take a feat in place of an Ability Score Increase if the DM permits feats at all.

Millstone85
2017-01-06, 04:40 PM
As a human, you may replace part of your racial Ability Score Increase with a skill proficiency and a feat.

The class version is called Ability Score Improvement. You can take a feat instead any time you get it.

Again, at the DM's discretion.

Tawmis
2017-01-06, 04:43 PM
Thank you both. Wishing that was a little more clear. Feels like FEATS should have their own page, rather than just being under the Multiclass Spell Chart thing... And had a little more clarification in the FEATS section as to how it works. :) But I can always come here for a quick (non judging, friendly) response. :)

Flashy
2017-01-06, 04:43 PM
The reason everyone is saying that you can take feats at the DM's discretion is that they're technically an optional rule in 5e. I don't think that had been made clear.

But yeah, you can take one instead of an ASI.

Fishyninja
2017-01-06, 04:53 PM
Thank you both. Wishing that was a little more clear. Feels like FEATS should have their own page, rather than just being under the Multiclass Spell Chart thing... And had a little more clarification in the FEATS section as to how it works. :) But I can always come here for a quick (non judging, friendly) response. :)

I'm glad you are liking the forums, as a long time lurker, new poster I agree these forums are extremely helpdul.
Going back to feats, as many have said you have to skip an ASI for one (if the DM) allows, so rather than increasing your mods and character in an overarching manner, feats allow you to specilaise your character a bit more of take an entirely new route.

Tawmis
2017-01-06, 05:10 PM
The reason everyone is saying that you can take feats at the DM's discretion is that they're technically an optional rule in 5e. I don't think that had been made clear.
But yeah, you can take one instead of an ASI.

Yup! Knew they were optional... Was trying to get some clarification... The folks I am DMing are new to D&D in general, so I have been keeping things pretty basic (I don't want to overwhelm them out the gate)... but now they're level 3, and getting a better feel of the game mechanics... and I was thinking of slowly introducing optional rules... like Feats... but when I read it today, I didn't see where it said you can exchange ASI for a Feat...!

I'm glad you are liking the forums, as a long time lurker, new poster I agree these forums are extremely helpdul.
Going back to feats, as many have said you have to skip an ASI for one (if the DM) allows, so rather than increasing your mods and character in an overarching manner, feats allow you to specilaise your character a bit more of take an entirely new route.

Yes! I have loved this forum. :) I think I only got backlash once; when I used the avatars on here to make a "comic" only posted on the forum (nowhere else), and got some backlash about it was forbidden (even though it was for a forum specific thing). I immediately took it down and deleted it. Ironically, Rich asked me to see it but the only copy was the one I had uploaded on the forum. So I explained what it was, and he said it would have been fine (because I wasn't stealing his art and posting it on my own site, and only on the forum, to a forum specific thread... can't even remember all the details...)

JumboWheat01
2017-01-06, 06:16 PM
Also don't forget, ASIs are based on CLASS level, not total character level. If any of those level 3 characters decide to multiclass, bam, no ASI for them until one of those classes hits level 4.

Tawmis
2017-01-10, 07:19 PM
Also don't forget, ASIs are based on CLASS level, not total character level. If any of those level 3 characters decide to multiclass, bam, no ASI for them until one of those classes hits level 4.

Yeah, not doing multi-class in my current campaign. I think that'd throw them off. They're still wrapping their minds around their character's current abilities (which is why I have been using the "Milestone" method of leveling... once I feel like the party has a good grasp of their character abilities, and not needing to looking in the books, ask questions, etc and generally feel comfortable, I "level" them up, so that they get new skills [if qualified], etc, so that their knowledge and comfort grows at the same pace the characters level).

I made the mistake, in my previous campaign (same group of people), where a few joined - and the others were already level 5. So I brought the new people in at level 4, and there was already stuff that was overwhelming them (back on 3.5 Edition, since I skipped 4th Edition entirely). So this time, I am pacing the levels with the players knowledge and comfort with their characters, at least for now.