PDA

View Full Version : Problem Solving Using Story Lines and Plot Devices

MBControl
2017-01-06, 05:44 PM
I'm a big fan of taking game play issues and problems and fixing them in game with story and plot points whenever possible. I've noticed a lot of posts lately on how to fix these issues. A lot of the opinions lean on rule changes or mechanics adjustments, which are completely legit, but I often feel that there are ways to use story in game to create the desired solutions.

For example, one member posted lately that monetary reward was not useful for his party, as the party felt there was not much to use the gold on. Following strict guidelines on downtime expenses and tracking food and that sort of thing may be a solution, there are also a ton of creative ways to make gold useful in game.

I was wondering if the community could share some examples of problems they fixed in game, and how they used the fix to enhance the story or plot.

The most obvious and well trod example I can think of, is curing the Murder Hobo party, by exacting in game punishments for their blood lust, be it arresting characters and charging them with murder, or even sending a posse out to kill you

I was hoping these ideas could help inspire me and others to find creative ways, in game to use story to solve a problem, or even use a problem to help your story.

MintyNinja
2017-01-06, 05:51 PM
I'm actively trying to curb my group's tendency to to not take notes by not offering them a city map. In game, the explanation is that it's a small city and that if you don't know where you're going, why would you show up? Just in case they start mapping the city from above I've drawn something up for them to start with.

MBControl
2017-01-06, 06:01 PM
That's a good one. The not taking notes is such a pain in the butt. I don't like having to remind the players a NPC's name, or where they saw the whatever it is. It slows the game down.

gfishfunk
2017-01-06, 06:18 PM
Money is always a good subject. I tend to give a lot when it comes to that, and my players all have in-game goals that they can spend it on. Money is just a resource in-game, so let them use it on stuff. Mercenaries and bribes and buildings? Sure. I can respond to that in-game to make their use significant and interesting.

Warlock Patrons are great. Many people view them as some distant backstory thing that has no practical impact. I have the Warlock patron plot dump like crazy, and it is a highly involved NPC (and is a lawful - neutral Fey, and no I am not explaining that).

MBControl
2017-01-07, 01:59 AM
I've also come across a player that was trying a new class, the cleric, and was rather unhappy with the play style. He made attempts to RP his way into the game more, but I could tell that he wasn't enjoying the game, and his role in it. Now, he probably could have built the character better, rolled better, and played it better, but the bottom line is he gave a fair shot, and didn't enjoy it. The role of a support character simply didn't come naturally to him.

My Solution. Magic.

I presented him with a magical amulet, that would give him a more paladin like role and abilities, but the amulet also dropped a lot of his cleric abilities and traits. He did this, and the player really started to enjoy the game. Not only did he enjoy, the whole table seemed happier, and the group grew closer.

I also used this decision as a story point, much further down the road. He had to reconcile with his order, for abandoning his cause, which led to a extra intertwining plot arch. The whole party bought into the arch, because they really enjoyed the "new" PC and would do anything to prevent him from reverting to the "old" PC.

Fishyninja
2017-01-07, 02:38 PM
Does tossing the gnome over chasms count?