PDA

View Full Version : AMF vs Acorn of Far travel

flappeercraft
2017-01-06, 07:09 PM
So I was checking the Acorn of far travel spell and thought about something. Since the Acorn of far travel makes you count as if you were in the canopy of the bound tree while carrying the Acorn, would you be affected by an AMF as you would count as being in the canopy of the tree which is likely not in an AMF which should make you avoid the effects of an AMF right? Now likely the first argument against this is that the magic of the Acorn that makes you count as in under the canopy of the tree is suspended but according to the spell you must be carrying it meaning that since you are carrying it should also count as if under the canopy of the tree. So would this work or not?

Jack_Simth
2017-01-06, 07:15 PM
So I was checking the Acorn of far travel spell and thought about something. Since the Acorn of far travel makes you count as if you were in the canopy of the bound tree while carrying the Acorn, would you be affected by an AMF as you would count as being in the canopy of the tree which is likely not in an AMF which should make you avoid the effects of an AMF right? Now likely the first argument against this is that the magic of the Acorn that makes you count as in under the canopy of the tree is suspended but according to the spell you must be carrying it meaning that since you are carrying it should also count as if under the canopy of the tree. So would this work or not?No more so than it would protect you from a fireball. Or a touch spell, for that matter.

The Glyphstone
2017-01-06, 07:21 PM
Seems more likely that the AMF would cover the Acorn, negating its magical effect and temporarily severing the link to the tree. The Acorn makes you count as being under the canopy of the tree, but by definition it cannot be extending that effect to itself, otherwise it would become useless to anyone who wasn't actually near the tree. So at best you would be immune to the AMF for the 0.1 seconds it took for the acorn to be enveloped in the AMF, then it shuts off (and no Line of Effect shenanigans via keeping the acorn in your pocket either, because if you aren't in the AMF, you can't be blocking line of effect for it).

Doctor Despair
2017-01-06, 09:55 PM
It seems to me that you would be treated as standing under the tree, but that nothing else necessarily would, including your gear. In this sense, only you would be affected by an AMF with a range of (personal) or something like that. Casting is, iirc, possible in an AMF by how poorly it's worded, so this will really only mean that you cannot be affected by anything that targets you outside extraordinary means. Conjurations still hit you, melee attacks, etc. You can't buff yourself, you can't cast anything with range: personal, but equally you seem like you would gain an immunity to mind-affecting abilities. Not a good trade-off, in my opinion.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-01-06, 09:58 PM
My solution to this? Make a device (from Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood) that casts acorn of far travel. The acorn is then immune to AMFs.