PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Options for Lizardfolk, utility, optimization, flavor.

poolio
2017-01-06, 07:55 PM
So with a +2 Con and a +1 Wis the lizardfolk don't seem to have an obvious class preference like other races, the only things that come to mind are Barbarian, Ranger or druid, they feel like the perfect out doorsie types.

I've come up with ways I'd flavor each class to make them interesting, to me at least.

First would be Druid, that's the most straight forward to me, swamp land druid, he's a shaman, plain and simple.

Second would be Ranger, i was thinking about hunter with the bounty hunter background, using a whip and net, and maybe talk to my DM about home brewing a bolas, to emphasize the capturing of criminals to be brought to justice, for coin of course, and carry an axe and shield for when things get bloody. This is probably my favorite concept right now.

And last is frenzy Barbarian, being able to grapple and make use of the natural bite attack is just visually appealing to me, an actual barbaric barbarian, so many I've played along side are so dull with it, in every combat it's the same "my turn? I rage and swing my very large sword/axe/hammer" i know they don't have a huge list of options but you can still flavor things up a bit, i would like to try and make use of the charger feat but no bonuses to Str means I'd need every ASI to get my stats whete they need to be.

Well those are my ideas so far, i really like the way these guys see the world around them and they have such a primal instinct flavor they seem like a fun thing to try.

So, does anybody here have any other ideas for other classes? Maybe other ways to utilize the previously mentioned ones? Let's hear it :smallwink:

Naanomi
2017-01-06, 07:57 PM
Moon Druid, turn into something big for a better bite attack to exploit

I've heard people postulating them as decent unarmored clerics (trickery? Nature?)

JellyPooga
2017-01-06, 10:17 PM
+2 Con/+1 Wis and Natural Armour? Sounds like an interesting Rogue to me; good Perception, good HP, good AC, good offence (Sneak Attack), good defence (Uncanny Dodge)...it's got it all.

Monk might also be an attractive option with the Wis bump and seeing as how the Lizardfolks Bite attack is treated as an unarmed attack and will benefit from Martial Arts...

jaappleton
2017-01-06, 10:29 PM
Cleric ain't bad. Spellcasting focused, so... Nature, Arcana, Light, etc. domains.

Moon Druid could be really good, and VERY flavorful, if you basically be... Godzilla. Wildshape into larger and larger lizards. If you Polymorph yourself, reflavor things like the Great Ape into something more lizardy.

The Shadowdove
2017-01-06, 10:34 PM
Super tanky long death monk. Or a tanky open hand monk.

More con helps any build really. Fighter is an easy choice. Especially with so many ASI .

ChildofLuthic
2017-01-06, 10:34 PM
Lizardfolk assassin... decent AC with natural armor, nice con, nice perception...

Assassins get autocrits on the first round and rogues in general can hide to get advantage every turn, so having a 14 in dex won't hurt you there, and expertise in stealth and you won't really be worrying about a 14 in dex for a couple levels.

I really like that idea, as it were.

CantigThimble
2017-01-06, 11:49 PM
I kinda like the idea of a lizardfolk ancients paladin who is discovering the wonders of civilization, like more refined art and music. The oath of ancients is often interpreted kind of like a druid (and their spell list reflects this) their tenets don't really mention it. It's all about beauty and hope, which is often associated with natural beauty but could just as easily be artistic beauty. I kind of like the idea of a Renaissance paladin, and making it a lizardfolk seems especially interesting. They would usually come from relatively uncivilized backgrounds and on top of that they aren't well suited to subtle art. Their jaws are not suited for singing and their claws not suited to pluck strings or hold a paintbrush. While in game terms they don't really have any penalties to that kind of thing it makes an interesting character concept. They would be able to observe but would not participate, at least not in the traditional ways.

poolio
2017-01-07, 12:11 AM
Interesting ideas, i really like the paladin and cleric ideas, and rogue and monk might deserve another look as well, i forgot how many ASI the fighter got, a battle master could make a really good bounty hunter as well.

Thanks for the ideas guys, it's really helping to flush out possible characters personalities, especially that pally lol