PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New DM looking to add custom wrestling-inspired items for his wrestling fan player

daisy55
2017-01-06, 08:06 PM
Hey all, new DND player here. I'm DMing a game for four friends, we started out in LMOP from the starter kit but have started going our own way. They are a party of four level 3 characters.

One of my players is a big professional wrestling fan, and plays a druid named after one of his favorite wrestlers (Rami Sebei/El Generico/Sami Zayn, for reference).

This wrestler has a move he calls the Blue Thunder Bomb, which he'll use as a counter. I'd post a link to a video, but my post count is too low, so if you'd like to see what it looks like, a google for "sami zayn blue thunder bomb" will give you an idea of what the move looks like.

I wanted to create an item (most likely a belt, akin to a "championship") belt that would allow my player do do something like this. For the actual mechanics of the move, I was thinking of basing it on the Rogue's Uncanny Dodge ability, so something like this:

When an attacker that you can see hits you with an Attack, you can use your reaction to instead counter the attack, knocking the enemy prone and avoiding damage.

To me, this seems to be the easiest/simplest way to accomplish something similar, but given that it allows the player to avoid an attack entirely (including one that might otherwise knock them out or possibly even kill them), I'm wary of it being too powerful. So, I'm thinking of making it limited use, once per long rest. This lets them save it for dire situations, or when they really want to turn the tables on an enemy, but not unlimited so that they can just avoid all damage.

Thanks for reading, thoughts and feedback are appreciated!