PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 1 day rations weight 1 lb or 2 lb?

BeefGood
2017-01-06, 09:54 PM
PH equipment list p. 150: 1 day of rations weighs 2 pounds.
PH p. 185 Food and Water: "A character needs one pound of food per day and can make food last longer by subsisting on half rations. Eating half a pound of food in a day counts as half a day without food."
The former says a day's food weighs 2 pounds. The latter is not 100% clear but seems to say that a day's food weighs 1 pound. Which is correct? I checked PH Errata but found no mention.

King539
2017-01-06, 10:02 PM
Maybe Rations includes water too?

JellyPooga
2017-01-06, 10:22 PM
Maybe Rations includes water too?

This would be my instinct, but the OP has a point; rations should even be a little lighter than the normal required intake. After all, they're supposed to be "travel food", specifically designed to give more nutrition for their weight. IIRC in 3ed Rations were 1lb in weight (or 1/4lb for Small characters...one of the many boons of being a "little guy"). I'd be inclined to use that weight, myself.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-07, 10:59 PM
PH equipment list p. 150: 1 day of rations weighs 2 pounds.
PH p. 185 Food and Water: "A character needs one pound of food per day and can make food last longer by subsisting on half rations. Eating half a pound of food in a day counts as half a day without food."
The former says a day's food weighs 2 pounds. The latter is not 100% clear but seems to say that a day's food weighs 1 pound. Which is correct? I checked PH Errata but found no mention.

3rd option: Rations are an exception to the rule of food by weight per day;

I.e. Rations last longer (being dried food) but weigh more. So if you eat fruits and veggies you need 1 lb per day; or you could eat a days worth of rations which weighs 2 lbs.

BeefGood
2017-01-09, 08:20 PM
Thanks to responders. I found this possible discrepancy when I decided to start taking weight seriously and needed to figure out the weight of everything. I started with a fighter. The main rule, the 15xStrength rule, seems ridiculously permissive. The 5x & 10x variant rule seems more reasonable, but you exceed 5x pretty quick if you wear heavy armor. So, after thinking about it a while, to try to make it a little easier to get under 5x I've decided to houserule: a day of rations weighs 1 pound.

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-09, 08:26 PM
Thanks to responders. I found this possible discrepancy when I decided to start taking weight seriously and needed to figure out the weight of everything. I started with a fighter. The main rule, the 15xStrength rule, seems ridiculously permissive. The 5x & 10x variant rule seems more reasonable, but you exceed 5x pretty quick if you wear heavy armor. So, after thinking about it a while, to try to make it a little easier to get under 5x I've decided to houserule: a day of rations weighs 1 pound.

Bear in mind that for grapple and so forth you do have to be capable of dragging or carrying the creatures in question (and any equipment) if you want to move them.

Steel Mirror
2017-01-09, 08:31 PM
"Man, the amount of packaging they put on trail rations these days is ridiculous." Pulls out a whole bag of Dungeon Chips, opens it, shakes out two chips and some dust and the rest is just empty air. "Seriously?!"