PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Barbarian Magic Item (why not +2?)

suplee215
2017-01-06, 09:54 PM
Hello, first time posting on here. I am beginning a new high level campaign (begin at lvl 15) next week and I can't decide what rare magic item to pick. I am playing a barbarian (battlerager). The DM is allowing us to pick any rare magic item and I am stuck between a Greatsword of Wounding and just a +2 heavy weapon (probably maul). I am trying not to power game here but eventually I'll take the great weapons master feat. I am not sure if it would just be completely ineffective to try to do so without a +whatever magic item or if the Sword of Woundings' effects can justify it (especially with reckless attack doing a lot). So far the party is going be 2 sorcerer, a warlock, a arcane trickster, an arcan archer (UA) and my barbarian. I like the idea of flavor of the sword of wounding but honesty not sure how much my enemies would try to heal either. Character wise I am playing a hill dwarf pirate from a viking/norse theme world (each party member has to be from a different world and it'll be part of the plot) so I think a ruthless weapon like a sword of wounding would fit but also just an effective one too. So try to sway me which ever way you think is better.

Specter
2017-01-06, 10:10 PM
+2 greatsword. An easier time hitting is always good.

If you're not set on a weapon, Mantle of Spell Resistance would turn you into a behemoth.

JellyPooga
2017-01-06, 10:40 PM
Why be boring and take the obvious +X Weapon of choice?

Grab yourself a Ring of Free Action and never worry about Hold Person again.

Or how about really upping your game as the party Tank and taking a Shield of Missile Attraction? Draw every missile attack within 10ft of you and Resistance to the damage it inflicts whether you're Raging or not? Tank-a-licious! You get +2 AC too.

You say you're a Dwarf viking guy? How about a Brass Horn of Valhalla? 6-15 beserkers once a week isn't a magnificent boon, but it's one that will change the course of a losing fight and it's all sorts of tasty from a thematic PoV (they can even be Dwarven Beserkers as far as I'm concerned...it specifically says in the MM that the stats can be altered for race and if you're a Dwarf yourself...well, I'd let that fly as a GM).