PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying RP Conundrum

Kileonhardt
2017-01-07, 12:17 AM
Currently my party just ended our session today with the four of them stealthily killing their way into this enemy base and myself sitting at the top of the tower with a Tiefling sorceress attempting to summon something from the Plane of Punishment that she believes is her father (but I'm under the assumption she's a little dim witted and is being used to summon Tiamat by this cult). Being the man he is and prioritizing self power and safety over all else I feel this is a moment where he'd swap sides and join the enemy therefor most likely causing a TPK.

So the question I have is would it be wrong to RP my character out the way he has been written and bring the current campaign to a close with a TPK (and upsetting a few of the other players obviously) rather than ignoring his RP element just so he wouldn't be the main cause of a TPK. My character was just supposed to always do what's best for him while pretending to be a goody goody to get along with the party and that was fun, but I didn't think about coming to a crossroad like this.

EvilAnagram
2017-01-07, 02:19 AM
I am going to reframe your dilemma:

Should I damage real life relationships to stay committed to a particular RP course for a fake character who doesn't exist?

No. No, you should not.

Less importantly, you are looking at a real chance for character growth (changes in your character's motivations and outlook) and saying, "shouldn't my character revert to type?" This makes for a boring character and a lame story conclusion. The fun way to go about things is to pretend to switch sides, betray the cultists at the opportune moment (because it turns out you secretly value your friendships (or maybe just don't want to be Tiamat's chew toy)), and save the day.

Sigreid
2017-01-07, 02:35 AM
Other than the obvious "no you shouldn't betray the party", what makes your guy think what's best for him is to betray the party and switch sides? On the one hand, he has loyal, powerful and combat hardened companions. What's on the other side of the table? What's the offer? I've had many a bad guy character who never betrayed their companions because having dependable companions is essential and they are very hard to replace.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-07, 03:00 AM
Well, it depends. No matter what happens, you're going to want to stop that warlock, because Tiamat is VERY bad for personal safety. Also, your companions are probably worth more than the empty promises of a vilain, as many people have said before. These, of course, are mainly RP justifications for not being a jerk.