PDA

View Full Version : help me create maui and his hook

kenposan
2017-01-07, 08:42 AM
So my kids (11) are really into Moana. I want to bring Maui and his hook into the game, but I'm still new to 5e. Can you all help me stat Maui and his hook? I'm basing off the movie Moana, not actual Polynesian mythos.

It appears in the movie that other than being a good fighter, all his powers come from his hook.

S: 25
D: 20
C: 25
I: 18
W: 8
Ch: 18

Maybe a champion fighter?

Hook:

+3 battle axe with infinite polymorph self?

Seclora
2017-01-07, 09:52 AM
I'd actually lower his con to 20, since he is ultimately base human, and go for at least a few levels of Barbarian for the unarmored defense.

LibraryOgre
2017-01-07, 10:02 AM
I don't have my books handy, but I'd lean towards a blade pact warlock, with his hook being his pact blade. Now, obviously, his thousand years on an island are because he's being punished by his pact granters (the Gods) for his transgressions, limiting him severely, but I think most of his abilities can be described through that.

MDF1
2017-01-07, 06:42 PM
Question for you all...

Did Maui have hypnotic abilities? It appeared he had Moana hypnotized during the 'You're Welcome' sequence.

Sabeta
2017-01-07, 07:01 PM
In my opinion, Maui is a Moon Druid, and his Hook is an Arcane Focus.

Goodberry is now Goodcococnut.
His Hook is so powerful because Shillelagh and +3
and his Wildshapes are Eagles and Sharks and whatnot.

ChildofLuthic
2017-01-07, 10:20 PM
I'd probably do it as a fighter (barbarian seems wrong since he doesn't really "rage") with a really really cool magic item.

Most of his forms end up being used for utility more than attacking anyway. (Shapeshift into an eagle, fly up to the monster, shift back to attack) so I'd say this doesn't sound like a moon druid.

For the hook, it probably does 1d8+STR damage and allows the user to shapeshift into a limited number of creatures after attuning to it. (The attunement process is why saw him training with it, he was reattuning.)

Vogonjeltz
2017-01-07, 10:31 PM
So my kids (11) are really into Moana. I want to bring Maui and his hook into the game, but I'm still new to 5e. Can you all help me stat Maui and his hook? I'm basing off the movie Moana, not actual Polynesian mythos.

It appears in the movie that other than being a good fighter, all his powers come from his hook.

S: 25
D: 20
C: 25
I: 18
W: 8
Ch: 18

Maybe a champion fighter?

Hook:

+3 battle axe with infinite polymorph self?

Maybe make it an Artifact (DMG 221), major beneficial property, allows the wielded to Shapechange into any beast as a bonus action.

Otherwise the Axe of the Dwarven Lords looks pretty perfect.

King539
2017-01-07, 10:45 PM
Make his hook a magic item that lets Polymorph into a beast while maintaining mental stats. I'd say he's a level 20 barbarian, with an epic boon or two.

The Ship's dog
2017-01-08, 05:32 AM
Question for you all...

Did Maui have hypnotic abilities? It appeared he had Moana hypnotized during the 'You're Welcome' sequence.
I realise that you aren't looking for info from actual legends, but the movie is based off of myths and so they would affect the movie.

Now, whilst I haven't been brought up on the stuff, all of the vaguely religious or spiritual myths and legends that I was told throughout my early childhood were Māori and about half were about Māui.

From what I can remember, he was more of a trickster than the buff warrior from the film and, whilst he did convince people of amazing plans and such like, he never actually hypnotised people or used any of that sort of magic. With this in mind, perhaps it isn't hypnotism that he is using in the film, maybe it's something to do magic but I'm not sure.

P.S Bear in mind that I am not even close to being an expert or anything like on Māori mythology and my knowledge is not from other pacific island's myths where he would have been portrayed differently. Nothing I say is certain, but I am pretty sure of what I'm saying here at least (that is, I don't remember him using any hypnotism or anything of that ilk).

RickAllison
2017-01-08, 09:44 PM
Maybe make it an Artifact (DMG 221), major beneficial property, allows the wielded to Shapechange into any beast as a bonus action.

Otherwise the Axe of the Dwarven Lords looks pretty perfect.

I like the idea of using a concentration spell as a bonus action (rather than Wild Shape) as it fits his style of flying up in a form (bonus action, fly movement), turning back (dropping concentration), and attacking.

I would say he seems like a great Paladin, actually. His attacks seem to be more about having fewer and powerful attacks (Smite), his high Charisma and ability to influence people, his divine connection, and gives some latitude.

Actually, a gestalt (term for taking levels in two different classes at the same time) with Paladin/Sorcerer with his hook being a focus would allow for the melee strength as well as Quickened Polymorph filling the shapechanging. Hmmm....