PDA

View Full Version : Just realised, the spell slot progression for multiclass casters...

Sans.
2017-01-07, 11:12 AM
Is exactly the same as that of any full caster. (facepalms)

Millstone85
2017-01-07, 11:25 AM
D'oh! :smalleek:

Then again, I forced myself to look away from the multiclassing rules this time.

Daishain
2017-01-07, 11:32 AM
Well, yes, assuming all multi-class selections are also full casters. 1/2 (pallys, rangers) and 1/3(eldritch knight,arcane tricksters) casters multiply their levels by the appropriate fraction before adding to the total.

CaptainSarathai
2017-01-07, 11:51 AM
Well, yes, assuming all multi-class selections are also full casters. 1/2 (pallys, rangers) and 1/3(eldritch knight,arcane tricksters) casters multiply their levels by the appropriate fraction before adding to the total.

Actually the modifier to Half/Third casters isn't far off from their standard progression either.

Really, the only thing that will hurt you with multiclassing a caster is that your spells known aren't tied to your slots. so you can have a 9th level slot, but no 9th level spells to cast with it.

Millstone85
2017-01-07, 12:31 PM
Really, the only thing that will hurt you with multiclassing a caster is that your spells known aren't tied to your slots. so you can have a 9th level slot, but no 9th level spells to cast with it.It is better than having a 9th level spell and no 9th level slot to cast it.

Tanarii
2017-01-07, 12:42 PM
Actually the modifier to Half/Third casters isn't far off from their standard progression either.Theyre far enough off for it to become noticible at high levels if you multiclass more than one of them. They round up .5 of a casting level or more for single class, and round down always before adding them up for multiclass. That can be up to a 2 level difference in slots.

(I say noticible, but I mean math-wise. At the gaming table it may be negligible for the player, depending on what he focuses on.)

xyianth
2017-01-07, 04:03 PM
Really, the only thing that will hurt you with multiclassing a caster is that your spells known aren't tied to your slots. so you can have a 9th level slot, but no 9th level spells to cast with it.

While true, it is not as bad as it sounds. The real bread and butter spells are 4th level and below this edition. The ability to scale spells into higher slots can make low level spells relevant even at high levels. IMHO the delay in progression to spells of 2nd-4th is much worse than the loss of 6th+ level spells known.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-07, 04:15 PM
1/3 and 1/2 casters, however, get worse spell progression.

A Paladin/ranger in any combination will only get their 2nd level spells at level 6, rather than 5 if they were singleclassing, and an eldrich knight/arcane trickster will only get their 2nd level spells at 9, rather than 7 if they were singleclassing.

Flashy
2017-01-07, 04:52 PM
While true, it is not as bad as it sounds. The real bread and butter spells are 4th level and below this edition. The ability to scale spells into higher slots can make low level spells relevant even at high levels. IMHO the delay in progression to spells of 2nd-4th is much worse than the loss of 6th+ level spells known.

I'd have to agree with this. I've been playing a Knowledge Cleric who multiclassed to Mystic at 8th level and honestly the only 5th level spells I've really ever wished I had are Scrying (which I couldn't afford the material component for anyway), and Greater Restoration. A shocking amount of the value comes online at 4th level or lower.

Gignere
2017-01-07, 04:59 PM
I'd have to agree with this. I've been playing a Knowledge Cleric who multiclassed to Mystic at 8th level and honestly the only 5th level spells I've really ever wished I had are Scrying (which I couldn't afford the material component for anyway), and Greater Restoration. A shocking amount of the value comes online at 4th level or lower.

Only true for clerics but wizards and sorcerers level 6+ spells still have a whole bunch of encounter changers. Reverse gravity, maze, prismatic wall, foresight, wish etc...

Malifice
2017-01-07, 09:15 PM

Raise dead?

Flashy
2017-01-07, 09:42 PM
Raise dead?

I've never had that one come up. It's a fairly high lethality campaign, but there's never been a situation where other party members died and my cleric survived. We've also never run into a situation where there's a valuable NPC who died in the last 10 days that we want back. This may be a campaign specific thing but I've never missed it.

Only true for clerics but wizards and sorcerers level 6+ spells still have a whole bunch of encounter changers. Reverse gravity, maze, prismatic wall, foresight, wish etc...

That's a good point, I forgot that a factor in my decision to multiclass was how mediocre the Cleric high level spells can be for a diviner/control role.