PDA

View Full Version : Warmachine & Hordes

Attilargh
2007-07-18, 03:22 PM
As the Games Workshop's moneysinks have threads of their own, I thought why not make a thread to discuss these two magnificient games by Privateer Press.

I'm personally a rabid fan of Vinter Raelthorne IV - the true king of Cygnar - and as such a collector of his allies, the Mercs and the Skorne. (With a grand total of, er, 21 models. Mainly just primed black.) On my table sit such great characters such as Asheth Magnus (called "the Traitor" by some, "the Warlord" by others) and Master Tormentor Morghoul, both loyal subjects of the Elder. Got nearly all of 'em books, too, except for Apotheosis which I'd really love to have but don't have the tiniest need for. I'm not much of a player, but instead something of a fluff buff, as you might guess.

So, is there anyone in the Playground who plays like one who has a pair?

JellyPooga
2007-07-18, 03:29 PM
I've not heard of Privateer Press. Could you link us to a website perhaps?

Attilargh
2007-07-18, 03:41 PM
*Attilargh does a double take*

...You don't know Privateer Press (http://privateerpress.com/)? The creators of the most awesomest fantasy world ever? It's got six-tonne steam-powered magic-driven warmachines with huge weapons!

DeathQuaker
2007-07-19, 10:26 AM
I play Cryx. (http://www.deathquaker.org/gaming/cryx.html) (apologies for the crappy pictures. I am badly in need of building a shadowbox.)

It is an excellent game, and good to pick up if you're just getting into miniature wargames, as you buy a single small boxset (it's somewhere around $40) and with a ruler and dice, you're ready to play (after you assemble the minis, anyway).

Though I have not played a game of Warmachine in awhile, for a variety of reasons, one being that simply a lot of my friends who played Warmachine all got busy. I've also been working on my 40K army lately, finishing painting that and getting my list and my tactics tournament ready (thinking of going to the GT this fall). But probably I'll turn back to Warmachine soon and finish assembling and painting the rest of my army and return to spreading death and destruction across the world of Immoren.

Leon
2007-07-19, 12:25 PM
For the Motherland

i play semi reguarly agisnt fellow Khador, the Southern fairies and Cryx.
never seen PoM in action

Ive played Khador Vs Skorne - that was a brutal game, i lost eventually

Am looking at getting into Troll Blood soon

TheThan
2007-07-23, 05:06 PM
I just picked up a Protectorate of Menoth battlegroup and a box set of the Daughters of the Flame. I’m working on putting them together now. However I got the alternate pose of high Exemplar Kreoss, and his normal hands/spellbreaker so I can’t put the two together, because you know they’re the wrong pieces. I’m emailing PP to see if they’ll send me a replacement as I type this out (multitasking).

I’m planning on painting them red and black with some silver and probably some gold or metal on ‘em too. They’re probably going to come out with a very “Spanish inquisition” look. Soon I’ll be able to purify the infidels with the holy flame.

Mr_Teatime
2007-07-23, 08:55 PM
I'm currently rockin' Khador and some Mercs on the side. My most regular opponent plays Menoth.

Really awesome game. I'm thinking about breaking into one of the Hordes factions as well. I'm leaning towards either Trollbloods or Circle. Could anyone give me some basic info on either of those?

Khoran
2007-07-23, 09:15 PM
I'm a Warmachine Player, namely Cygnar. I've also got the Circle Orboros Battlebox that I have been wanting to try out. I got into it after looking over Iron Kingdoms (Which is an awesome Roleplay setting if you don't mind a hammer being taken to the knees of caster powerlevel.) I found out they had a Wargame and was talked into getting it by someone at my LGS, I bought the Cygnar starter box.

I've been considering getting one of my friends who has been thinking of playing the Khador box, but I am unsuer.l

p.s. Attilargh is a traitor, Leto is the one fit to be king of Cygnar.

Khoran
2007-07-23, 09:16 PM
I'm a Warmachine Player, namely Cygnar. I've also got the Circle Orboros Battlebox that I have been wanting to try out. I got into it after looking over Iron Kingdoms (Which is an awesome Roleplay setting if you don't mind a hammer being taken to the knees of caster powerlevel.) I found out they had a Wargame and was talked into getting it by someone at my LGS, I bought the Cygnar starter box.

I've been considering getting one of my friends who has been thinking of playing the Khador box (Since that's what he's been talking about playing if he starts), but I am unsure.l

p.s. Attilargh is a traitor, Leto is the one fit to be king of Cygnar.

Krursk
2007-07-24, 07:07 AM
Cygnar FTW! My style play what has been described alternately as odd, old fashioned or suicidal. No warjacks. Stupid amounts of trenchers and Arcane Tempest Gun Mages.

Cazziuz
2007-07-24, 07:41 AM
With time you will all fall. You will either serve us willingly, or become our undead slaves devoid of will.
I play the ever awesome Cryxian Empire of Nightmares! We rule, or rather, we're going to very soon. Just you mortals wait!
I've got around 2000pts of Cryx and I play at least once a week. I also own a little force of ninja Everblight, the coolest faction in hordes! Sure, the lord of cryx is the father of the lord of Everblight, and they are trying to eradicate each other constantly. Did I mention that they are both dragons, and that dragons are close to being minor deities? (Except for Lord Toruk, the lord of Cryx who actually has his own clerics and domains).

Why serve one dragon when you can serve two?

Leon
2007-07-24, 08:07 AM
Now that i have my books back, im thinking of branching out into PoM - i do quite like EKreoss and the Exemplars - that or Feroa and lots of "flame" based troops

Blayze
2007-07-24, 08:21 AM
Cygnar player here. For some reason, I have better luck in melee with my ranged units than I do with my melee ones. Ah well. I've had a lot of luck with my Trenchers, anyhow. 17 Def, 17 Arm? Go go digging ability! They can even hold off that damned Cyrx Slayer (I think) Jack that uses its two sets of claws to cleave through almost anything.

And I really annoy him with Caine. The look on his face when I re-read his list of spells and realised that I could teleport not five inches away, but a lot further made my day. On the other hand, he plays as the Coven, and hasn't lost a single game. Damn them and their abilities...

By the way, am I the only one who doesn't think the rules (As they were explained to me by my friend) for damaging Jacks work out? I mean, if I got hit in the left arm and it was completely broken and senseless, I doubt the damage would filter through my body towards the right, hitting the first place it could...

As such, my friends and I don't let damage transfer across at all.

Attilargh
2007-07-24, 08:40 AM
Khoran: Fit? At least my king isn't fighting a war on four fronts! :tongue:

By the way, am I the only one who doesn't think the rules (As they were explained to me by my friend) for damaging Jacks work out? I mean, if I got hit in the left arm and it was completely broken and senseless, I doubt the damage would filter through my body towards the right, hitting the first place it could...

As such, my friends and I don't let damage transfer across at all.
They are probably not meant to make sense, but neither are hit points in general. Your method really cripples very powerful attacks (and boosting), as the damage will only fill the column, regardless of how much of it remains. When you consider that the average heavy 'jack has a weapon with a P+S of about 18 and even a tough Khadoran has an ARM of mere 20, a single strike normally has the potential of breaking multiple systems. (The average result of a 2d6 is 7, and if I recall correctly, a column is only five boxes high.)

Besides, a 'jack is not very simple a construct. It's entirely possible that a hit which takes an arm off also causes internal damage that impairs other functions.

Blayze
2007-07-24, 12:06 PM
our method really cripples very powerful attacks

Which is why we use it. It means that our strongest forces get to stay in the game a little longer, instead of annihilating each other in three or so hits. :P

...At least, that is, until I get Machine Wraith'd (As Strong Bad would say). But then again, Caine and my Gun Mages can take care of those (Unless that damn Coven gets any of them with Imprisonment), then it gets a bit dicey.

Leon
2007-07-24, 12:37 PM
Aww, by that ruling you cant one shot a Bonejack unless you roll a 1

TheThan
2007-07-24, 03:35 PM
I Just got the email back from PP they’re sending me a replacement package (they didn’t say which piece their sending me, the warcaster or the weapon), but I’m impressed with their customer service. it should arrive in about a week via UPS.

Leon
2007-07-24, 05:26 PM
PP are awesome with that, my Widowmakers came without a card - 1 week later i had a card

Attilargh
2007-07-25, 06:39 AM
Which is why we use it. It means that our strongest forces get to stay in the game a little longer, instead of annihilating each other in three or so hits. :P
But, but, but that's the fun of it!

Blayze
2007-07-25, 07:58 AM
But, but, but that's the fun of it!

I always thought that lay in charging an enemy's unit, tearing their leader to pieces, and then tossing what remains of him casually back into his men, causing them to panic, flee and get blown to pieces by something exploding for no adequately explored reason.

Mr_Teatime
2007-07-26, 10:04 PM
Seriously, what's the point of me packing my Juggernaut's P&S 19 axe if I can't use it to one-hit my opponent's light 'jacks?

That's half the fun of the game for me when I run the Butcher (my usual caster). Taking out my opponent's Centurion in one turn of melee? Yes please.

I always thought that lay in charging an enemy's unit, tearing their leader to pieces, and then tossing what remains of him casually back into his men, causing them to panic, flee and get blown to pieces by something exploding for no adequately explored reason.

Except that cannot actually happen unless there's some rule I missed.

Attilargh
2007-07-27, 11:12 AM
Except that cannot actually happen unless there's some rule I missed.
Well, there's the Rend power attack from Hordes. 'Jacks can't use it, though.

Wait, is your sig a quote from Zevanna Agha?

Blayze
2007-07-27, 12:41 PM
Well, I was using it as an example. My friend and I agreed that since the Jack in question has claws for hands...

TheThan
2007-07-31, 07:15 PM
Just got the right spellbreaker/arm for Kreoss yesterday so everything’s well and good.

I also got to play my first game Saturday. That was a blast. I would have won too if it wasn’t for a horrible, horrible attack roll with my daughters of the flame. I had the enemy war caster surround with all six daughters, (he made the foolish mistake of going after the daughters). I tried a shank + assassinate attempt, which would have worked and splurched the war caster, if I didn’t botch the attack (had a +8 attack bonus and still missed). I needed like a 3 or so to hit, and I rolled like a two or something. But I did kill most of his army thanks to Kreoss’s feat; you gotta love pop-a-mole tactics, with nothing but a heavy warjack and my warcaster.

Eventually I’m going to get some Knights Exemplar and a Paladin to fill out my force and I want a dervish warjack just because they look cool.

Leon
2007-08-02, 05:09 AM
Drop and Pop

Just bought myself Remix - Sweet Art, nice to have all the rules in one place now

nathkry
2007-08-04, 03:05 PM
I have a friend who plays, and I've been thinking of starting a cryx force based around arcing spells. 500 points would be Iron Lich Asphyxious, a full squad of satyxis raiders, a full revenant crew, 2 Deathrippers, 2 Defilers, and a 16 point model that I forget the name of. It is an undead familiar type creature.

Leon
2007-08-04, 11:50 PM
Skarlock is what your thinking of

Mr_Teatime
2007-08-06, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it's the little quote from her page in Apotheosis. The Old Witch is one of my favorite warcasters.

The fact that she's got Khador's only arcnode is just gravy.

Attilargh
2007-08-07, 05:49 AM
Sure it is. :smallamused:

There will be a Warmachine & Hordes tournament this weekend in Ropecon¹, and Yours Truly is planning to take part. Last month I... Did not do very well, but we'll see if this time it's any different. This will be the force I shall be commanding:

Faction: Magnus' Agenda
Army Points: 496/500
Victory Points: 18

Magnus the Traitor
Mangler
Nomad
Renegade
Renegade
Kell Bailoch
Loyalist Trenchers (6)

¹That's short for "Roolipeli con", or "Role-playing game con". It's a Finnish gaming convention that has very little to do with ropes.