PDA

View Full Version : Movies Hidden Figures

Legato Endless
2017-01-07, 01:55 PM
I liked it. As comedy docu-dramas go, one could do a lot worse.

It's excellent seeing some light shed on the lesser known history of the Space Race, a film that unabashedly celebrates the genius of it's characters. Being historic, we aren't pestered with clichés about how their intelligence has left them painfully unadjusted, a trope that still appears with some annoying frequency in fiction.

The film also averts having an easy villain. We don't get an easy malicious figure to hate, the closest we come is a man peevishly insecure about being shown up by the lead. Instead the structural racism of the times is the real antagonist, that everyone else has to accept or struggle against in various turns.

BWR
2017-01-07, 02:02 PM
I'm interested in seeing it, certainly. Since it's not a big movie we have to wait another month or so before it hits the theaters here. Normally the girl and I would have merely picked it up on BR since it doesn't seem like the type of movie that benefits from the big screen, but we have decided to make our little contribution to try to convince Hollywood that we are interested in seeing movies with main characters who aren't white males.
I kind of doubt we will have much impact but ...