PDA

View Full Version : Bard/Fighter Grappler Help

Ashuan21
2017-01-07, 01:58 PM
I'm currently playing a Bard/Fighter build with a focus on grappling in Out of the Abyss and I'm now at level 10 and troubled by some doubts which I hope you can help me with!!

First of all:
Classes: Fighter(EK)5/Bard(Lore)4
Race: Duergar
S18 D10 Con16 Int8 Wis10 Cha:14
HP:81 and AC:19 (Plate+Defense fighting style)
Athletics: +13 (Expertise+Str+StoneofGoodLLuck)
Magic Items: Stone of Good Luck, +1 Longsword
Feats: Warcaster

Spells:
1st level: Absorb Elements, Earth Tremor, Heal Wounds, Jump, Longstrider, Shield
2nd level: Cloud of Daggers, Enhance Ability, Knock, See Invisibility, Silence
Racial (1/longRest): Inviibility, Enlarge/Reduce

The party: Ranger/Fighter, Theurge, FavoredSoul Sorcerer, Druid/Barbarian, Arcana Cleric

The questions:
- Which level progression do you think is the best? I was thinking of this one
Fighter5/Bard5 (Short rest D8 Ispirations)
Fighter5/Bard6 (Magical Secrets)
Fighter6/Bard6 (ASI)
Fighter7/Bard6 (War Magic)
Fighter8/Bard6 (ASI and non school-restricted Wizard spells)
Fighter9/Bard6 (Indomitable)
- What should I use the future ASIs for?
Mage Slayer? Tough? Resilient Wis? +2 Str?...
- Which are the best spells this class can pick for its Magical secrets?
Enlarge/Reduce (to have it more than 1/longrest)? Fly? Armor of Agathys? Counterspell? Mirror Image?
This is the hardest and most important question I think!

I know and have read and loved the wonderful Grappler's Guide which is out there!!

Thank you for any suggestion!!! :)

kladams707
2017-01-08, 09:16 AM
Take one more level of fighter for resilient (wis). The rest bard. As a grappler, you're not going to see much action from war magic. Though, you might not find much action from your bard spells either if you're really going for that grapple.

If you want spells and the best possible cutting words, go with my original suggestion of fighter 6 and the rest bard. Otherwise, fighter1/bard 2/fighter 3. That gets you to to fighter 9/Bard 6.

I wouldn't worry about enlarge and replace one of your bard spells with hold person when you take thr next bard level. For magical secrets, you'll want fly and counterspell.

After resilient, it's really up to you. If you to take hold person/go higher with bard, you'll want to increase your charisma.

Ashuan21
2017-01-08, 06:42 PM
Yeah I guess the soft spot of this character is probably its Wisdom saving throw :/ even if Duergar gives me a sweet resistence against Charmed.

Could Armor of Agathys be useful for a grappler? I will probably only ever reach level 4 spell slots so that should stop at 20HPs... but I feel like it would be a huge boost in survivability (sometimes I get to grapple some serious guys...), especially when coupled with Cutting Words on enemy damage, Absorb Elements and BladeWard+Attack at EK7!

kladams707
2017-01-08, 08:53 PM
Yeah I guess the soft spot of this character is probably its Wisdom saving throw :/ even if Duergar gives me a sweet resistence against Charmed.

Could Armor of Agathys be useful for a grappler? I will probably only ever reach level 4 spell slots so that should stop at 20HPs... but I feel like it would be a huge boost in survivability (sometimes I get to grapple some serious guys...), especially when coupled with Cutting Words on enemy damage, Absorb Elements and BladeWard+Attack at EK7!

Honestly, I think Hold Person and higher level spells (like stoneskin) would increase survivability more...That said, if you really want that temp HP, I suppose you could replace Counterspell with Armor of Agathys. In fact, I just noticed your 8 on intelligence. Yeah, take Armor of Agathys instead. Keep fly though. You'll need that mobility.