PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Seeking ideas for a puzzle

JW86
2017-01-07, 04:08 PM
Hi,

I need to include a puzzle in an upcoming session and am running a little low on creative ideas, and would appreciate any suggestions.

There is a demiplane, called Spiritae - it is inhabited by Fey and a civilized race of Eladrin. There is only one 'access point' between Spiritae and the material plane, where the party currently reside.

The PCs have just rescued a Silver Dragon who was imprisoned by the BBEG. The Silver Dragon is an ancient ally to the Eladrin and upon being freed, seeks to speak with the Eladrin about what has transpired.

The Eladrin have mistakenly assumed the dragon had abandoned & betrayed them, and so the usual means of entry (going to the access point and simply incanting a verse) will no longer work for the Dragon.

There is also a more hidden means of accessing the plane from the access point - this is to be based on a puzzle.

So, does anybody have good puzzle ideas, or even basic fragments of an idea that might help?

The setting will be forested. Spiritae is thematic with the elements, nature, and the Eladrin have aspects of Shinto-style religion and practice. The access point is not under heavy military guard or anything like that, but should be something that usually only one familiar with their culture would possibly get.

D&D 3.5, Level 8 party (Warblade, Warlock, Druid, Shifter)

Any suggestions welcome - thank you.

jayem
2017-01-07, 05:05 PM
Some form of elemental cycle?
On the proverbs thread someone quoted a sourcebook where dragons and merfolk had opposite ways of rock-paper-scissors with the elements.
Earth(coal)-burns-Fire-heat-Water (pushes lock mechanism 1)
Earth displaces water douses fire (lock mechanism 2 cools)

If you could make 4 different cycles from the equipment...

John Longarrow
2017-01-07, 05:35 PM
First, make sure a puzzle like this works with your players. If you haven't sprung one on them talk to them about it first.

Second, I'd use an old one from Tolken..

In elvish, grown into the foliage above the gate, is the phrase "Speak Friend and enter" in elvish. Saying "Friend" in elvish opens the portal.

A more elaborate method would be "Profess your undying love for <<insert name here>> to see your hearts desire". PC just needs to say "My undying love for <<insert name here>>" to get passed.

Edit (because I was remembering Bored of the Rings)

As a very odd but fun trick, have there be a stone platform next to the portal. Upon the platform rests a piece of stone cunningly cut, for it is a foot long but only an inch by an inch otherwise. An inch in from either end projecting 2 inches perpendicularly are cylindrical projections. Give a nice, detailed description.

This is non-magical, but is keyed to the portal. Holding it to the middle of where the portal is and pulling (using it as a handle) will open the portal. Either the party will figure this out really quickly or they will take hours.

JW86
2017-01-08, 04:37 AM
Thank you both.

I will actually use all of these, sequentially, because they are all too good to skip.

And yes, I've occasionally sprung puzzles on the players before, they seem to enjoy them.

JW86
2017-01-08, 04:48 AM
One of the PCs is actually an Eladrin himself. He is too low a level/rank to have direct access.

I think the last puzzle will be an effective game of rock-paper-scissors with a mechanism.

Earth displaces water.
Water douses fire.
Fire burns earth.

Best of 3?
Hmm.. okay.. best of 5?

:)