PDA

View Full Version : Spheres of Might (formerly Spheres of Combat) kickstarter live now!

Adam Meyers
2017-01-07, 04:10 PM
The Spheres of Might, martial counterpart to Spheres of Power, is live right now on Kickstarter! (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708940685/spheres-of-might-a-new-pathfinder-martial-system)

We are extremely excited about this one, and we can't wait to see what you think of it as well. Spheres of Might changes the way martial characters are built to fit into the Spheres system, greatly expanding what concepts can be made, how early those concepts can be realized, and greatly expanding the number of options a martial character has to transform any given round into a symphony of techniques and tactical choices.

Come take a look, and thanks in advance for helping us bring this book to life!

Ssalarn
2017-01-07, 05:52 PM
And about 1/3 of the way funded! We may need to start adding stretch goals sooner than anticipated....

Lirya
2017-01-07, 06:04 PM
The vision I have in my mind of how this will turn out is just way to awesome. Spheres of Power is my favorite magic system in any RPG I know, and combining the people who are working on Spheres of Might with the concept just blows my mind. Personally the 3rd party support is the only reason I am still interested in Pathfinder, and the Spheres series is first among those.

Ssalarn
2017-01-07, 06:20 PM
The vision I have in my mind of how this will turn out is just way to awesome. Spheres of Power is my favorite magic system in any RPG I know, and combining the people who are working on Spheres of Might with the concept just blows my mind. Personally the 3rd party support is the only reason I am still interested in Pathfinder, and the Spheres series is first among those.

I, personally, couldn't imagine a more awesome team to be doing this with than Stack, N. Jolly, and Adam. We've already got a ton of awesome material and I'm actually starting an all-martial, no-casters campaign today with my home group to run the SoM classes through their paces in the mega dungeon Rappan Athuk from Frog God Games. I'll try and report in on how things go, and can't wait to start hearing about other people's experiences!

Lirya
2017-01-07, 06:59 PM
I hope I can get my hands on some playtest documents at some point so I can rewrite some NPCs for the campaign i currently GM using SoM (mostly a SoP campaign, but also using some stuff from Akashic Mysteries, Grimoire of Lost Souls, PoW, and Paizo Alchemy). The only real houserule apart for sources allowed is that Brew Potion requires Craft Alchemy + a Formula Book instead of Caster Levels + Spellbook/Spells Known/Spheres.

mrguymiah
2017-01-08, 05:14 PM
Amazing! Y'all already reached your goal. I wonder what the Stretch ones might be?

Ssalarn
2017-01-08, 05:35 PM
I hope I can get my hands on some playtest documents at some point so I can rewrite some NPCs for the campaign i currently GM using SoM (mostly a SoP campaign, but also using some stuff from Akashic Mysteries, Grimoire of Lost Souls, PoW, and Paizo Alchemy). The only real houserule apart for sources allowed is that Brew Potion requires Craft Alchemy + a Formula Book instead of Caster Levels + Spellbook/Spells Known/Spheres.

There will definitely be playtest documents rolled out for everyone. Based on the conversation the design team had last night, I believe the plan is that there's going to be a two phase playtest- we'll have an initial early playtest run for backers, and then a follow-up open playtest to get as many eyes on SoM as possible before it rolls to publication and print.

LordOfCain
2017-01-08, 05:38 PM
There will definitely be playtest documents rolled out for everyone. Based on the conversation the design team had last night, I believe the plan is that there's going to be a two phase playtest- we'll have an initial early playtest run for backers, and then a follow-up open playtest to get as many eyes on SoM as possible before it rolls to publication and print.

Now I'm especially glad I decided to back!

Ualaa
2017-01-08, 05:41 PM
A thorough play test is a great idea... catch as many issues as you can, for the most refined product once it goes to print.

I like the idea of backers getting the early access... their feedback can shape the direction, a little.

Not that you're going to have much of an issue getting backers.
Our group has four copies of Spheres of Power, and so far we want three copies of Might.
Another couple of players in the group are considering both.

Third party supplements of quality rock.
We're getting a lot of use out of Drop Dead Studios and Dreamscarred Press material.
Love it.

Lucas Yew
2017-01-12, 04:28 AM
Good. It's a shame that I missed backing SoP and thus only has the PDF. Now I can pick up that too, along with this one...

...but with one curiosity. Will it have enough NON-combat talents, too? Apart from d20's sticky feet syndrome, this is my biggest concern when backing stuff like this for any quality d20 books.

Milo v3
2017-01-12, 05:19 AM
Good. It's a shame that I missed backing SoP and thus only has the PDF. Now I can pick up that too, along with this one...

...but with one curiosity. Will it have enough NON-combat talents, too? Apart from d20's sticky feet syndrome, this is my biggest concern when backing stuff like this for any quality d20 books.
They've previewed some of the Athletics sphere which has several non-combat uses.

Lucas Yew
2017-01-12, 08:05 AM
What a relief! Now my single biggest concern is where the PDF link will be based on... (Paizo? One-Book-Shelf?)

Hunter Noventa
2017-01-12, 08:40 AM
I'll admit to being very curious, but I never got into Spheres of Power, but I've also only heard good things about it. Does anyone have some kind of overview for that so I can get an idea of how it works and what I'd be getting here?

khadgar567
2017-01-12, 08:59 AM
I'll admit to being very curious, but I never got into Spheres of Power, but I've also only heard good things about it. Does anyone have some kind of overview for that so I can get an idea of how it works and what I'd be getting here?
other treat has preview in it.

Milo v3
2017-01-12, 09:03 AM
Spheres of Power works by sort of splitting magic into different groups based on their effect (called spheres), and you take talents from those spheres to create the magic you want. For example, instead of their being tonnes and tonnes of different "I attack with fire in x specific way" which you take individually and can somehow cast delayed fireball despite not knowing a single fire spell, you instead would "Take Destruction sphere and the Fire Blast talent, (allowing you to shoot fire), and then taking the Explosive Orb talent (allowing you to cast fire AOEs)".

As for how Spheres of Might is working, there is a preview in the other thread and on the kickstarter.

stack
2017-01-12, 09:13 AM

A wiki unaffiliated with Drop Dead Studios is here (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com).