PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation Trinket limitations?

Spectre9000
2017-01-08, 10:40 AM
Prestidigitation allows you to create a nonmagical trinket or illusory image that can fit in your hand and that lasts until the end of your next turn.

What are the limitations of what kind of "trinket" you can create? Could I make a compass, dagger, key, mirror, piton, caltrops, or tinderbox? What are some useful creations?

Am I correct in assuming, since it doesn't say it has to stay or even be created in your hand, that you can create it anywhere within 10 feet and that there's no limitation on where it can go? Can I shift it to another plane?

MustacheManny
2017-01-08, 11:05 AM
I imagine that you could create all of those things and many more with prestidigitation, the problem lies with the illusionary part. An illusion of a compass would point wherever the caster would want it to point as it's not real and wouldn't function like real compass. As far as shifting to a different plane I think that would be beyond the ability of a cantrip.

Spectre9000
2017-01-08, 11:09 AM
I imagine that you could create all of those things and many more with prestidigitation, the problem lies with the illusionary part. An illusion of a compass would point wherever the caster would want it to point as it's not real and wouldn't function like real compass. As far as shifting to a different plane I think that would be beyond the ability of a cantrip.

I'm not asking about the illusion part. You can create a non-illusory trinket as part of prestidigitation. The shifting would be another ability, but I'm wondering if the trinket I make could then be shifted to another plane by different means.

MustacheManny
2017-01-08, 11:14 AM
You're right, I read the spell wrong! My bad.

Spectre9000
2017-01-08, 01:56 PM
Anyone? >.> <.<

Mith
2017-01-08, 03:21 PM
What is your intention for shifting the yrinket to another plane?

I ask, because I currently see no problem with transporting the trinket anywhere, but it is only going to last for ~6 seconds (until your next turn).

Spectre9000
2017-01-08, 04:49 PM
What is your intention for shifting the yrinket to another plane?

I ask, because I currently see no problem with transporting the trinket anywhere, but it is only going to last for ~6 seconds (until your next turn).

I don't have a particular use case. I was just curious about the limitations on the trinket. Like, what it can be, and where it can go in that 6 seconds.

SilverStud
2017-01-08, 08:11 PM
As for daggers, they don't really fit wholly in your hand, so I don't allow that. I have a hard ban on trying to make weapons with it anyway (no darts, for instance).

Outside of that?

I have a player who uses it to conjure lockpicks. If they want to imitate a key they've seen, it's a pretty high intelligence check at my table.

Another one conjures a shot glass for his liquor. (I kinda handwave the duration on that because it's just for flavor and RP)

It was funny when I let them conjure charcoal to write with, only to have the writing disappear immediately.

I would totally let the compass thing work, if they were in a society where compasses existed.

Athoren
2017-01-08, 11:44 PM
A rock (throw as disraction/improvised weapon), holy symbol (in rare case cleric lost theirs), lens, badge (or similar form of id) stuff like that

I would allow you to use it to make weapons but they would only 1 damage +STR/DEX mod and prestigitation takes your action so. (better of using other cantrips)

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-01-09, 12:32 AM
As for daggers, they don't really fit wholly in your hand, so I don't allow that. I have a hard ban on trying to make weapons with it anyway (no darts, for instance).

Outside of that?

I have a player who uses it to conjure lockpicks. If they want to imitate a key they've seen, it's a pretty high intelligence check at my table.

Another one conjures a shot glass for his liquor. (I kinda handwave the duration on that because it's just for flavor and RP)

It was funny when I let them conjure charcoal to write with, only to have the writing disappear immediately.

I would totally let the compass thing work, if they were in a society where compasses existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_compass

To add more, I say it is up to the DM to determine if the compass is a known device.

Heck, transporting the first compass safely from its inventor to a king or head of a trading guild could be a good campaign!

But back to the topic, The Chinese had compasses back to 200 BC it seems but might not have used them en-mass for some time. Europeans did not get them in heavy use until 1200.

IMO many D&D campaigns are set in a world technologically similar to Fuedal Western Europe so it is the DM's decision.