PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Banner Lord (Fighter Archetype, party support) v.02

bogsworththe3rd
2017-01-08, 12:54 PM
This is my attempt at an intelligence based fighter. When I first had the idea for a tactician style fighter, people told me just give some maneuvers to the Battlemaster. To me though, the BM doesn't quite fill that role. Even when their maneuvers involve party members, the abilities aren't even Intelligence based, which is another thing I wanted. And the PDK from Sword Coast managed to be what I wanted but in a very simplistic way. It still left me wanting more.

So this archetype is my second rough draft (applied criticisms from my friends). I would definitely love to hear some feedback and anyway I can make this archetype better! Flavor, grammar, and balance are all important to me as well.

Banner Lord (Fighter Archetype)
Among the many soldiers on the battlefield stands the one warrior who leads them all. Not a single movement of the enemy goes unnoticed. Allies rely on the warrior's mind to lead them to victory. For the banner lord, the sword is merely an extension of the brain. Every strike must be true for every battle to be won.

Sharpen the Mind
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Medicine, Perception, Persuasion.

Battle Commands
At 3rd level you learn to make battle plans to suit any encounter. You gain a number of Order points to equal to half your Fighter level (rounded up, minimum 2). These points are regained after a short or long rest. As a bonus action, you can spend one Order point and issue a command to your allies. All allies that can see or hear you gains one of the following benefits:

Bear's Endurance. Your allies add your Intelligence modifier to their saving throws. Allies also receive temporary health points equal to your fighter level + your Intelligence modifier. These health points last until concentration is lost or until they run out. Once an ally has benefited from this ability, they cannot benefit from it again until they have finished a short or long rest.
Flight of the Bumblebee. All allies gain a bonus to their movement speed equal to +10 feet. Enemies have disadvantage on attacks of opportunity made against moving allies.
Wolf Pack Tactics. Allies have advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of their allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
You can only have one command active at a time and you must maintain concentration on this command to ensure your allies gain the benefits.

War Orders
Over time you have been able to find flaws in all plans, including your own plans and can apply changes even in the midst of heated combat. At 7th level you cam issue Orders to tweak your commands.

Close Call. (Costs 1 point.) Using an action you can choose two allies that can see or hear you. These two targets can immediately move up to half their movement speed without provoking attacks of opportunity.
For every extra point spent, another ally can move.
Don't Give Up. (Cost 1 point.) When an ally is subjected to a saving throw, you can grant them advantage on the saving throw. If the effect also targets you, you must first succeed on the saving throw to use this ability.
For every additional 1 point spent, another ally can gain the benefit of this order.
Warning Shout. (Costs 1 points.) When an ally is subjected to an attack by an enemy, you can shout a word of warning as a reaction to your ally. If the ally can hear you, the enemy's attack is made at a disadvantage.

Always Prepared
At 10th level you have seen war in the most vulnerable moments and expects the unexpected. You add your Intelligence modifier to your initiative roll and you cannot be surprised.
You can spend 2 Order points and grant your allies also benefit from your knowledge of warfare and cannot be surprised.

Master Tactician
At 15th level your intellect has become the a force of nature. You see enemies as puzzles meant to be analyzed. Your command over your allies has become more precise, moving them towards the enemy with an inhuman expertise. You always keep the enemy on their toes.

Knowing Is Half the Battle. (Costs 3 points) As an action you may study an opponent to find fault in the target's defenses. You must be able to see the target and it must be within 60 feet of you. If you succeed then all allies, including you, that can see or hear you have an improved critical range of 19-20 against that target for enough rounds equal to your Intelligence modifier.
Lead the Way. (Costs 2 points.) As an action you may study the terrain up to a 90 foot radius centered around you. After studying the battlefield, you and your allies ignore nonmagical difficult terrain when moving through this area for 1 minute.
Outside of combat, Lead the Way can last up to 1 hour.
Retaliate Tenfold. (Costs 3 points.) When an ally you can see is reduced to 0 HP, you can incite your allies to retaliate against a target. All allies within range that can see or hear you can make a weapon attack against the target. These attacks are made with advantage.

Final Order
At 18th level you have mastered the art of war. You switch between commands as nimble as a dancer and the battlefield is your stage. When you find your rhythm, the fight flows in your favor until you decide it is done. Once per long rest you can issue a final order to your allies to finish the fight once and for all.
Heart of the Bear. You can only activate this Order when the Bear's Endurance command is active. Allies that can see or hear you gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from magical and nonmagical sources. This effect ends if the Bear's Endurance command ends.
Sting Like a Bee. You can only activate this Order when the Flight of the Bumblebee command is active. Allies that can see or hear you gain an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Dodge or Use an Object action. This effect ends if the Sting Like a Bee command ends.
Storm of Fangs. You can only activate this Order when the Wolf Pack Tactics command is active. Allies that can see or hear you apply your battle knowledge to their attacks. Allies can add your Intelligence modifier to their attack and damage rolls. This effect ends if the Wolf Pack Tactics command ends.