PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Someone else's brew] The Slayer, a Bloodborne-based class

Secret Wizard
2017-01-08, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I know, I know, since Matt Mercer, everyone's made some sort of Bloodborne conversion.

But I just found this one (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hkwil69Be) and I think it's a pretty interesting take on the concept. It's done by Revlid, and it was posted on the Unearthed Arcana reddit.

Gonna try to have the GM allow it for an upcoming campaign.

There are a couple of things I'm worried about though, and I was looking for input:

Offer Vitality. The whole concept seems finnicky to me. Even if I applied it, it would at least need to be some type of action, wouldn't it?
Uncanny Instincts. Advance to a passive check seems dumb to me. I know there are rules for it, but it seems like extra book-keeping for the GM.
Arcane Vigour. I guess it's not that much healing...

Probably going Covenant of the Haunted so mostly look at that for further info.

Arkhios
2017-01-08, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I know, I know, since Matt Mercer, everyone's made some sort of Bloodborne conversion.

But I just found this one (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hkwil69Be) and I think it's a pretty interesting take on the concept. It's done by Revlid, and it was posted on the Unearthed Arcana reddit.

Gonna try to have the GM allow it for an upcoming campaign.

There are a couple of things I'm worried about though, and I was looking for input:

Offer Vitality. The whole concept seems finnicky to me. Even if I applied it, it would at least need to be some type of action, wouldn't it?
Uncanny Instincts. Advance to a passive check seems dumb to me. I know there are rules for it, but it seems like extra book-keeping for the GM.
Arcane Vigour. I guess it's not that much healing...

Probably going Covenant of the Haunted so mostly look at that for further info.

Sorcerer's Font of Magic requires a bonus action, so I guess Offer Vitality could do the same.
Uncanny Instincts; yeah, *advantage* to a passive check is odd, and the equivalent bonus +5 is quite a lot. I'd probably change that to add a bonus equal to half proficiency (maybe round up to make it strong)
Arcane Vigour seems at first really strong, from action-economy point of view, as it is equivalent to 2nd level Cure Wounds, but it increases only slightly as the dice improve, so honestly, I'm not sure if it is much too strong.

Revlid
2017-01-10, 09:19 AM
Hey, this is a pleasant surprise. I came over here to post the latest version, and found a thread pre-made.

What excellent service!

Offer Vitality. The whole concept seems finnicky to me. Even if I applied it, it would at least need to be some type of action, wouldn't it?I ultimately decided not to tie Offer Vitality to an action, because it effectively lets you trade spell slots for maximum hit points. You are casting from your hp, rather than doing something crazy and new, so it's "part" of the spellcasting action, just like using a regular spell slot.

I considered using a bonus action, like the Sorcerer's Font of Magic, but Offer Vitality has a more punishing cost and – more pressingly – is a core feature of a class that uses bonus actions a lot. Quick Step, two-weapon fighting, Smite-esque spells... Requiring a bonus action would be very painful, so it's just part of the spellcasting action.

Uncanny Instincts. Advance to a passive check seems dumb to me. I know there are rules for it, but it seems like extra book-keeping for the GM.It's essentially a +5 which doesn't stack with other bonuses of the same type. Advantage on Initiative is the same deal for anyone who uses static Initiative.

Arcane Vigour. I guess it's not that much healing...Two uses of Arcane Vigour will most likely restore a bit more hp than a single use of a Fighter's Second Wind. However, because they're tied directly to spell slot usage, you either have less control over when you receive this healing, or need to carefully time your spells so you get the most out of it. You can obviously acquire more uses of Arcane Vigour, but doing so reduces your maximum hit points – which means you'll "meet in the middle" as your margin for healing becomes steadily smaller.