PDA

View Full Version : Martial Adept class questions

AslanCross
2007-07-18, 04:45 PM
Just went through the Tome of Battle yesterday and saw a lot of interesting stuff. I have some questions, though.

1. Just how many disciplines can your character choose from? I'm under the impression that a character can choose as many maneuvers from any of the disciplines available to his class.

2. Do you need to be using the discipline's favored weapons to use its maneuvers?

3. Can you "combine" the effects of strikes and boosts from various disciplines? (For example, Iron Heart's Adamantine Hurricane + Tiger Claw's Girallion Windmill Flesh Rip).

The_Snark
2007-07-18, 04:50 PM
Just went through the Tome of Battle yesterday and saw a lot of interesting stuff. I have some questions, though.

1. Just how many disciplines can your character choose from? I'm under the impression that a character can choose as many maneuvers from any of the disciplines available to his class.

Yep, any of the ones available to your class. Although you have to meet the prerequisites for each individual maneuver.

2. Do you need to be using the discipline's favored weapons to use its maneuvers?

Nope. The favored weapons affect a couple of feats and abilities (Shadow Blade, White Raven Defense, the swordsage's Discipline Focus); that's all.

3. Can you "combine" the effects of strikes and boosts from various disciplines? (For example, Iron Heart's Adamantine Hurricane + Tiger Claw's Girallion Windmill Flesh Rip).

Yes. I think that Tiger Claw boost has specific information on how to deal with attacking more than one creature, too.

Douglas
2007-07-18, 05:18 PM
1. Any of your maneuvers can come from any discipline available to the class that grants the maneuver. Most of the higher level maneuvers require some number of lower level maneuvers of the same discipline as prereqs, however, so there's a limit to how much dipping you can do.

2. In general, no. There might be a few maneuvers that say otherwise, and some feats and abilities are dependent on discipline favored weapons, but all of those are explicitly stated.

3. Yes. In that specific example, you would get 8d6 bonus damage against each creature that you hit with both of the Adamantine Hurricane attacks.

AslanCross
2007-07-19, 05:31 AM
Great, thanks a lot. :smallbiggrin: