PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed strike and Weapon alternating attacks(Pathfinder)

Stormspace
2017-01-08, 09:07 PM
A monks improved unarmed strike doesn't incur offhand penalties, so my question is, can a monk alternate attacks using a weapon one round and an unarmed attack the next while holding the weapon and not incurr any penalties?

stanprollyright
2017-01-08, 09:57 PM
Yes. You can even alternate in the same round with Flurry of Blows and a monk weapon.

Necroticplague
2017-01-08, 10:04 PM
A monks improved unarmed strike doesn't incur offhand penalties, so my question is, can a monk alternate attacks using a weapon one round and an unarmed attack the next while holding the weapon and not incurr any penalties?

Yes. however, that is true of literally any other weapon. If you have a dagger in one hand, and a shortsword in the other, you can attack with the shortsword one round at no penalty, then the dagger the next, still at no penalty. The only penalty would be when you use TWF in order to get more attacks. Heck, if you have BaB of +6 or more, you can attack with both in the same round at no penalty (beyond the -5 for iteratives).

Psyren
2017-01-09, 03:15 AM
Yes. You can even alternate in the same round with Flurry of Blows and a monk weapon.

This - in fact, the whole point of PF flurry (or one point anyway) is that you don't need TWF at all. Rather, you end up with the same number of attacks and the same penalty as a full BAB class using TWF, with no feat expenditure, and can in fact come out ahead once the ki pool is added in.

Personally though I prefer Unchained Flurry, which has slighltly fewer attacks overall but no TWF or flurry penalties, so more of your hits land in the end.