PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Why do some consumables have spell level limits? Why are they so weak?

Endarire
2017-01-09, 12:09 AM
Greetings, all!

Why do some consumables have spell level limits? For example, by RAW, potions cap at spell level 3 and wands at spell level 4. Staves and wondrous items have no such limits. To my present understanding, psionic 'potions' (tattoos) and 'wands' (dorjes) have no such limit.

Also, why do consumables generally not scale with user caster level/spell DC? Generally, staves do, but scrolls, potions, wands, and wondrous items don't - and likewise with their psionic equivalents.

Such items can be useful, but have generally been most useful as niche utility items instead of having a 'spell in a bottle' or a 'wand of the most powerful spell I can cast that acts just like a spell slot, and with 50 charges.'

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-09, 12:48 AM
You're mistaken about normal psy-tatts and dorjes. Both are capped the same as their magical counterparts.

That out of the way, the answer to your question is a simple one; niche protection and balance (nominally).

Potions and wands are capped as they are to prevent excessive early access to higher level spells. This is also why "standard" staves have several mid-level spells in them; to force the players to attempt to have single-spell staves commissioned and make them run it by the DM.

The reason they're generally weaker than an actual spellcaster (though they can be made just as powerful for extra cost, again, on commission) is to prevent the casters from being outshone by a stack of cash (as misplaced as that concern was during the design phase).

Ultimately, both were eventually relaxed by the inclusion of a number of options ranging from feats and PrC's uncapping the original to alternate items that are basically uncapped versions of the same things. This eventually culminated in the artificer class being able to drag full spellcasting power and then some out of the items he makes or buys.

Lord Vukodlak
2017-01-09, 12:53 AM
Greetings, all!

Why do some consumables have spell level limits? For example, by RAW, potions cap at spell level 3 and wands at spell level 4. Staves and wondrous items have no such limits. To my present understanding, psionic 'potions' (tattoos) and 'wands' (dorjes) have no such limit.

Also, why do consumables generally not scale with user caster level/spell DC? Generally, staves do, but scrolls, potions, wands, and wondrous items don't - and likewise with their psionic equivalents.

Such items can be useful, but have generally been most useful as niche utility items instead of having a 'spell in a bottle' or a 'wand of the most powerful spell I can cast that acts just like a spell slot, and with 50 charges.'

Wands and scrolls are supposed to be weaker then staves, and a much more common magic item. If they scaled with caster level they'd be much much more powerful rather then more utility items. They aren't meant to be useful all the time. If wands could store any level of spell well there'd be no point to a staff just make more wands. Its why Craft staff as a level requirement of 12 and Craft Wand is only 5. Potions are limited to 3rd level as they are usable by EVERYONE. This way you don't make stuff like a potion of shapechange or some other extremely powerful personal only spell.

Scrolls are also rather cheap if they scaled with level(like staves) you'd have to question the use of staves chances are you don't need a battery of fifty charges at least not in the short run, if scrolls scaled with level you could just make two or three of the spells you want and make more as needed.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-01-09, 12:55 AM
Dorjes aren't capped. The table on this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/dorjes.htm) lists them up to level 9.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-09, 01:14 AM
Dorjes aren't capped. The table on this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/dorjes.htm) lists them up to level 9.

I stand corrected. I've always been more interested in the expanded tatts rules from the mind's eye article; getting wired.