PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 10th Lvl - Sorcerer/Monk Spell & feat list

J'Tal
2017-01-09, 12:53 AM
I have a 10th lvl gestalt Sorcerer/Monk w/Vow of Poverty. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for a Spell list and a feat list from the 3.5 books.?

I plan on getting 'Snap Kick' & 'Roundabout Kick' as feats, but I was looking for some additional recommendations.

I appreciate any assistance you offer.

NevinPL
2017-01-09, 04:09 AM
1. You're trying to mix probably the two most "handicapped" 3E classes (sans Fighter ofc)...
2. What are you trying to achieve ?

Mordaedil
2017-01-09, 04:23 AM
Your biggest worry, honestly, is your MAD (Multiple Ability score Dependencies). Monk cares the least for charisma, which is the only score that the sorcerer cares for.

You are going to suffer from that. So as Nevin says, it requires some context for what you are trying to accomplish. Do you mind if you just get a few spell levels, are you going to mostly run around slapping people with touch attacks? If so, the cleric merges way better and has more to offer.

Basically, why sorcerer over anything else?

Troacctid
2017-01-09, 05:30 AM
Ascetic Mage is going to be an obvious choice, of course.

I recommend Chill Touch, as it combines nicely with unarmed strikes: you get to make one attack per level in a single standard action, and you should be able to deliver all of them as punches, which is pretty nice out of a 1st level slot. Parching Touch, from Sandstorm, is similarly strong, as is Corrosive Grasp (Spell Compendium). For a souped-up 5th level version, try Storm Touch from Magic of Eberron, which is actually just crazy broken—each attack deals 9d6 damage and forces a save against stunning. At CL 10, that's a potential 90d6 damage and a near-guaranteed stun, which is just ridiculous, honestly.

Also, any Sorcerer-based melee gish is also probably going to want Bladeweave, from Spell Compendium, and as an unarmed attacker, you'll probably want Greater Mighty Wallop, from Races of the Dragon, as well.

Pleh
2017-01-09, 06:37 AM
Don't worry about the naysayers. They're talking about optimization. It only matters much if your fellow party members are drastically better optimized than you are, or if your dm doesn't know quite how to balance the game.

And what's this nonsense about sorcerer being one of the most terrible classes, anyway? Last I checked, it was T2 pretty definitively.

If you want to avoid MAD (multiple attribute dependency), you could gestalt cleric/monk and then your spellcasting and monk abilities focus on wisdom.

But if you're set on sorcerer monk, then I recommend the Enlightened Fist PrC. It lets you spend stunning fist uses per day to cast touch spells with your unarmed strike.

Anthrowhale
2017-01-09, 07:38 AM
You might want to look into "Arcane Strike" (the feat) and "Wraithstrike" (the spell). The first allows you to sacrifice a spell for +levelD4 damage and +level to hit while the second makes all attacks touch attacks.

If you can manage Incantatrix on the Sorcerer side, being able to persist Wraithstrike would be fantastic.

J'Tal
2017-01-09, 10:31 AM
I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I'm going Monk/Dragon Disciple for the next 10 lvls.

My group is pretty advanced and have been playing the last 15 yrs+.

I want to say thanks for the recommendations so far.

Gruftzwerg
2017-01-09, 10:47 AM
I appreciate any assistance you offer.

If you dunno what to do with spells (or what to pick in your chase), maybe consider a Clawlock (Monk/Warlock with Eldritch Claw feat, see my Almighty Claw signature build for info). And since Warlock doesn't rely on a Caster stat (unless for save DCs, but if you pick buff invocations for your melee character it doesn't matter) and therefor wouldn't be so MAD as a Sorcerer combined with Monk would be.

Enlightened Fist is the way to go either way (Sorcerer or Warlock). It progresses your spellcasting and monk abilities and even let em combine it.

Mordaedil
2017-01-10, 02:11 AM
I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I'm going Monk/Dragon Disciple for the next 10 lvls.

My group is pretty advanced and have been playing the last 15 yrs+.

I want to say thanks for the recommendations so far.

Given how gestalts work, that's actually pretty solid. My only question is why not earlier?

Troacctid
2017-01-10, 02:20 AM
Also, make sure you're taking the Dark Moon substitution level at Monk 7, it's probably the most powerful ability in the entire class.