PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Duskblade

Jack_McSnatch
2017-01-09, 03:15 AM
Yeah, it's generally regarded as a bad idea, but it's a gestalt game, and I'm getting a ton of feats from psychic warrior. What sorts of metamagic feats would be worth it? I was thinking of taking easy metamagic energy admixture, and arcane thesis, dropping the adjustment down to +1 on my thesis spell. If I combine that with versatile spellcaster, I could be doing it on a 5th level spell even.

All in all, I just don't know if it'll be worth all those feats. Just that blurb up there is six feats. Would those slots be better spent on other things?

noce
2017-01-09, 05:46 AM
If you want the feeling of metamagic on a duskblade, I suggest sudden metamagic feats.
They let you apply the effect on the fly on a spell in the moment you're casting it, without increasing casting time or spell level.
Each works 1/day.
I suggest sudden extend, sudden empower and sudden maximize. No other prerequisite needed.

Khedrac
2017-01-09, 08:32 AM
Don't forget Rapid Metamagic - otherwise you will be stuck with full-round casting times for your metamagic'd spells.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-01-09, 09:06 AM
Note that your psychic warrior feats can't be used on metamagic feats.

If you want a metamagic duskblade gestalt build, I would suggest taking duskblade and Ultimate Magus, or possibly Mind Mage, for the psionic feel.

Arcane Thesis plus Empower Spell and Practical Metamagic means your thesis spell is always empowered. I think it's slightly better than Admixture, because it's easier to use (gets online faster and is cheaper).

Darrin
2017-01-09, 09:07 AM
Sounds like a job for Psycarnum Infusion.

Change your race to Azurin (if possible). Take Midnight Metamagic and another metamagic feat with a +1 level adjustment, such as Sculpt Spell. Or if you prefer a +2 metamagic and have the feats for it, something like Practical Metamagic and Empower Spell/Fell Drain. Arcane Thesis should work as well.

After you've expended your essentia on these spells, whenever you want to use them again, use Psycarnum Infusion to expend your focus and refill the feat with essentia.

bean illus
2017-01-09, 12:04 PM
A one level dip into cloistered cleric nets you 3 domains with powers such as extend spell, improved initiative, blind fight, weapon focus (warhammer), scribe scroll, or other gems that might lighten the feat load in general. Of course you would also get the extra 16 skill points and a small handful of almost useful stuff (Unseen Servant?).

Just a thought.

Rebel7284
2017-01-09, 12:42 PM
Energy Admixture seems like it's not worth it at +4 adjustment and a prerequisite feat.

What I would do:
Be one of many races with a dragonblood subtype.
Maximize Spell
Easy Metamagic[Maximize Spell]
Practical Metamagic[Maximize Spell]
Versatile Spellcaster

Any spell you cast can be maximized just by sacrificing an extra spell slot of the same level.

Troacctid
2017-01-09, 01:01 PM
There are also prestige classes that can help, like Escalation Mage.