PDA

View Full Version : Zealous assassin

Spacehamster
2017-01-09, 12:08 PM
So always wanted to build a nova type killing machine and thought why not an assassin templar type character, now I turn to you for validation of this build.

Race: half elf
Ability scores after racial 16/14/15/8/8/14
ASI/feats in order: alert, +2STR, +2STR, Resilient(CON) AND +2CHA. End scores: 20/14/16/8/8/16

Background: Criminal
Racial skills: Sleigth of hand and perception
Rogue skill: acrobatics, athletics, intimidation, persuasion+ stealth/perception expertise.
Levels 12 Vengence paladin, 4 Assassin, 4 eldritch knight.
Fighting styles: mariner and defense
Weapon: great sword
Armor: Medium(going for the 14AC one without stealth disadvantage) netting me 18AC with the two styles.

See any glaring troubles with this build? Eldritch knight is mainly there for getting 1more caster level + action surge in one neat package to get that sweet 4th level slot for nova.

Specter
2017-01-09, 03:45 PM
Mariner won't work in heavy armor, and if you're going for light armor boosting STR is not a good idea. I would keep it DEX-based.

Another simpler option is War Cleric 2/Assassin X. You only want the cleric levels to make sure your nova hits with +10, and get an extra attack that crits on it.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-01-09, 04:29 PM
Mariner won't work in heavy armor, and if you're going for light armor boosting STR is not a good idea. I would keep it DEX-based.

Good thing he's going for medium armour then.

Specter
2017-01-09, 04:41 PM
Good thing he's going for medium armour then.

I thought Mariner only worked in light armor. Well, my bad.

But I still see no reason not to go studded leather; with 20DEX and the 2 styles, that would be 19AC. And with a finesse weapon, he could get to apply that sneak attack damage somehow.

Spacehamster
2017-01-09, 05:18 PM
I thought Mariner only worked in light armor. Well, my bad.

But I still see no reason not to go studded leather; with 20DEX and the 2 styles, that would be 19AC. And with a finesse weapon, he could get to apply that sneak attack damage somehow.

How is 20 DEX good with a great sword?

Specter
2017-01-09, 05:21 PM
How is 20 DEX good with a great sword?

It's not. No assassin is good with one. Get a rapier, forget STR completely. Or take a full plate. No need to stand in the middle of the road.

Spacehamster
2017-01-09, 05:53 PM
It's not. No assassin is good with one. Get a rapier, forget STR completely. Or take a full plate. No need to stand in the middle of the road.

The rapier is better if I want my nova to be worse with 3 levels assassin the sneak attack damage even when critting is pitiful, let's have a look at a nova without smiting just to make it short.

Rapier with action surge: 2d8 * 4 + 2d8 * 4 (weapon die and improved divine smite) + 4d6 sneak attack + 20 = 106 avg damage.

With great sword and action surge: 4d6 * 4 + 2d8 * 4 + 20 = 107 even with sneak attack it's one less damage and suffers heavily from not being as cool as an assassin that cleaves you down the middle instead of poking you with a sharp stick. ;)

Biggstick
2017-01-09, 07:41 PM
I mean, you've gone this far into Paladin, why not just go full Paladin? While late game Vengeance Paladin isn't as appealing as Devotion or Ancients, Dimension Door, Hold Monster, and the capstone are all interesting abilities for a zealous right hand of -insert deity here-.

That thought aside, what's your proposed leveling order? I see a lot of different options available, and your proposed nova combo is only possible in the late teens level 20. This will be nice for the 1-2 sessions you play at that high of a level, but you're most likely going to spend much more time in the levels 5-15 area. What's the character going to look like as they level through this particular region of levels?

You're obviously starting Rogue based on your skills chosen, but I'm curious about your saves. Your Wisdom saves are going to be difficult to overcome. Most primary Paladins are fine throwing a 10 into Wisdom and counting on the save aura + proficiency to wisdom saves to cover them, but you won't be able to. What do you plan to do about that? I mean, sure you'll be fine against fear and charm (not really against the charm, since advantage with a small modifier won't really help that much against a 15-21 DC). I think you may be better served by trading Alert for Resilient Wisdom. I assume your DM will be fine with taking the feat twice, as they're allowing you the UA Mariner fighting style.

I would also suggest spending that first ASI on +2 Str, as you can get comfortable with the 18 Strength until you feel the need to up it again (12th, 16th, or 19th/20th level).

Specter
2017-01-09, 08:51 PM
The rapier is better if I want my nova to be worse with 3 levels assassin the sneak attack damage even when critting is pitiful, let's have a look at a nova without smiting just to make it short.

Rapier with action surge: 2d8 * 4 + 2d8 * 4 (weapon die and improved divine smite) + 4d6 sneak attack + 20 = 106 avg damage.

With great sword and action surge: 4d6 * 4 + 2d8 * 4 + 20 = 107 even with sneak attack it's one less damage and suffers heavily from not being as cool as an assassin that cleaves you down the middle instead of poking you with a sharp stick. ;)

That's fine, but sneak attack damage will still count on any other combat round, even if you have no surprise on the first turn. Making a character for one specific situation that may never happen is not one-dimensional, it's zero-dimensh. And taking 3 levels in one class for one ability is sad, too. But to each his own.

Spacehamster
2017-01-10, 03:07 AM
That's fine, but sneak attack damage will still count on any other combat round, even if you have no surprise on the first turn. Making a character for one specific situation that may never happen is not one-dimensional, it's zero-dimensh. And taking 3 levels in one class for one ability is sad, too. But to each his own.

And again the greatsword does just as well in normal combat turns, dunno what your beef is but I dont want a DEX based char, the entire idea were a Zealous assassin not a sneaky assassin. :)