PDA

View Full Version : Skill checks instead of attack rolls?

Mindstab_Thrull
2017-01-09, 05:07 PM
So I've been searching but my Google-fu is failing me. Is there a way in 3.5 (or 3e) to make an attack roll using a skill check instead? I seem to remember such but don't know where. I'm playing a gestalt game and looking at Exemplar for my last few levels on one side.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-09, 05:31 PM
There are a couple of diamond mind maneuvers that allow you to sub a concentration check for an attack roll.

Deaxsa
2017-01-09, 05:52 PM
Are we talking about x stat to y bonus, or making all attack rolls into a skill check of some variety?

Telonius
2017-01-09, 05:59 PM
Iajutsu Focus (from Oriental Adventures) lets you add bonus damage based on your skill check result against a flat-footed enemy, though it doesn't actually substitute the check for an attack.

St Fan
2017-01-09, 06:07 PM
There are a couple of diamond mind maneuvers that allow you to sub a concentration check for an attack roll.

Wrong; there are a couple that allow you to replace your DAMAGE roll with a Concentration check, not the attack roll.

Rijan_Sai
2017-01-09, 06:08 PM

AFB right now, but I don't remember that... I know there are a couple of maneuvers (Insightful Strike and Greater) that sub damage rolls for concentration checks (one being 2x the check!) but I don't remember any subbing for attack rolls.

(Of course, there is the lovely Aura of Perfect Order from Devoted Spirit, but not quite what OP was asking about...)

Edit: And Swordsage'd! :smallsmile:

Mindstab_Thrull
2017-01-09, 06:13 PM
Deaxsa, Kelb_Panthera has the right idea. I'm looking to make a skill check to hit my opponent instead of an attack roll. Which by the sound of things means cracking open ToB. Never played with manoeuvres before so wish me luck!

Kelb_Panthera
2017-01-09, 07:32 PM
Seems I was thinking of the sapphire and ruby nightmare blade maneuvers. Concentration vs AC to render the target flat-footed and get an extra d6 of damage.

My bad.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-09, 07:38 PM
I'm guessing that no such thing exists; even by WotC-optimization standards it's a huge bump in effective attack.

Doctor Despair
2017-01-09, 09:30 PM
Knowledge Devotion is kind of like this, but capped. Still very useful.

Ruethgar
2017-01-09, 10:05 PM
AEG's book "Magic" has rules for spontaneous free form magic that uses skill checks to replicate spells which can be sort of like attacking with skills for things like Fireball. Truenaming also does this of course, but worse. Lucid Dreaming can also do this if you think creatively even without abusing the Dreamheart.

But as far as physical attacks, can't think of any.

Deophaun
2017-01-09, 11:58 PM
Well... Sleight of Hand could be used in certain circumstances that way (such as planting a object imbued with sacred item on an undead/evil outsider, or applying contact poison)

Castilonium
2017-01-10, 12:57 AM
Path of War has a few maneuvers that do this. It's a 3rd party product from Dreamscarred Press for Pathfinder, based on ToB.

Scarlet Throne (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/scarlet-throne-maneuvers) uses sense motive for an attack roll with Rising Zenith Strike, Ruby Zenith Strike, and Descending Sunset Strike. Piercing Thunder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/piercing-thunder-maneuvers) uses acrobatics for an attack roll with Leaping Strike and Leaping Thunder Crash. Tempest Gale (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/tempest-gale-maneuvers) uses sleight of hand for an attack roll with Trick of the Wind.