PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Free Programs

xxBastet
2017-01-09, 05:52 PM
I'm sure this has been posted hundreds of times before, but I was hoping (perhaps futilely) that there would be something more recent...
Does anyone know of any good, free (I'll take cheap as well) programs that track combat? Preferably with monster stats built in.
Ive looked at a few, and would be affordable if I lived in America, but converting to AUD, its just out of my price range...

Troacctid
2017-01-09, 05:58 PM
There's Roll20 (http://roll20.org). Does that count?

Mordaedil
2017-01-10, 05:07 AM
Roll20 will do for combat, albeit you could also use the trial version of Fantasy Grounds if you are just using local data and it comes with monster stats.

Does roll20 have monster stat blocks? I haven't seen those, that might help my DM out a lot.

Firest Kathon
2017-01-10, 05:21 AM
I am using Lion Den's Game Master app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/game-master-pathfinder-rpg/id869493578?mt=8) on the iPad. You can try it out for free, and the full version including a sizable bestiary sells for US$ 2,99, so around 4 AUD. I also saw that there are some more files available by other people (e.g. here (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/34p4uc/lions_den_dd5e_ios_app_community_dropbox_files/) for D&D 5e) which you can upload into the app.

Ualaa
2017-01-10, 07:50 AM
There's 'Combat Manager' by Kyle Olson.
It's aimed towards Pathfinder.

Hero Lab, has a free version... but I believe that prevents you from saving portfolios.
There is a combat manager, built into the program which is free.
But without at least the base program, it would be a pain to use without saved portfolios for each of the things you'd want to load into the current combat.

I've used both of these for Pathfinder combats.

I like Combat Manager, in that you can do an AoE, and check six combatants who are in the area.
And then type in 28 damage, as what the 'Fireball' did.
You can then uncheck the guy with Evasion who made his save.
And check half damage for two, without Evasion, who made their saves.
And leave checked (without checking half damage) the remainder who failed their saves.
The one button then applies damage appropriately, to multiple targets at once.

I like the HL 'Tactical Console', in that I can apply conditions in real time (but still need to manually track duration).
So if a creature is charging, and has a magical item that gets them an extra +1 to attack rolls on a charge and +2 damage on said charge, that will be built into their output.
I can have that character with other conditions checked, buffs and/or debuffs applied (via adjustments), rage or not, etc... and it all calculates the correct stacking which is really nice.
The initiative order is fine, a little easier to do than Combat Manager.

The big differences between the two, as far as combat goes once you have the programs:
a) Combat Manager can apply damage to multiples at once, while HL will require you to apply damage or healing to each creature in repetition; and
b) Hero Lab will allow you to stack conditions, buffs, debuffs, anything else, and apply/stack them all correctly.

GilesTheCleric
2017-01-10, 10:22 AM
What would a program do that's it's not faster to do with paper? If you're planning on having buffed enemies, just apply the buffs during your pre-game prep.

firecracker37
2017-01-10, 04:19 PM
I've been running my campaign with a free Java program called MapTools from RPTools.net. It functions similar to Roll20, but without the need to pay for advanced features like lighting and vision blocking. They have campaign files for many systems that have a lot of the calculations and character management systems prebuilt and coded for you. It is probably a little overkill for a combat manager, but it is free.

Ced
2017-01-11, 05:10 AM
I've been using DM Tools: https://www.aaasoftwareenterprises.com/dd-3-5-dm-tools/

It's a very complete program that comes with monster stats for a lot of existing books. It manages character creation (with all existing feats, skills, spells, ...), monster stats, effects (like buffs, spells, ...), ... Actually, it does manage almost every aspect of the combat. It takes a bit of time to get used to it but the reason for that is because there's so many things that the program can do, that it takes a bit of time to go over all program features.

You can also create your own monsters, feats, items, spells, ...

And the best thing is: it's completely free!

Swaoeaeieu
2017-01-11, 05:27 AM
i'll second (or third) using Roll20.

usefull for keeping track of maps, hp, tokens, character sheets and handouts, players can even keep their own notes in it.
It doesnt have monster stats programmed in but i always just keep stats in the book i got them from, and some stats (might) be online if you look in the right places.

it is also free, adding a few more features like dynamic shadows if you pay for it. But in my oppinion as a starting dm, the free version is more then fine.