PDA

View Full Version : UA Artificer - Constructs - Beast List

8wGremlin
2017-01-09, 07:34 PM
Just put this list togeather with Monster Manual creatures

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XBRRYvmE6t_XA2ICfC5v15a8cNEOix5vnuzFa-mNapY/edit?usp=sharing

Please post additional creatures that fit the criteria, and I'll add them in.

Thanks!

Dualswinger
2017-01-09, 07:48 PM
Reported.... for being a very helpful individual :D

Matticusrex
2017-01-09, 09:13 PM
Riding a giant eagle or vulture at level 6 is pretty good.

Dr.Samurai
2017-01-09, 10:13 PM
The Auroch, Cow, and Hadrosaur (I believe) from Volo's Guide.

8wGremlin
2017-01-09, 10:28 PM
The Auroch, Cow, and Hadrosaur (I believe) from Volo's Guide.

Thank You Dr.Samuari, I've added them now.

Any other, what about the published adventures?

Lonely Tylenol
2017-01-09, 10:39 PM
Missing the following creatures. I'll edit with any others I see.

EDIT: Many of these are CR 0 creatures, which would have a very narrow niche, if any, likely related to out-of-combat scouting of some type.

Ape (CR 1/2, Medium, MM p. 317)
Baboon (CR 0, Small, MM p. 318)
Badger (CR 0, Tiny, MM p. 318)
Bat (CR 0, Tiny, MM p. 318)
Black Bear (CR 1/2, Medium, MM p. 318)

EDIT 2: Seems to only list Large creatures? In which case, the missing creatures are "all Medium and smaller creatures of CR 2 or less."

Arcangel4774
2017-01-09, 10:47 PM
EDIT 2: Seems to only list Large creatures? In which case, the missing creatures are "all Medium and smaller creatures of CR 2 or less."

The ability allows for "large beasts with challenge rating 2 or less"

Lonely Tylenol
2017-01-09, 10:51 PM
The ability allows for "large beasts with challenge rating 2 or less"

Oh, didn't notice it didn't allow smaller creatures. My bad.

Regitnui
2017-01-09, 11:44 PM
Pity. The 3.5 artificer could craft a winged messenger homunculus, which would be more or less perfectly represented by a tressym. The shadow sneak homunculus were essentially shadowy humanoids. This artificer gets an Iron Defender; much larger than the 3.5 Iron Defender with more options.

SharkForce
2017-01-10, 01:33 AM
Riding a giant eagle or vulture at level 6 is pretty good.

a giant octopus bodyguard can be quite handy as well though :P

RedMage125
2017-01-10, 01:34 AM
Pity. The 3.5 artificer could craft a winged messenger homunculus, which would be more or less perfectly represented by a tressym. The shadow sneak homunculus were essentially shadowy humanoids. This artificer gets an Iron Defender; much larger than the 3.5 Iron Defender with more options.

My favorite 3.5e construct buddy was the Packmate. Mine was always half-filled with Alchemists Fire/Frost, vials of Acid, and Holy Water.

That said, I am very intrigued to give this class a shot. A lot of these Unearthed Arcana releases lately have been hinting towards Eberron. The Druid Circles seemed very close to Greensingers, Wardens of the Wood, and Children of Winter, respectively.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-10, 09:23 AM
Oh, didn't notice it didn't allow smaller creatures. My bad.

The fact that the wording doesn't allow it is almost certainly a playtest material oversight. There is zero reason not to allow smaller creatures, as the CR is the important factor.
Any reasonable DM will allow smaller than large as long as it isn't broken.

Slayn82
2017-01-10, 09:30 AM
a giant octopus bodyguard can be quite handy as well though :P

Giant Spider is quite versatile.

SharkForce
2017-01-10, 10:47 AM
The fact that the wording doesn't allow it is almost certainly a playtest material oversight. There is zero reason not to allow smaller creatures, as the CR is the important factor.

alternately, it wouldn't be terribly hard to make a CR 2 large ape if we wanted to :P

jaappleton
2017-01-10, 10:50 AM
Artificer - Gunsmith
Revised Ranger - Beast Conclave
Sorcerer - Shadow

Three party members suddenly becomes six.

This party has the potential to be pretty amazing, really.

Regitnui
2017-01-10, 10:50 AM

It's also a nice placeholder for the future addition of CR<2 constructs meant to serve as homunculi for this feature. They didn't have to publish three new monsters (e.g. packmate, iron defender and expeditious messenger) and could concentrate attention on the class itself.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-10, 11:20 AM
It's also a nice placeholder for the future addition of CR<2 constructs meant to serve as homunculi for this feature. They didn't have to publish three new monsters (e.g. packmate, iron defender and expeditious messenger) and could concentrate attention on the class itself.

Indeed.
But I am a little disappointed that your iron defender doesn't level with you somewhat a'la beast companion. Maybe not as much as the companion, as this starts with an higher CR, but something would have been nice. Hopefully that's something that will be fixed if/when we get a real release.
Put it in your surveys, people.

Larpus
2017-01-10, 01:51 PM
The real question is whether you can add legs to that Hunter Shark.

I'm guessing that I can't, but I'll be damned if I won't bug the hell out of my DM until he allows me to!

Alternatively, screw it, I'll have the stationary mecha shark, I'll give it to the Barbarian as a weapon.

jaappleton
2017-01-10, 01:53 PM

I'm guessing that I can't, but I'll be damned if I won't bug the hell out of my DM until he allows me to!

Alternatively, screw it, I'll have the stationary mecha shark, I'll give it to the Barbarian as a weapon.

If only we could somehow make a Mecha-Dragonborn

MECHA GODZILLA WITH BREATH WEAPON!

Lombra
2017-01-10, 02:01 PM
I think that the size limitation is made because for as much good as you can be as an artificier, making a smaller than large machine implies components miniaturization for which the designers think the class shouldn't be able to make... it obviously wouldn't break the game, but it's a nice limitation that adds fluff imo.

8wGremlin
2017-01-10, 02:05 PM

You can make it look like however you want... BUT, it still has the same land movement speed! (ie 0)

Same with the Octopus, after 30 mins it starts to drown in air, Construct doesn't prevent the need to breath.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-10, 02:25 PM
making a smaller than large machine implies components miniaturization for which the designers think the class shouldn't be able to make...

Warforged (medium) and Warforged Scouts (small) disagree with your theory and take it as a personal affront.

Lombra
2017-01-10, 02:30 PM
Warforged (medium) and Warforged Scouts (small) disagree with your theory and take it as a personal affront.

What are Warforgeds? They're from Volo's aren't they?

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-10, 02:38 PM
What are Warforgeds? They're from Volo's aren't they?

http://tribality.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/eberron-740x360.jpg

Warforged (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf) are living constructs native to Eberron (where the Artificer comes from originally). Not from Volo's. Not from Faerun. They were created as constructs in the same manner as these, and then invested with life/souls of their own.
Heck, even the inspiration for this feature (the iron defender and its counterparts) were medium creatures in previous editions.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/eberron/images/9/97/91465.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111010012950
It's my opinion that the final text will almost certainly read "large or smaller" rather than just large.

Temperjoke
2017-01-10, 02:55 PM
One thing that bothers me is that the text doesn't say it can actually fly, or even uses all the abilities in the stat block:

Select a Large beast with a challenge rating of 2 or less. The servant uses that beast’s game statistics, but it can look however you like, as long as its form is appropriate for its statistics.

That could be interpreted to mean just the STR, CON, DEX, etc., of the beast that you select, not abilities such as bite or flying, even if you give it a form that can fly or hover. You may not be allowed to use the MM for the stat base either. If both of those things are true, then I'd use the Dire Wolf as the base stats, it's got 14 armor and 37 HP.

On the other hand, if you can use the MM, but no flight, then I'd go with the Allosaurus, it's got 13 armor, 51 HP, 19 strength and 17 con!

But if flight is allowed, then the Giant Eagle is probably the best pick for the most powerful flying beast available.

To be honest though, I'd probably throw open the ability to go with medium-sized beasts as well. I mean, I don't see it as breaking anything at that point, nor are you giving yourself that big of an advantage (maybe in social settings, dealing with putting your Large construct someplace might make for a challenge that wouldn't be a problem with a medium-sized one).

8wGremlin
2017-01-10, 03:02 PM
Select a Large beast with a challenge rating of 2 or less. The servant uses that beast’s game statistics, but it can look however you like, as long as its form is appropriate for its statistics.

it uses the stats as is, full monster stats as the DM uses, it doesn't limit it in any way.

Dr.Samurai
2017-01-10, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure where you're taking "statistics" to mean one thing but not the other Temperjoke.

Temperjoke
2017-01-10, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure where you're taking "statistics" to mean one thing but not the other Temperjoke.

I'm interpreting it as "stats" and not "stat block" but it seems I'm the only one who's reading it this way. I'm just trying to be cautious and not getting too excited about it. I mean, there are arguments about flying as a racial ability being overpowered, and now this is a class that potentially has flying earlier than other classes.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-10, 03:43 PM
I'm interpreting it as "stats" and not "stat block" but it seems I'm the only one who's reading it this way. I'm just trying to be cautious and not getting too excited about it. I mean, there are arguments about flying as a racial ability being overpowered, and now this is a class that potentially has flying earlier than other classes.

Ignoring racial flight at level 1:
Arcane casters can choose the Fly spell at level 5.
Lore Bards can take Fly at level 6.
Artificers can choose a flying mech at level 6.
I'm not seeing the problem.

tieren
2017-01-10, 04:09 PM
I don't think the mech needs to scale. I don't believe the point is to become a permanent part of your fighting routine the way a beast conclave ranger's companion does.

You also need to consider it is potentially supplanting utility effects like find steed. Even once you level past the point where it is combat effective you can use it for transport or guarding the pack animals or unseen servant type stuff. Heck, even treating it like a large familiar could be cool.

I compared a beast conclave ranger's wolf companion with an artificer's dire wolf mech at level 6. even right at level 6 I would say they are about equal, the wolf companion has had an ASI and added 3 more hit dice. That means the wolf will have better AC (adding the ranger's proficiency), and if they spent the ASI in Con about equivalent Hp. Every level thereafter the ranger's companion pulls away, but it should, thats his whole shtick.

jas61292
2017-01-10, 05:21 PM
Ignoring racial flight at level 1:
Arcane casters can choose the Fly spell at level 5.
Lore Bards can take Fly at level 6.
Artificers can choose a flying mech at level 6.
I'm not seeing the problem.

There is a huge difference between short term magical flight that relies on concentration and at will, infinite, resource free flight. Regardless of what level it comes online. In general, a game of D&D is played out on a relatively 2 dimensional plane. Yeah, there may be elevation, but most stuff is on the ground, or at least within reach of it. Breaking out of the 2D mindset every once in a while is nice, but forcing the game to be constantly played in 3 dimensions all the time is a much bigger deal.

Larpus
2017-01-10, 07:40 PM
You can make it look like however you want... BUT, it still has the same land movement speed! (ie 0)

Same with the Octopus, after 30 mins it starts to drown in air, Construct doesn't prevent the need to breath.

Now that would be a depressing sight.

Good thing it can't speak to say something like "Why have you made me so, maker? Only to watch as I suffer while my brief existence reaches its twilight..."

Larpus
2017-01-10, 08:35 PM
I don't think the mech needs to scale. I don't believe the point is to become a permanent part of your fighting routine the way a beast conclave ranger's companion does.

You also need to consider it is potentially supplanting utility effects like find steed. Even once you level past the point where it is combat effective you can use it for transport or guarding the pack animals or unseen servant type stuff. Heck, even treating it like a large familiar could be cool.

I compared a beast conclave ranger's wolf companion with an artificer's dire wolf mech at level 6. even right at level 6 I would say they are about equal, the wolf companion has had an ASI and added 3 more hit dice. That means the wolf will have better AC (adding the ranger's proficiency), and if they spent the ASI in Con about equivalent Hp. Every level thereafter the ranger's companion pulls away, but it should, thats his whole shtick.
Some scalling would be nice, IMHO, at least regarding its survivability, but only for level 10+.

Unlike the Beast Master, I don't think there's any thematic dissonance to treat the servant as a literal meat shield (except it's not made of meat), having a large creature that you can position as you please without spending your actions is huge for battlefield strategy, bonus points if the DM doesn't say it promptly explodes any time it dies.

Dman
2017-01-10, 08:45 PM
Some scalling would be nice, IMHO, at least regarding its survivability, but only for level 10+.

Unlike the Beast Master, I don't think there's any thematic dissonance to treat the servant as a literal meat shield (except it's not made of meat), having a large creature that you can position as you please without spending your actions is huge for battlefield strategy, bonus points if the DM doesn't say it promptly explodes any time it dies.

for battles mostly outside sure but in a dungeon/lair its more than likely not following you

tkuremento
2017-01-10, 08:58 PM
I personally like the Sabre-Tooth Tiger but that is just me, probably :P Sure 14 Str DC won't stump a bunch of guys for that prone but I quite like it. Even without it has decent speed, HP, damage for its Claw, and is good for scent and stealth.

Zaq
2017-01-10, 09:48 PM

It has a land speed of 0, which is something we can buff. Just feed it the Swift Step Draught you get with your Alchemist's Satchel. 0 + 20 = 20. Fluff it as needing to constantly oil the damn thing.

8wGremlin
2017-01-10, 10:53 PM
It has a land speed of 0, which is something we can buff. Just feed it the Swift Step Draught you get with your Alchemist's Satchel. 0 + 20 = 20. Fluff it as needing to constantly oil the damn thing.
It will, however, start to drown in air, after some time. Construct doesn't stop the need to breathe it seems.

SharkForce
2017-01-10, 11:14 PM
It will, however, start to drown in air, after some time. Construct doesn't stop the need to breathe it seems.

well fortunately you can get a decanter of endless water :)

(as an added advantage, you may be able to also use it to create a rocket-propelled mechanical landshark :P )

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-11, 11:27 AM
There is a huge difference between short term magical flight that relies on concentration and at will, infinite, resource free flight. Regardless of what level it comes online. In general, a game of D&D is played out on a relatively 2 dimensional plane. Yeah, there may be elevation, but most stuff is on the ground, or at least within reach of it. Breaking out of the 2D mindset every once in a while is nice, but forcing the game to be constantly played in 3 dimensions all the time is a much bigger deal.

Any decent DM will have no problem creating/restricting combat encounters to either indoors, or in areas that flight is of lesser use (such as forests with tree cover, etc).
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Finback
2017-01-11, 10:12 PM
well fortunately you can get a decanter of endless water :)

(as an added advantage, you may be able to also use it to create a rocket-propelled mechanical landshark :P )

Someone say, robot landsharks? ;)

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/7/76/Overbiteg1toy.jpg

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/7/7e/G1Rippersnapper_toy.jpg

JakOfAllTirades
2017-01-12, 04:39 AM
Here's an interesting note about Infusions: any creature with an INT of 6 or more can use an Action to activate an infused item.

My question is: does this mean a Mechanical Servant with an INT of 6+ can use infused items?

If so, I've got a few ideas on how to (sort of) make a Mech Servant scale up a little better....

8wGremlin
2017-01-12, 12:57 PM
Here's an interesting note about Infusions: any creature with an INT of 6 or more can use an Action to activate an infused item.

My question is: does this mean a Mechanical Servant with an INT of 6+ can use infused items?

If so, I've got a few ideas on how to (sort of) make a Mech Servant scale up a little better....

Yes, they can, the giant eagle (Int of 8), giant owl (Int of 8), and giant vulture (Int of 6) have the requisite Intelligence.
Plus they use the STATs of the creature but could look like anything you want, including having arms and hands.

tkuremento
2017-01-12, 05:38 PM
Yes, they can, the giant eagle (Int of 8), giant owl (Int of 8), and giant vulture (Int of 6) have the requisite Intelligence.
Plus they use the STATs of the creature but could look like anything you want, including having arms and hands.

"as long as its form is appropriate for its statistics"
So sharks probably wouldn't have legs, for instance.

Temperjoke
2017-01-12, 06:18 PM
You know, Giant Lizard might be a really nice option for someone who wants utility over power. It can be used as a mount or draft animal (assuming you kept the same shape or similar), and if the DM lets you, can Hold Breath for 15 minutes with a swim speed of 30ft, and Spider Climb without an ability check (including upside down on ceilings). Sure it'd be way weaker in combat, but could you imagine your Artificer Gunsmith, armed with a Thunder Cannon (in my head it's shaped like a hand culverin or more along the lines of a polearm rather than a rifle) riding his giant lizard robot on the ceiling and shooting enemies from above?

Larpus
2017-01-12, 09:17 PM
Someone say, robot landsharks? ;)

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/7/76/Overbiteg1toy.jpg

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/7/7e/G1Rippersnapper_toy.jpg
Hahaha, nice catch!

I remembered Rippersnapper, but forgot completely about Overbite even though I used to have a bootleg of him as a kid.

"as long as its form is appropriate for its statistics"
So sharks probably wouldn't have legs, for instance.

Well, it's very up in the air, but I suppose they're mostly talking about making a bitey servant that has no mouth or an eagle one with no wings, it should make no difference if it has extraneous useless limbs.

tkuremento
2017-01-13, 01:10 AM
Well, it's very up in the air, but I suppose they're mostly talking about making a bitey servant that has no mouth or an eagle one with no wings, it should make no difference if it has extraneous useless limbs.

I'd accept tiny little tripod legs that magically gain 20ft movement when using your movement draught thing on it :P

Regitnui
2017-01-13, 01:26 AM
I'd accept tiny little tripod legs that magically gain 20ft movement when using your movement draught thing on it :P

I thought the shark would just start flapping its little fins really hard.

Temperjoke
2017-01-13, 01:31 AM
Ooh, what about a Giant Toad? It's amphibious so it can breathe on both land and underwater. It's also got Swallow, which if we can adjust it to remove the acid, would totally allow you to use it like a submarine, especially if you put a window in it's belly!

EDIT: What are the rules for how many characters a mount can carry at once? Volo's has a Ox variant of the Cow, which is large and has a special tag of Beast of Burden.

Beast of Burden. The oxen is considered to be a Huge animal
for the purpose of determining its carrying capacity.

Finback
2017-01-13, 02:51 AM

Aaaand all I can imagine now is this monstrosity.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/QOCMv3AKI9NYMtAzAPIze5z7XaN-PXFKHOmllWyrJa_QdWugBXprVFwegbT-C51VBRk1jQk5Xq8htLjda6zOauxUYPB50gXiEuh2dyudwXiWxu Z8DQWRILuYWYSynI3P=s1600

Ferrell
2017-01-13, 02:40 PM
I don't know if this would be considered RAW and may need DM's approval but I was looking through Storm King's Thunder and I happened across some Ice Spiders:

Pg. 127
Ice Spider
Use the giant spider statistics, with the following changes:

Ice spiders have resistance to cold damage.
While restrained in an ice spider's web, a creature takes 1 cold damage at the start of each of its turns.
The web lacks immunity to bludgeoning damage.

Pg. 128
Ice spider queen, a giant spider with the following changes:

It has 44 hit points and a challenge rating of 2 (450XP).
It has resistance to cold damage.
Any creature that starts its turn within 5 feet of the queen takes 5 (2d4) cold damage.
While restrained in the ice spider queen's web, a creature takes 2 (ld4) cold damage at the start of each of its turns. Ice spider webbing doesn't have immunity to bludgeoning damage.

Maxilian
2017-01-13, 02:54 PM
I don't know if this would be considered RAW and may need DM's approval but I was looking through Storm King's Thunder and I happened across some Ice Spiders:

Pg. 127
Ice Spider
Use the giant spider statistics, with the following changes:

Ice spiders have resistance to cold damage.
While restrained in an ice spider's web, a creature takes 1 cold damage at the start of each of its turns.
The web lacks immunity to bludgeoning damage.

This is quite nice

Pg. 128
Ice spider queen, a giant spider with the following changes:

It has 44 hit points and a challenge rating of 2 (450XP).
It has resistance to cold damage.
Any creature that starts its turn within 5 feet of the queen takes 5 (2d4) cold damage.
While restrained in the ice spider queen's web, a creature takes 2 (ld4) cold damage at the start of each of its turns. Ice spider webbing doesn't have immunity to bludgeoning damage.

Well having in mind that it damage all creatures, including you....

But IMHO i think adventurer based creatures won't normally be an option (Though as a DM i could allow those as rewards, maybe they could find another Artificer plans for the creation of such construct)

Maxilian
2017-01-13, 06:09 PM
There's another creature that you're missing

Crag Cat from Storm King Thunders CR 1

The interesting thing is that it have:

Non-detection, Pounce DC 13 and Spell Turning (7th lvl lower spell that only target the cat and the cat passes the save, the spell is redirected to the caster)

8wGremlin
2017-01-13, 06:22 PM
There's another creature that you're missing

Crag Cat from Storm King Thunders CR 1

The interesting thing is that it have:

Non-detection, Pounce DC 13 and Spell Turning (7th lvl lower spell that only target the cat and the cat passes the save, the spell is redirected to the caster)

Thanks, we already added it - see above.
but thank you!

Finback
2017-01-15, 08:55 AM
If anyone's wanting to know what other options, Tome of Beasts offers:

War Ostrich
Zanskaran Viper
Giant Ant

8wGremlin
2017-01-15, 12:53 PM
If anyone's wanting to know what other options, Tome of Beasts offers:

War Ostrich
Zanskaran Viper
Giant Ant

I'll add them as a 3rd party option. when I get some time.
Could you give me the very basics of them so I can add them to the spreadsheet?
Thank you!

Finback
2017-01-15, 09:33 PM
I'll add them as a 3rd party option. when I get some time.
Could you give me the very basics of them so I can add them to the spreadsheet?
Thank you!

I'll work on getting them for you once I can get to my desk (stuck at work now, and have a game straight after work!) But should have them for you within about 24 hours.

Temperjoke
2017-01-15, 10:41 PM
Ooh, what about a Giant Toad? It's amphibious so it can breathe on both land and underwater. It's also got Swallow, which if we can adjust it to remove the acid, would totally allow you to use it like a submarine, especially if you put a window in it's belly!

EDIT: What are the rules for how many characters a mount can carry at once? Volo's has a Ox variant of the Cow, which is large and has a special tag of Beast of Burden.

Beast of Burden. The oxen is considered to be a Huge animal
for the purpose of determining its carrying capacity.

*installs a battery of cannons on his construct*

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/zoids/images/e/e1/Dibisons.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080825020321

8wGremlin
2017-01-15, 10:53 PM
Goblin Constructs?
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/a/ad/Deff_dread.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110302193120

you can ride on top, or hide inside!

Finback
2017-01-16, 02:24 AM
*installs a battery of cannons on his construct*

Oh man, now I'm gonna make an Allosaurus into a Berserk Fury.

Maxilian
2017-01-16, 09:36 AM
I really like the idea of a Stench Kow, ****ty HP (15), a nice couple of resistance (fire, cold and poison resistance), Darkvision and it have the stench ability (creatures at 5 feet, got a Con DC 12 or get the poison condition until next turn), if the DM allow me to create a PERIAPT OF PROOF AGAINST POISON i would totally use this as my mech :P

Temperjoke
2017-01-16, 11:28 AM
Oh man, now I'm gonna make an Allosaurus into a Berserk Fury.

The fact that they don't have weapons built into their stat block is totally fixed by us controlling the weapons while riding on/in them!

Finback
2017-01-19, 07:52 AM
My apologies for the delay - been dealing with a credit card scam, and checking my machine for any potential keyloggers. Still not out of the woods yet, sadly :/

Anyway

Zanskaran Viper
Large beast, unaligned
AC 14 (natural)
HP 38/4d10+16
Spd 30', cllimb 10', swim 30'
Str 12 Dex 11 Con 18 Int 2 Wis 13 Cha 2
Darkvision 60', pass. Perception 11
CR 1

Bite (melee weapon) +3 to hit, reach 5', one target
Hit 10(2d8+1) piercing, and target must make a successful DC 14 Con save or become poisoned. While poisoned this way, target is blind and takes 7/2d6 poison damage at start of each of its turns. CAn repeate save at end of each turn, ending the effect on success.

WAR OSTRICH*
Large beast, unaligned
AC 11
HP 42/5d10+15
Spd 60'
Str 15 Dex 12Con 16 Int 2 Wis 10 Cha 5
PAss. Perception 10
CR 1/2

Standing Leap
Can jump horizontally up to 20', vertically up to 10', with or without running start
Battle Leaper
If riderless jumps at least 10' and lands within 5' of a creature, it has advantage on attacks against that creature this turn

Multiattack - makes two kicking claw attacks
Claw (Melee weapon attack) +4 to hit, reach 5', one target
Hit 6 (1d8+2) bludgeoning

Giant Ant
Large beast, unaligned
AC 14 (natural armour)
HP 52 (7d10+14)
Spd 40'
Str 15 Dex 13 Con Int 1 Wis 9 Cha 2
Blindsight 60', pass Perception 9
CR 2
Keen Smell - advantage on Wisdom(Perception) checks relying on smell
Multiattack - one bite, one sting
Bite (melee weapon attack) +4 to hit, reach 5', one target
Hit: 6 (1d8+2) bludgeoning and target is grappled (escape DC 12). Until this grapple ends, target is restrained and giant ant can't bite another target.
Sting (Melee weapon attack) +4 to hit, reach 5', one target
Hit 6 (1d8+2) piercing plus 22/4d10 poison damage, or half as much poison damage on a successful DC 12 Con save.

* The best. I am totally just calling it a cassowary though. Or should I say, CASSOWARRIOR.

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-19, 08:44 AM

Yep. UA oversight.
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/820331997704769536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

@JeremyECrawford @mikemearls In the new UA Artificer it states select a "Large" beast for Mechanical Servant, can you take a Medium instead?
@MerlanMichael @JeremyECrawford yes, Large size should be limit rather than only option #wotcstaff
So that list just got a whole lot bigger.

Maxilian
2017-01-19, 12:00 PM
So that list just got a whole lot bigger.

Yep it did, here a list of the added beasts (Only MM):

Frog CR 0 -Speed 20, Swim 20, Darkvision 30, Amphibious, Standing Leap -Tiny
Giant Badger CR 1/4 -Darkvision 30, Keen Smell, Multiattack -Medium
Giant Centipede CR 1/4 -Climb 30, Blindsight 30 -Small
Giant Crab CR 1/8 -Swimming 30, Amphibious, Blindsight 30 -Medium
Giant Frog CR 1/4 -Swimming 30, Darkvision 30, Amphibious, Standing Leap, Swallow -Medium
Giant Fire Beetle CR 0- Blindsight 30, Illumination 10 -Small
Giant Rat CR 1/8 -Darkvision 60, Keen Smell, Pact Tactics -Small
Diseased Giant Rat CR 1/8 -Darkvision 60, Keen Smell, Pact Tactics, DC 10 Disease -small
Giant Poisonous Snake CR 1/4, Blindsight 10 -Medium
Giant Wasp CR 1/2 -Fly 50 -Medium
Giant Weasel CR 1/8 -Keen Hearing and Smell -Medium
Giant Wolf Spider CR 1/4 -Blindsight 10, Darkvision 60, Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker -Medium
Goat CR 0 -Charge, Sure-footed -Medium
Hawk CR 0 -Fly 60, Keen Sight -Tiny
Hyena CR 0 -Speed 50, Pack Tactics -Medium
Jackal CR 0 -Speed 40, Keen Hearing and Smell, Pack Tactics -Small
Lizard CR 0 -Climb 20 -Tiny
Mastiff CR 1/8 -Speed 40, Keen Hearing and Smell -Medium
Mule CR 1/8 -Speed 40, Beast of Burden, Sure-Footed -Medium
Owl CR 0 -Fly 60, Flyby, Keen Hearing and Sight -Tiny
Octopus CR 0 -Swim 30, Darkvision 30, Hold Breath, Underwater Camouflage, Water Breathing, Ink Cloud -Small
Panther CR 1/4 -Speed 50, Climb 40, Keen Smell, Pounce DC 12 -Medium
Poisonous Snake CR 1/8 -Swim 30, DC 10 poison -Tiny
Pony CR 1/8 -Speed 40 -Medium
Raven CR 0 -Fly 50, Mimicry DC 10 -Tiny
Quipper CR 0 -Swim 40, Blood Frenzy, Water Breathing -Tiny
Rat CR 0 -Speed 20, Darkvision, Keen Smell -Tiny
Reef Shark CR 1/2 -Swim 40, Blindsight 30, Pack Tactics, Water Breathing -Medium
Scorpion -Speed 10, Blindsight 10, Sting DC 9 -Tiny
Sea Horse -Swim 20, Water Breathing -Tiny
Spider -Speed 20, Climb 20, Darkvision 30, Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker -Tiny
Vulture -Fly 50, Keen Sight and Smell, Pack Tactics -Medium
Weasel -Keen Hearing and Smell -Tiny
Wolf -Speed 40, Keen Hearing and Smell, Pack Tactics -Medium

CursedRhubarb
2017-01-19, 02:58 PM
I think we are missing a very important question here about the constructs.

If you have a group of 5 artificers and each one has a Lion construct, do they gain the ability to use their turn to combine into an Iron Golem, but increased to Huge in size?

Finback
2017-01-19, 09:43 PM
I think we are missing a very important question here about the constructs.

If you have a group of 5 artificers and each one has a Lion construct, do they gain the ability to use their turn to combine into an Iron Golem, but increased to Huge in size?

Just lions might be limiting - how about a lion, a tiger, a rhino, a buffalo, and a hawk? ;)

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/b/b5/Platinum-Edition-Predaking.jpg

JoeJ
2017-01-19, 11:09 PM
Just lions might be limiting - how about a lion, a tiger, a rhino, a buffalo, and a hawk? ;)

Or a tyrannosaurus, triceratops, mastodon, sabre-toothed tiger, and pterodactyl?

Larpus
2017-01-20, 09:43 PM
Or a tyrannosaurus, triceratops, mastodon, sabre-toothed tiger, and pterodactyl?

People, we're getting sidetracked here, the real question is whether five is enough to glue together to make a giant super golem and understand how it feels like to be in love (https://youtu.be/ADdXDIQQgeA).

Sigreid
2017-01-21, 12:53 AM

It seems someone hasn't watched enough Voltron.

Temperjoke
2017-01-21, 01:37 AM

No, no, let's hear him/her out...

Sigreid
2017-01-21, 05:16 PM
So, if Medium is allowed then I think gorilla is hands down the best option, having hands greatly expands what you can make it do for you.

Finback
2017-01-23, 12:13 AM

Depends on *which* Voltron, since there were two I grew up on.

(I'm au fait with Voltron, but c'mon, PREDAKING. )

Temperjoke
2017-01-23, 12:25 AM
You know, if you can add stuff to your construct that doesn't impose extra ability requirements, your options are only limited to it's carrying capacity. You could turn it into a moving house, for example. After all, it can be any shape as long as it works with the stat block you use. I was half-joking earlier about the cannons, but as written you feasibly could, it couldn't fire on it's own, but you could control the weapon on it. You could attach several portable holes on the inside of it and hold all your stuff.

8wGremlin
2017-01-23, 01:34 PM
Sheet updated with < large creatures from the Monster Manual

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XBRRYvmE6t_XA2ICfC5v15a8cNEOix5vnuzFa-mNapY/edit?usp=sharing