PDA

View Full Version : You rolled all 3's for stats: What is your build?

Spectre9000
2017-01-09, 08:05 PM
As the title says. You did 4d6 drop lowest, but still came up with a 3 for every stat. What build would you make with this?

I think a Wizard, not doing any spells with saves or attack rolls. I don't know what would happen though with a -4 Constitution modifier and a D6 hit die.

A moon druid constantly wildshaped might be decent.

Nifft
2017-01-09, 08:39 PM
Race: Human (not variant).

"I don't need class features or proficiency in anything, I'll just go with straight-up stats rolls until I die."

Then, make sure to die fast.

Same reason I avoid eating foods that I like when I expect the risk of nausea.

Who would want to ruin the experience of actually playing a fun, well-designed class?

Flashy
2017-01-09, 08:42 PM
Beastmaster Ranger. I'm not playing the Ranger, I'm playing a wolf who slaved a totally sub-par character to himself as a power source.

Naanomi
2017-01-09, 08:45 PM
Variant Human moon druid who spends every ASI on combat feats... the baddest ass bear (later, Elemental) you'd ever face

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 08:52 PM
A new stat roll. No DM I know would force you to play with stats THAT TERRIBLE.

The Cats
2017-01-09, 09:15 PM
A new stat roll. No DM I know would force you to play with stats THAT TERRIBLE.

So I just had this great idea for Nanase. I think it'll really let you stretch your role playing muscles. It'll be great, trust me.

JNAProductions
2017-01-09, 09:22 PM
So I just had this great idea for Nanase. I think it'll really let you stretch your role playing muscles. It'll be great, trust me.

*Sprays The Cats with a water bottle*

BAD DM! BAD! :P

Malifice
2017-01-09, 09:25 PM
Race: Human (not variant).

"I don't need class features or proficiency in anything, I'll just go with straight-up stats rolls until I die."

Then, make sure to die fast.

Same reason I avoid eating foods that I like when I expect the risk of nausea.

Who would want to ruin the experience of actually playing a fun, well-designed class?

This is why I dont make players roll stats as DM.

EvilAnagram
2017-01-09, 09:32 PM
I'd be a bard in a wheelchair.

I wouldn't be able to play well, but I would roll into a tavern, slowly. I would ask if I could play music, and I would fail the check. I would fail it badly, but the barkeep would feel too awkward to deny me outright. He would dance around saying no, brushing up against it, and he wouldn't have the heart to stop me when I start playing. I would play so, so badly. The cadence would be off, and no one would enjoy it. Everyone would try to ignore me, but I would keep playing until no one in the tavern felt comfortable. I would not leave, and no one would force me to leave because I would be too sad, too genuine. So they would let me keep playing. And the party would try to do things, but I would pool out the banjo I borrowed from my brother and play it. Badly. And stare at them. And no one would want to play. I would talk like Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle, and when someone finally broke and told me to stop I would say:

Wait. I'm on. A roll.

And that's when the DM sets everything on fire.

Potato_Priest
2017-01-09, 09:54 PM
Variant Human moon druid who spends every ASI on combat feats... the baddest ass bear (later, Elemental) you'd ever face

Too bad you'd have to keep your mental stats though. I can just hear it now;
Come on, why can't I use the Wolf's intelligence score?

Zene
2017-01-09, 09:55 PM
First of all, go kobold. (You'd have a 1 for strength!)

Then if I actually wanted to play: Class would be moon druid. With conjure animals and conjure woodland beings. I'd still be the most op character at the table most days. As earlier poster said, no point in ASI's, so that'd free me up to take Lucky, Mage Slayer, Sentinel, Magic Initiate (for the familiar)/Alert, Warcaster.

It'd actually be kinda fun to play.

Zene
2017-01-09, 09:59 PM
And I'd pray the team provided good healing, because I'd fall for every trick the enemy had, and every conversation I had with an npc would likely quickly turn to them wanting to kill me.

Naanomi
2017-01-09, 10:15 PM
Yeah probably the biggest downside would be your abysmal saving throws... your badass Air Elemental flying death machine would be easily dominated, fall for every illusion, frequently be banished...

Tanarii
2017-01-09, 10:22 PM
I'd toss the character and go buy a bunch of lottery tickets. If one in 3.8 million can happen for me once, why not see how far I can stretch my luck. :smallyuk:

Lonely Tylenol
2017-01-09, 10:25 PM
Ah jeez... Rogue 1/GOO Tomelock 3/Knowledge Cleric 1/Bard 1, in no particular order, and from there. Jealously hoard proficiencies and expertises in non-combat skills, use Guidance religiously, Bless (and Bardic Inspiration in a pinch) to be relevant to your teammates, be paranoid and superstitious, just try not to die. If you live long enough, you'll be a semi-competent skill monkey, long after you should have been, but eventually.

EDIT: Making mistakes EVERYWHERE

Naanomi
2017-01-09, 10:47 PM
Ah jeez... Rogue 1/GOO Tomelock 3/Knowledge Cleric 1/Bard 1, in no particular order, and from there. Jealously hoard proficiencies and expertises in non-combat skills, use Guidance religiously, Bless (and Bardic Inspiration in a pinch) to be relevant to your teammates, be paranoid and superstitious, just try not to die. If you live long enough, you'll be a semi-competent skill monkey, long after you should have been, but eventually.
Sorry, you don't meet the multiclassing requirements

pwykersotz
2017-01-09, 10:50 PM
Multiclassing is tough with those low stats, Lonely Tylenol. :smalltongue:

This just screams Pact of the Chain Fiendlock all the way.

Decrepit and crippled, having sacrificed everything you once were to the dark powers you serve, you have been blessed at last with a modicum of eldritch power. A demonic spirit will be your guide and servant, taking you to new and terrible heights. But while you commit all other sins, hubris shall not be one of them, for it takes but one blade to end your pathetic life. Do not think for yourself, for you are an idiot and a fool. Do not act for yourself for you are weak. Depend on the guidance given to you and you shall be the perfect tool of the dark powers.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-01-09, 11:01 PM
Sorry, you don't meet the multiclassing requirements

D'arvit, that's right, multiclass restrictions...

GOO Tomelock Vuman with Magic Initiate (Bless/Guidance/etc) and Actor as feats. Use your telepathy and the Actor feat to communicate ideas between party members through mimicry (you certainly can't communicate your own ideas), and be a buff bot with Bless and Guidance to BS rolls by both yourself and the party. Take the skill proficiency invocations so you eventually scale into having some skills with positive modifiers.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-01-10, 02:05 AM
I'd ask my DM if I could play a monstrous PC race, like maybe a Green Slime.

I'd take the Noble background, because having all 3's would make me a paragon among the Green Slime species.

And I'd totally take a level in Rogue, cuz Expertise would almost cancel out the negative ability modifier on a couple of my greenish slimy skillz.

What, you expected a serious answer to a question like THAT?

NRSASD
2017-01-10, 03:18 AM
In 2nd edition I actually played a character with a 3 str and a 4 con. She had a 20 wisdom though (normal max is 18, max possible is 25) thanks to some magic, and was our quadriplegic cleric. The party carried her around on a sedan chair and used her a bit like the Ark of the Covenant. Ie, present her to the enemies and laugh as they get torn apart by lightning and divine wrath. She survived a surprisingly long time, all things considered.

xyianth
2017-01-10, 05:44 AM
I actually posed this thought experiment back when the PHB first released. What I thought up was:

variant human(+1 wis/con) beastmaster ranger 20 using defense style, magic initiate(cleric: guidance, resistance, sanctuary), a chain shirt, and a shield. Switch to a breastplate when you can afford it. Use all ASIs to boost con. You 'fight' by using guidance on a hard hitting party member. When you encounter a creature with nasty save inducing abilities, switch to resistance. Once you gain an animal companion, trade all your attack actions to allow your companion to attack. In emergencies, use sanctuary to add an extra DC 7-11 check to be able to hit you.

Hrugner
2017-01-10, 07:39 AM
I agree with those going moon druid. RP the character as an animal who, quite unfortunately, transforms into a human for a good amount of the day. A wildmagic sorcerer would be fun to though, you're pretty much just a bomb in a box that could go off at any moment.

jaappleton
2017-01-10, 07:46 AM
Wizard. Spells like Shield and Sleep don't require any sort of roll or save DC, and can contribute quite a bit.

Hrugner
2017-01-10, 07:55 AM
Wizard. Spells like Shield and Sleep don't require any sort of roll or save DC, and can contribute quite a bit.

The only problem with that is the preperation limit. your intelligence + wizard level is going to leave you with the "minimum one" spell prepared for awhile. Probably the rest of your life.

jaappleton
2017-01-10, 08:53 AM
The only problem with that is the preperation limit. your intelligence + wizard level is going to leave you with the "minimum one" spell prepared for awhile. Probably the rest of your life.

A very short, brutal, grueling life.

Beechgnome
2017-01-10, 09:04 AM
If I'm committed to keeping 3s or 4s for as long as possible I would be a Fey Warlock, Variant human and take the toughness feat to start, plus make Cha and Con 4. So 7 hp at first level and 4 each level thereafter.

Hyrsam, prince of fools, seems an appropriate patron; let's just say he took pity on me, and told me to go make others feel as weak as I do. Armor of Agathys will help keep me alive, and Sleep (to later swap with Hex) provide no save ways of weakening bad guys, and I'd probably take unseen servant, because lifting things is hard.

Invocations at 2nd level would be devil's sight and silent image, and just hope no one is inspecting that barrel I'm hiding behind too closely. I know taking invocations that use a spell slot is frowned upon, but I'd probably take Thief of Five Fates anyway at 5th level (or maybe instead of Silent image), because it scales and so few creatures have good Charisma saving throws anyway. A nice way to tip the tides in my party's favour.

Assuming this guy makes it to 3rd level, I'd get either the Pact of the Tome so I can become the party's Ritual monkey (and get Tenser's Floating Disk to carry my stuff), or Pact of the Chain, so I could have a Boggle, because Boggles are awesome. (If my DM would let me).

And of course I'd take Darkness to go with my Devil's sight and level the playing field.

Other option: Sorcerer with subtle spell, and play the entire game as if you can't actually help, all the while casting non-save spells: making smoky pyrotechnics or levitating a bench to drop on someone's head.

Knaight
2017-01-10, 09:05 AM
I agree with those going moon druid. RP the character as an animal who, quite unfortunately, transforms into a human for a good amount of the day.

This is what I was thinking - you're actually an animal, you're cursed to become a human (non-variant, +1 to every stat when every stat is odd is worth something), and you're learning to resist your curse and also to change into other animals. The atrocious mental stats are there because you're an animal, the atrocious physical stats are there because of the curse - although the dexterity could easily be you failing at controlling a human body, and being generally awkward because of trying to do things like digitigrade walking. A bird could be particularly fun - the digitigrade walking is there, there's attempts to grasp with the foot that are doomed to fail, there's weird muscle spasms that would work to fluff out a bunch of feathers (but there aren't any), there's instinctive flapping in response to danger that does nothing, there's bird eating behavior. As a human you'll come across as deeply dysfunctional, and given the stats in question that makes a lot of sense.

MrStabby
2017-01-10, 09:33 AM
Don't you pick class first then roll?

M Placeholder
2017-01-10, 09:38 AM

This just screams Pact of the Chain Fiendlock all the way.

Decrepit and crippled, having sacrificed everything you once were to the dark powers you serve, you have been blessed at last with a modicum of eldritch power. A demonic spirit will be your guide and servant, taking you to new and terrible heights. But while you commit all other sins, hubris shall not be one of them, for it takes but one blade to end your pathetic life. Do not think for yourself, for you are an idiot and a fool. Do not act for yourself for you are weak. Depend on the guidance given to you and you shall be the perfect tool of the dark powers.

Considering how useless you will be, why the hell would a dark power hand power to you when you will have zero idea of how to use it? Thats not a winning bet.

Unless having the demonic spirit carry your ass is a punishment. And it would be a pretty cruel one.

Shining Wrath
2017-01-10, 09:51 AM
Life Cleric. Beg the DM for mithril armor, which requires no STR requirement to wear. Then whine.

You stay in the back row, cast Bless, and then take the Dodge action every round. If someone goes down you bring them back up. Otherwise, you are an out-of-combat Healbot.

Tanarii
2017-01-10, 10:14 AM
Don't you pick class first then roll?Race too, if you're taking the PHB order as the order of operations.

OTOH when I'm ******* around with theoretical characters, I find it the most fun to pick a race, roll ability scores in order, then try to figure out what class / background you'll play based on what you rolled. I've gotten a few interesting henchmen for players that way.

pwykersotz
2017-01-10, 10:19 AM
Considering how useless you will be, why the hell would a dark power hand power to you when you will have zero idea of how to use it? Thats not a winning bet.

Unless having the demonic spirit carry your ass is a punishment. And it would be a pretty cruel one.

Except a) You can use the power because stats of a certain level are not required to use your class features, and b) you're a tool, not an agent. You don't want the tool getting uppity ideas.

I'm not sure you and I have similar ideas of what 'useless' means. Stats are only one part of the game, and they're not even the most important part.

Tanarii
2017-01-10, 10:29 AM
One thing that occurs to me is that it'd be worth considering a default human, to bring all your ability checks to -3 instead of -4. Maybe a Bard, so you get another +1-+3 to all checks from JoaT? Bards have enough useful non-save spells that they might actually be useful out of combat. Of course, trying to mitigate your weak spot(s) may not be the best route to go in this case ... even at high level you're going to do everything you can to avoid making any checks at all.

Except a) You can use the power because stats of a certain level are not required to use your class features, and b) you're a tool, not an agent. You don't want the tool getting uppity ideas.

I'm not sure you and I have similar ideas of what 'useless' means. Stats are only one part of the game, and they're not even the most important part.Other than class features, stats of 3 mean -4 to checks instead of -1 to +2, for the default array before racials. So mechanically, a penalty of 15%-30%. (Note that relative chance of success, and achievable threshhold DCs, are a different matter. Since someone always brings that up.)

Edit: I'm agreeing with you that a 3 doesn't mean useless at related checks ... just really poor. OTOH IMX ability scores are close to THE most important part of 5e. But YMMV depending on how often ability checks are made. (And hopefully all for things with meaningful consequences for failure).

Naanomi
2017-01-10, 10:33 AM
HP will be an issue if going Warlock or bard (or anything)

Tanarii
2017-01-10, 10:37 AM
HP will be an issue if going Warlock or bard (or anything)
Roll. If you take the PHB 'average', you end up with 1 hp / level. If you roll you have a 3/8 chance of ending up with a 2 thru 4. So an average of 1.75.

This applies even for d10 (2 vs 2.5 avg) & d12 (3 vs 3.33) classes.

XmonkTad
2017-01-10, 10:45 AM
I'd go halfling wild sorcerer. I'd take magic missile and quicken it as much as possible. With my action, I'd set up caltrops all over the battlefield. I'd hope for a wild Magic surge to either kill my opponent or me.

RulesJD
2017-01-10, 10:55 AM
1. Moon Druid for all of the obvious reasons.

2. Surprisingly, the next best pick is V.Human Life Cleric.

First, you want to pick Resiliency (Con) to shore up your Con mod to only be -3 and get proficiency in the saves for those Concentration Saves you'll be making. You need at least 4+ Con and a d8+ hit die class to make leveling up give any sort of max health bonus.

Now, why Life Cleric?

You get access to Heavy Armor to ignore the -3/-4 Dex modifier to AC. Ring Mail doesn't have a Strength requirement (AC 14) and you can equip a shield (+2 AC) for a total of 16 AC at level 1. That's pretty damn respectable. Moreover, if you find an item that sets your Strength at a particular value (Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, etc) you can now wear Plate Armor without a penalty.

Most spell casting classes (Moon Druid included) will have, at most, 1 spell prepared per day. However, Life Cleric gets 3 spells per day from level 1 because their Domain Spells are always prepared. That's a HUGE advantage, especially because the Life Cleric spells are all pretty solid. You can swap out which other 1st level spell to prepare each day, which gives you variety the Arcane casters can't match. Obviously Bless will be the go to choice at level 1, but maybe Prot. Evil or Shield of Faith.

Next, the Cleric spell list is one of the best lists for not relying on stats. Bless, Prot. Evil, Shield of Faith, Aid (to make up for those terrible max HP), and, the coup de grace, Spirit Guardians. Even with your spell save DC being terrible, SG puts out enough consistent damage that all you need to do is Cast and then Dodge each turn to be damn effective in combat while still surviving a decent amount of time.

Next, almost none of the other classes (besides Druid with Goodberries) will actually be able to use their healing spells. Why? Because the healing spells (Cure Wounds, Healing Word, etc) don't have the "minimum of 1 healing" language. Which means you're knocking off -3 from each heal, which is larger or damn near larger than the average healing from Healing Word and Cure wounds. BUT, Life Clerics add 2+ Spell level to each heal, which cancels out that penalty starting at level 1.

Lastly, none of the Life Cleric's features depend on their Wisdom score. Channel Divinity = set amount of healing, regardless of stats. AND it recharges on a short rest, so it's fairly reusable. Same for their level 6 ability, etc.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-01-10, 02:47 PM

Precisely because you will have zero idea of how to use it. If I was the greatest con artist in the multiverse, you can bet that I would be plying my wares to incompetent rubes wherever possible: they have no concept of the power's actual value or its effectiveness, so you can upsell them easily, and get them to go all-in on the cheap. Easiest sale ever.

Harrumphreys
2017-01-10, 05:55 PM
Some sort of Moon Druid Revenant, probably.

Try to spend as much time in wildshape feigning competence, and when death inevitably occurs in my humanoid form I return to life 24hrs later thanks to my Relentless Nature.

Revenant Druid: "Oh, Long Rests just don't cut it for me any more. For a truly great snooze I like to kill myself each and every night, and get some proper down time. Anyway, see you in 24hrs...URRRK"

M Placeholder
2017-01-10, 06:15 PM

Considering the tools intelligence and wisdom scores, him having any ideas would be a suprise. And if I'm an eldritch abomination that is seeking to increase my influence across the mortal realm, why would I chose someone to give my precious power to someone that cannot speak, can barely talk and has such low charisma nobody will listen to him anyway?

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-10, 08:51 PM
Honestly i think with those stats i'm not sure your character is capable of affecting the material plane in any meaningful way

Knaight
2017-01-10, 08:59 PM
Honestly i think with those stats i'm not sure your character is capable of affecting the material plane in any meaningful way

With nonvariant human, that's a -3 to all rolls. Given proficiency you're almost as good as getting things done in proficiency as the nonproficient average right off the bat, and get up to par in just a few levels.

Tanarii
2017-01-10, 09:17 PM
With nonvariant human, that's a -3 to all rolls. Given proficiency you're almost as good as getting things done in proficiency as the nonproficient average right off the bat, and get up to par in just a few levels.
Yah people do have a tendency to take their interpretations of ability scores that mechanically just providing a -3 to checks to an extreme.

I mean, as I've said before, even if you line up the 3d6 bell curve with IQ bell curve, you still end up with IQ 55. From what I can find at a glance, that's near the top end of a moderate learning disability, or bottom end of a mild one. (I have no idea how that plays out since I don't know anyone with a significant learning disability. But I imagine communicating is possible. Although obvious poorly and with low awareness of others & their environment ... because also Wis & Cha 4 (assuming default human).

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-10, 09:33 PM
... wait so i could start as a wizard with 1 hp?

statistically i imagine those stats are like having 6 different severe disabilities at once
if you were a beast you could get awaken cast on you

Hrugner
2017-01-10, 10:16 PM
Yah people do have a tendency to take their interpretations of ability scores that mechanically just providing a -3 to checks to an extreme.

I mean, as I've said before, even if you line up the 3d6 bell curve with IQ bell curve, you still end up with IQ 55. From what I can find at a glance, that's near the top end of a moderate learning disability, or bottom end of a mild one. (I have no idea how that plays out since I don't know anyone with a significant learning disability. But I imagine communicating is possible. Although obvious poorly and with low awareness of others & their environment ... because also Wis & Cha 4 (assuming default human).

55 is the range where you never expect a novel solution to a problem. They also won't restructure an idea to make it more efficient to access if they need to use that idea repeatedly. Someone in the 50-69 range can be trained to do a task, but won't be able to handle variation in the task such as autonomous error correction and what not, but can do the task as assigned. They will also be unable to use language in a unique way, often relying on rote statements and remembered conversations. They also tend to lack a sense of humor. 69 is the lowest score given by many of the more common IQ tests. An IQ of 70 will let you learn up to a 6th grade level in math, speech, and social skills.

55 is pretty bad. A -3 isn't as bad as an actual IQ of 55, such a character should have an inability to make certain skill checks.

asmartfellow
2017-01-10, 10:20 PM
World's Worst Rogue. Likely a Halfling.

Tanarii
2017-01-10, 10:34 PM
55 is pretty bad. A -3 isn't as bad as an actual IQ of 55, such a character should have an inability to make certain skill checks.
Thanks for the extended explanation.

IQ 70 lines up with Int 4 or 5, which is the -3 penalty, if you match the 3d6 and IQ bell curves. IQ 55 would correspond to the -4 penalty. Of course, the bonus/penalty is linear whereas IRL functionality of memory and mental acuity very well may not be. (Note, I'm going purely off what I can find online for the bell curves, obviously I'm not a knowledgeable specialist)

I think the real issue here is we aren't just talking about a character with a very low mental acuity & memorization ability. They've also got rock-bottom Wis for horrible awareness & attunement with the world around them, and terrible Cha for very bad personal interaction skills. Not to mention bad saves (ie easily mental controlled).

Mellack
2017-01-10, 10:51 PM
To give some comparisons of what the 3-4 stat range is:

The Int of a zombie, but not as charismatic as one.
The charimsa of a rat.
The strength of a housecat or owl.
The Dex of a gelatinous cube (the other oozes are more dexterous than you).
I cannot find any comparable wisdom, as even oozes and mindless undead have more.
You would appear to have the lowest constitution of any creature.

Dr. Cliché
2017-01-11, 06:36 AM
Beast Master Ranger, with a small dog as my animal companion. All I need is for someone to cast Awaken on the dog (which will be called Gaspode), and I can play Foul Ole Ron (http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Foul_Ole_Ron).

Tanarii
2017-01-11, 10:38 AM
The Int of a zombie, not not as charismatic as one.
The charimsa of a rat.
The strength of a housecat or owl.
The Dex of a gelatinous cube (the other oozes are more dexterous than you).

Hahahaha I'm dying over here this character sounds like an anti-Superman.

Spectre9000
2017-01-11, 11:39 AM
Hahahaha I'm dying over here this character sounds like an anti-Superman.

He makes a wish that Superman becomes encased in 25k gp of Kryptonite. Superman dies. A David vs Goliath story for the ages.

N810
2017-01-11, 11:52 AM
Soooo I'm thinking Suicide Boomer, :smalleek:
Just strap on the alchemist fire jars and toss me at the enemies.

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-11, 03:46 PM
Build name:sensual massager
function: heal people by punching
class: fighter
archetype: not champion
race: something without a str bonus(str penalty would be ideal)
wear ring mail(best armor rating possible)
since unarmed damage is 1+str you would do -2 damage each attack:smalltongue:
take any archtype beside champion
pummel your allies until they are fully healed
use twf style + feat to get more punches
dump like everythig else
then just punch the **** into everyone

Tanarii
2017-01-11, 03:49 PM
How much does ring mail weight again? Remember, your total carry capacity is 45 lbs for Str 3, and that's not an optional rule. (Encumbrance intermediate values for slowing you down is, but not maximum carrying capacity.)

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-11, 03:54 PM
How much does ring mail weight again? Remember, your total carry capacity is 45 lbs for Str 3, and that's not an optional rule. (Encumbrance intermediate values for slowing you down is, but not maximum carrying capacity.)
it weighs forty pounds which means that your character won't be able to carry anything his mage hand can't
the low emcumbrence also means you can't use a shield(weighs 6 pounds)
EDIT: huh i guess it should take a spell casting feat to get some utility

Joe the Rat
2017-01-11, 04:17 PM
Of all the options so far, Beastmaster Ranger Lassie is my favorite.

RulesJD
2017-01-11, 04:21 PM

Which is why you just put one of your V.Human increases into Strength. You get 4 Str/Con/Wis. That's pretty solid. You can now carry 60 pounds, which is Ring Mail + Shield + Weapon with a bit of room to spare for healing potions and some gold. Easy.

Save up enough gold by performing healing services and buy a donkey to carry your phat loot. No one cares how ugly and rude their doctor is when the doctor can heal them from death's door or cure their beloved of a horrible disease.

Newtonsolo313
2017-01-11, 04:36 PM
Which is why you just put one of your V.Human increases into Strength. You get 4 Str/Con/Wis. That's pretty solid. You can now carry 60 pounds, which is Ring Mail + Shield + Weapon with a bit of room to spare for healing potions and some gold. Easy.

Save up enough gold by performing healing services and buy a donkey to carry your phat loot. No one cares how ugly and rude their doctor is when the doctor can heal them from death's door or cure their beloved of a horrible disease.
hmm does crossbow expert work on blowguns because if so then you can just shoot people with a blowgun instead
edit: maybe i should consider some other classes as well for this
second edit: wait nope fighters get the most attacks and heavy armor

Yagyujubei
2017-01-11, 05:20 PM
it might be fun to play as a cripple one time....just beg ppl for money all game and eventually get your hands on that magic item that lets you control rats. be the RAT KING

Dr. Cliché
2017-01-11, 05:21 PM
it might be fun to play as a cripple one time....just beg ppl for money all game and eventually get your hands on that magic item that lets you control rats. be the RAT KING

Until you realise that the rats have better stats than you. :smallwink:

Tanarii
2017-01-11, 05:21 PM
Moon Druid, then hunt down and find three attuned magic items to get Int 19, Wis 19, and Cha 19?

Edit: Honestly I'm optimizers don't build with those magic items in mind more often.

RulesJD
2017-01-11, 06:00 PM
hmm does crossbow expert work on blowguns because if so then you can just shoot people with a blowgun instead
edit: maybe i should consider some other classes as well for this
second edit: wait nope fighters get the most attacks and heavy armor

Blowgun would be a terrible choice. It's Dex bases so your To-hit would be terrible, and it's default 1+Dex (yours is negative) damage which will be 1 damage until you hit like level 10. Dex based builds can't survive this scenario because their AC will be 9-10 for the majority of their adventuring earlier on.

Fighters are an okay choice, but the Extra Attack doesn't really matter because your To-hit will be so terrible. That's why Cleric is a significantly better choice. For starters, you can boost your To-hit with Bless so the average is at least a positive number (-3+2 (proficiency) + 2.5 (Bless) = 1.5 to hit). Next, while the Fighter attacks twice, you are doing guaranteed damage via Spirit Guardians. You can Dodge + Healing Word yourself (which will actually heal for a decent amount with Life Cleric) while your enemies melt in your SG field.

Don't get me wrong, Druid is likely the best choice by far for obvious reasons. But the next best option is a Strength build Life Cleric in Heavy Armor.

RulesJD
2017-01-11, 06:03 PM
Moon Druid, then hunt down and find three attuned magic items to get Int 19, Wis 19, and Cha 19?

Edit: Honestly I'm optimizers don't build with those magic items in mind more often.

Possibly because those items don't exist...

The only stats that have set value magic items are Strength (GoOP and BoGS), Con (Amulet of Health), and Int (Headband of Intel).

Tanarii
2017-01-11, 06:11 PM
Possibly because those items don't exist...

The only stats that have set value magic items are Strength (GoOP and BoGS), Con (Amulet of Health), and Int (Headband of Intel).
Huh, I could have sword 5e had all 6 stats. I must be getting my editions mixed up.

comk59
2017-01-11, 06:20 PM
I'd play a child. Probably the chibi healbot/mascot character. No real stength, poor hand-eye coordination, cries when I scrape my knee, no real knowledge and no attention span to apply what little knowledge I do have.

The biggest issue would be justifying the abysmal Charisma. I'd probably either have it be her getting completely disregarded by everyone, or have her be a petulant brat who abuses Friends when she doesn't get her way.

Knaight
2017-01-11, 07:22 PM
I think the real issue here is we aren't just talking about a character with a very low mental acuity & memorization ability. They've also got rock-bottom Wis for horrible awareness & attunement with the world around them, and terrible Cha for very bad personal interaction skills. Not to mention bad saves (ie easily mental controlled).

It's bad, but complements of the way the mechanics work it's really not too terrible. If we had d20 roll under attributes still then these would really suck, but -3 on a d20 isn't as terrible as it seems. It works out more to a general ineptitude in basically everything, but inept isn't nearly the same thing as utterly unable to do things.

Ogre Mage
2017-01-11, 10:50 PM
My build is for the village idiot. Such an individual is not even fit to work in regular job, much less as an adventurer. Unless the class is "cannon fodder" lol.

beargryllz
2017-01-11, 11:45 PM
Just make a druid of any race

Now you have insane stats and can dump those not-as-useful spell slots into free healing