PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian. Multi class or not to multiclass? Please help

Ohdin
2017-01-09, 10:13 PM
I'm a lvl 8 Goliath Bear-barian in AL and I can't decide if straight barbarian is better or would multi classing into fighter help optimize my character. I mainly want to multiclass for fighting style and action surge. However, I realized I would miss out on a feat. Then I was debating on lvling fighter to 4th, but if I do that should just lvl to 6th for feat also? Thanks guys

Ohdin
2017-01-10, 01:52 AM
Also Im just looking too lvl15 since AL doesn't usually doesn't get higher then that

djreynolds
2017-01-10, 02:56 AM
Will this go level 20? Then IMO no.

But if not, then watch out on what you might miss.

Level 18, indomitable strength is very nice, but level 20 makes that a 24 you always roll for strength checks but at level at 18 your roll is a 20 for strength checks

So yes you could dip 2 levels for action surge and still get indomitable strength

Or you could dip 2 levels of rogue and get expertise in athletics, that ends up being +17 to your athletics checks

Solunaris
2017-01-10, 03:27 AM
I've no idea what kind of character you are running just off of your minimal description, but I assume you have the biggest, heaviest stick you could find (note: Stick refers to anything you beat enemies around with, does not need to be wooden) and a monstrous strength score? With that assumption, let's take a look at what you'll be giving up/delaying for what you'll be getting.

Immediately, we can see that in a game to 15th level you'll lose out on Persistent Rage (not a loss worth talking about) and a Primal Feature that isn't all that great, but situationally useful. In exchange you get a Fighting Style that actives basically anytime you attack (assuming big stick fighting), a small heal (but what else do you use that Bonus Action for as a Barb?) and the always super useful Action Surge. A good trade in my books, but we also have another cost to consider.

Delays; and this is the real stickler. Pushing back Brutal Critical and Spirit Walker isn't so bad, both are highly situational and not all that powerful; but pushing Relentless Rage and the ASI back two levels could be devastating. It depends on how often you go down in fights (shouldn't be often depending on the DM/Party composition) and if you've already beefed your muscles out to the max or not.

If you can stomach the delays (an easier pill to swallow if you've already maxed Strength) then I'd say go for it. You'll still get that extra ASI before the end, and it might make for a great buff right at the end before the final battle with the BBEG. You are already past the breaking point for the best Barbarian features (Reckless Attack, Extra Attack, Totem Spirit, Feral Instinct) that you have room to multiclass. Honestly, it might be better to take Fighter to 3 as a Battle Master to give you that many more options on your turn than just, "I swing my big stick" and "I angrily swing my big stick."

Ohdin
2017-01-10, 03:41 AM
To give you guys a better look at my character I have:
Str: 18
Dex: 13
Con: 16
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 8
I'm using a +1greatsword
Went the totem warrior route with bear as totem spirit, wolf as aspect, 4th lvl ASI, and 8th lvl went GWF. I also have Red dragon scale mail on if that matters to anyone( its +2AC then UD). This guy has only gone down once during a UCON module this past Sunday. Almost went down twice during the AL epic against the iron Baron but that's it thus far. If I go fighter three I was going to go champion for the improved critical.

Malifice
2017-01-10, 03:57 AM
I'm a lvl 8 Goliath Bear-barian in AL and I can't decide if straight barbarian is better or would multi classing into fighter help optimize my character. I mainly want to multiclass for fighting style and action surge. However, I realized I would miss out on a feat. Then I was debating on lvling fighter to 4th, but if I do that should just lvl to 6th for feat also? Thanks guys

You're 1 level away from brutal critical. Ride out one more level to 9th for brutal crit, then over to (Champion) fighter for 3 levels.

Then back to barbarian.

Lombra
2017-01-10, 04:01 AM
WAIT! At 14th level you might become a fliying barbarian! No more difficult terrain, no more flying monsters to worry about, I'd consider just one level dip just for the fighting style if any.

Ohdin
2017-01-10, 04:05 AM
I'm not to worried about the 14th lvl primal. I would treat the flying one as a leap attack like in diablo 2 if I did that just for area coverage. Not all that useful. Besides most fights take place on the ground or just above your head. So swinging a great sword would typically hit unless they are 10ft+

djreynolds
2017-01-10, 04:52 AM
Max out strength, and if can grab some fighter or rogue.

I prefer rogue for expertise, maybe not for athletics as you will have advantage with reckless attack, but for perception... priceless. 1 level is a huge boon.

But a level of fighter is great as well, 1-3 can't hurt or 4 for the ASI.

12 barbarian, 1 rogue, 2 fighter and max strength

But you could go 9 barbarian/6 fighter, max out strength and snag GWM, for me battlemaster would be sweet or monster hunter if AL legal (great saves with SD, and Protection from evil when not raging) or champion

Ohdin
2017-01-10, 05:24 AM
In AL we get PHB+1book(volos, EE, SCAG,etc.) So in that case should just take next lvl in barb to get +3 rage DMG instead +2 and brutal crit or take fighter then?

djreynolds
2017-01-10, 05:54 AM
In AL we get PHB+1book(volos, EE, SCAG,etc.) So in that case should just take next lvl in barb to get +3 rage DMG instead +2 and brutal crit or take fighter then?

+3 damage and brutal critical, yes please. Then take fighter to 6 and get 2 ASI, Get GWN sooner, coupled with reckless attack and precision... you will hardly ever miss.

Ohdin
2017-01-10, 06:05 PM
I picked up GWM on this ASI

Specter
2017-01-10, 07:27 PM
As a final build, Barb11/Fighter4 is as good as it gets. Relentless Rage is where the Barbarian money is. And Fighting Style and Action Surge are like second nature to a barbarian.

For archetype, Champion is the real deal if you have a greataxe and want to abuse Brutal Critical. But if you want more teamplay and effects that can be strategized upon, Battlemaster.

GlenSmash!
2017-01-10, 08:37 PM
Investing in Barb or fighter is typically the best way to go. Barb 9+/Champion3 has great critical synergy. Replace Champ with BattleMaster if you'd like more short rest abilities.

Going the other way you could leave Barb at 3 or 4 and take Fighter to 11 for 3 attacks per attack action, but this delays extra attack for a long time, so it's better if you start fighter first.

Aryjna
2017-01-14, 10:55 AM
If you are aiming for survivability, full barbarian may be the best choice in the end, though this is debatable and it depends on the encounter.

For increased damage while still being a barbarian I would say Barbarian 3/Fighter 17. This way you get all the most important abilities and barbarian flavour: rage, bear damage resistance, reckless attack, danger sense and unarmored defense, while also having three attacks from fighter 11, two uses of action surge and three uses of indomitable. One die from brutal critical is completely negligible in most cases, even with champion. Relentless rage from barbarian 11 is pretty good, but nothing next to bear damage resistance, while the three charges of Indomitable you can get from fighter 17 can be much more critical to surviving against a strong enemy than relentless rage.

However, if you want more levels of barbarian (and if the DM does not agree that you switch levels you have already gained in that campaign), it may be better to go Barbarian 8/Fighter 12. This way you miss brutal critical and 1 point of extra rage damage (compared to Barbarian 9/Fighter 11), but you gain one additional feat slot instead, which can be used for a feat such as resilient wisdom or lucky, which can greatly increase survivability in combination with Indomitable you get from fighter, or a feat like sentinel for additional damage that is more consistent than brutal critical.

For just level 15, ideally you would swap out the last levels and go barbarian 3 or 4 and all the rest in fighter in my opinion. If that is not possible I would say Barbarian 15 without any fighter levels.