PDA

View Full Version : Stat layout question

JumboWheat01
2017-01-10, 09:04 AM
I'm drawing up a new character for a new campaign, who I will blatantly admit is not optimized in any way, shape or form, a Half-orc Wild Magic Sorcerer. Tempting fate once again. As always, I use the standard array.

My primary question is there any particular reason I should have my Charisma at 15 rather than 14? The former puts me at 14 Constitution, while the latter lets me start at 16, and I'd still have the same modifier for Charisma as the former.

pangoo209
2017-01-10, 10:10 AM
I'm not exactly a veteran or anything, but it depends on the type of campaign you're playing. If it's more combat based I would go for CON. despite sorcerer being a full caster. CHA. would be more useful in a less combat oriented game, allowing for more improvement later

Lavok Rammstein
2017-01-10, 10:22 AM
Put the 15 in con and the 14 in Charisma and boots your charisma with your next ASI. Your logic is sound.

Isaire
2017-01-10, 10:44 AM
Odd numbers in ability scores are only worth having if:

You have two odd numbers, both in ablities you want to increase (as a byproduct of maximising another key stat at even)
You have a feat you want to take which gives you a +1 ASI

In this case, seeing as you either have an even (but lower) con and odd cha or an even con and cha, the two evens makes more sense, and later ASI's will bring them both to the same point. Unless there was a feat you really wanted to take which gives +1 con or +1 cha. If you have an odd dex, you could always take resilient (dex) I guess..