PDA

View Full Version : Ask a Canadian!

North
2007-07-18, 08:04 PM
For all of those who dont live in the true north, that is both strong and free, dont worry I am here to answer all your questions. Not just about Canadian politics, land, weather and our obsessions with both beer and hockey but I will answer also answer your questions about life the universe and everything with a Canadians sensibilitity.

All answers given here are 126% true. No matter what source, scientist or grammar expert says otherwise. For reals.

Eh?

psychoticbarber
2007-07-18, 08:09 PM
Let me start you off with a clearly unbiased question that is in no way being asked by a fellow Canadian

How awesome are we, eh? is Canada?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-07-18, 08:56 PM
Why are you supposed to eat the red ones last?

I never divined the answer while visiting your noble lands.

North
2007-07-18, 08:59 PM
Let me start you off with a clearly unbiased question that is in no way being asked by a fellow Canadian

How awesome are we, eh? is Canada?

Canada is so awesome if it wasnt for the fact that winter never leaves we would be on fire.

But were too modest to say that of course.

Why are you supposed to eat the red ones last?

I never divined the answer while visiting your noble lands.

Because the rest are poison and the red ones are the antidote.

Eh?

Indurain
2007-07-18, 09:01 PM
Because the rest are poison and the red ones are the antidote.

Do you not think there was a reason he was "unable to divine" the answer last time. Now you've ruined my plans. *sigh* Guess the hockey sticks'll have to do.

zeratul
2007-07-18, 09:03 PM
Howw in the nine hells do you guys find french fries, with mayo edible?

FdL
2007-07-18, 09:05 PM
Do people realize they have some really cool indie bands and therefore listen to them? Like Sloan...And 54-40, and the Tragically Hip, Jale, Eric's Trip (are any of those even still around or I got stuck in mid 90's? :p)

Not to mention legendary musicians like Neil Young.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-18, 09:06 PM
Ehe...ehe...hehehe....I already know the real answer to this, but I want to see if you'll say it anyway.

"What do you call American Cheese?"

zeratul
2007-07-18, 09:08 PM
Also Barenaked Ladies,and Moxy Fruvus

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-18, 09:08 PM
What, precisely, is so awesome about Tim Hortons?

Lemur
2007-07-18, 09:10 PM
What's rounder, an orange?

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-18, 09:11 PM
Do people realize they have some really cool indie bands and therefore listen to them? Like Sloan...And 54-40, and the Tragically Hip, Jale, Eric's Trip (are any of those even still around or I got stuck in mid 90's? :p)

The TH are classic now. Seriously, they get played on the classic rock stations.

We do occasionally realize that we have good bands. However, laws requiring that any media outlet have a certain percentage of Canadian content means that radio stations often play "safe" choices in a bid for ratings. This results in a horrid overabundance of Nickelback, Three Day's Grace, and Bryan Adams.

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 09:16 PM
I know this is not going to end well for me, but I have to say it anyways.
How does it feel knowing you have the privilege of sharing your southern border with the greatest country in the world?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-18, 09:19 PM
How does it feel knowing you have the privilege of sharing your southern border with the greatest country in the world?

Don't you know anything about geography? *Rolls eyes*

They share with America, not Australia. Australia is a island and so is not on their southern border.

Honestly, some people don't even research their facts.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-18, 09:23 PM
Funny, 'cause I was gonna point out that Japan was on the other side of the pacific.

FdL
2007-07-18, 09:23 PM
The TH are classic now. Seriously, they get played on the classic rock stations.

We do occasionally realize that we have good bands. However, laws requiring that any media outlet have a certain percentage of Canadian content means that radio stations often play "safe" choices in a bid for ratings. This results in a horrid overabundance of Nickelback, Three Day's Grace, and Bryan Adams.

Interesting. I didn't have a clue about that. I'm sorry about having to listen to those in the radio... :s

Also Barenaked Ladies,and Moxy Fruvus

You're right, I forgot about Barenaked Ladies, and didn't remember the name for Broken Social Scene.

You know where my knowledge of canadian bands comes from?
When cable was a new thing here in my town (early 90's) and there still wasn't a local MTV channel, we had Much Music. Well, we still have a local version of Much Music, but back then it was the original canadian programs, with just a couple local presenters punched in.

So they put amazing music, excelent shows really, not only about canadian artists, though I got to know a lot. There was a program called Spotlight where they'd play specials with videos and interviews of bands. That's how I got to know amazing bands like LUSH. I remember seeing that program and waiting for the repetition to tape it. I still have it.

Later MTV came and it paled in comparison really, too commercial and banal.

So a big thanks to canadian culture for Much Music and all I learned about good music through them.

zeratul
2007-07-18, 09:25 PM
Interesting. I didn't have a clue about that. I'm sorry about having to listen to those in the radio... :s

You're right, I forgot about Barenaked Ladies, and didn't remember the name for Broken Social Scene.

You know where my knowledge of canadian bands comes from?
When cable was a new thing here in my town (early 90's) and there still wasn't a local MTV channel, we had Much Music. Well, we still have a local version of Much Music, but back then it was the original canadian programs, with just a couple local presenters punched in.

So they put amazing music, excelent shows really, not only about canadian artists, though I got to know a lot. There was a program called Spotlight where they'd play specials with videos and interviews of bands. That's how I got to know amazing bands like LUSH. I remember seeing that program and waiting for the repetition to tape it. I still have it.

Later MTV came and it paled in comparison really, too commercial and banal.

So a big thanks to canadian culture for Much Music and all I learned about good music through them.

The sad thing is I can't tell if you just dissed Moxy Fruvus or not.

North
2007-07-18, 09:28 PM

This is a tricky one. Popularized in Quebec in 1816 when the french would dip raw potatoes in butter, it has remained a popular staple of Quebec cuisine. Since the mid 80's it exploded out to the rest of Canada.

But my friends do not regular mayonaise only use mchicken sauce packets from mcdonalds these are possessed of a taste to match fries perfectly.

Yes and no. Canada has whathca call a continental music system. Large regions of the country are controlled by certain types of music. Country in the prairies , Folk music and Fiddle music in the maritimes. Oldies in Manitoba.

Ehe...ehe...hehehe....I already know the real answer to this, but I want to see if you'll say it anyway.

Plastic Cheese. I have never known it by another term. I had to google it.

What, precisely, is so awesome about Tim Hortons?

Tim Hortons. Ethnic Canadian food at its finest.

Canada is very cold. Very. Cold. Timmys coffee is a staple for us to keep our body temp high enough. After so many years we our now as dependent upon it as Italians are on Lasagna.

Statscan 2007 statistic. As of 2007 currently 13 Canadians to every Tim Hortons this is only because of the recent baby boom. It used to be the other way around.

Eh?

FdL
2007-07-18, 09:29 PM

No, it's just that I don't know them :p I'll do some research.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-18, 09:31 PM
Plastic Cheese. I have never known it by another term. I had to google it.

Funny, because when I was in Canada, everyone there called it Canadian Cheese when I had to finally ask what they called the plasticly cheese.

Moxy Fruvus is made of awesome and win.

Yiel
2007-07-18, 09:31 PM
*raises hand*

I have a question for the Canadians. Why does my aunt always send me bottles of Maple Syrup for my birthday? (She lives in Toronto) It is 5 birthdays in a row now. :smallfrown:

zeratul
2007-07-18, 09:34 PM
No, it's just that I don't know them :p I'll do some research.

As Saithis said They are made of awsome, and win.

North
2007-07-18, 09:39 PM
What's rounder, an orange?

Eh? Without saying what an orange might be rounder then Ill have to say NO. An orange it most not rounder

Technically Great Britain is the greatest country in the world. It has Great in the title after all.

God Save The Queen

*raises hand*

I have a question for the Canadians. Why does my aunt always send me bottles of Maple Syrup for my birthday? (She lives in Toronto) It is 5 birthdays in a row now. :smallfrown:

Maple Syrup is the all purpose tool. Its not just a condiment.

Sure you can put it on pancakes, waffles, cereal, toast, pancakes, fruit, steak and lobster.

But it also doubles as temporary adhesive, anti theft device, mace, lubricant, suntan lotion and more.

Statscan 2007 statistic - Each Canadian goes thru one bottle of maple syrup a week. Prisoner in a max prison for murder get one bottle a month.

Eh?

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 09:43 PM

They share with America, not Australia. Australia is a island and so is not on their southern border.

When I saw you had posted, I though the Canadians had killed me, and you had come to take me away. Then I realized it was just you talking about something called "geography." Yeah, like that actually exists.

Rawhide
2007-07-18, 09:44 PM
*raises hand*

I'll be happy to take any unwanted maple syrup.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-18, 09:46 PM
When I saw you had posted, I though the Canadians had killed me, and you had come to take me away.

The Management frowns on my use of the internet as a medium for my job. :smallfrown:

Even if it is more efficient, they say it lacks that "Personal" touch.

Canadians: Do you all carry hockey sticks around where ever you go?

Raven T.
2007-07-18, 09:47 PM
Tim Hortons. Ethnic Canadian food at its finest.

Canada is very cold. Very. Cold. Timmys coffee is a staple for us to keep our body temp high enough. After so many years we our now as dependent upon it as Italians are on Lasagna.

Eh?

Interesting sidenote: did you know they are importing THs to the Great Lakes area (maybe in other places, too.) My mother used to love the doughnut holes.

As for a question: I do not like cold. I would like to visit, if not, move to Canada. How can I reconcile this?

Indurain
2007-07-18, 09:47 PM
Canadians: Do you all carry hockey sticks around where ever you go?

Only the military. We never know when the Americans are gonna snap and decide they need another state.

Indurain
2007-07-18, 09:48 PM
Interesting sidenote: did you know they are importing THs to the Great Lakes area (maybe in other places, too.) My mother used to love the doughnut holes.

They're called Timbits.

As for a question: I do not like cold. I would like to visit, if not, move to Canada. How can I reconcile this?

Vancouver.

SDF
2007-07-18, 09:48 PM

You mean that desert where everything is poisonous and the British send their prisoners? The Rescuers Down Under is an awesome Disney movie, almost as awesome as An American Tale. ;D

I spent my youth in a frozen hellish town on the US/Canadian border. So I was in Canada quite often doncha know, and since something like 90% of Canadians live about 80 kilos(50 miles) from the US border it felt a lot more like Canada than the US. Especially now that I live in Idaho. =P For a kid thing that set us apart like who we voted for and what our money looked like didn't come into consideration when I thought about any differences. All I remembered was that Canada didn't smell because of that John Candy movie Canadian Bacon.

North, your sn reminds me of that Macauly Culkin movie North. They one where this kid goes on a journey across the world to pick new parents...

And this has been: Life as it relates to movies with SDF.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-18, 09:51 PM
Vancouver.

Amen. It rains a lot, but it's really quite mild in temperatures, much like the UK or the Northwestern U.S. Maybe slightly colder.

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 09:54 PM
Only the military. We never know when the Americans are gonna snap and decide they need another state.

Don't worry. We've considered it, but we decided that having to redo the flag to accommodate 51st state would just be too much of a hassle. A territory, on the other hand. That one is still being debated. Watch your backs, that's all I'm saying.
I do have an actual question. Do Canadians actually watch curling? I've tried and it bores me to death. Give me hockey any day.

Raven T.
2007-07-18, 09:57 PM
Actually, I liked curling the few times I got to see it during one Winter Olympics.

Indurain
2007-07-18, 09:58 PM
I do have an actual question. Do Canadians actually watch curling? I've tried and it bores me to death. Give me hockey any day.

I love hockey. I watch as much as I can (though not on American TV, your announcers hurt me.) It is the greatest sport.

That said...every once in a while I do watch curling. During big events like the Scott tournament of Hearts, I can enjoy it. Though it may help that I've actually curled before so I can appreciate how hard it is (but incredibly fun).

Rockphed
2007-07-18, 09:58 PM

You got it wrong! The greatest country in the world is NORTH of Canada.

North
2007-07-18, 10:00 PM

Supplement your body heat with Tim Hortons Coffe. Its chemical composition will genetically modify your body to adapt

North, your sn reminds me of that Macauly Culkin movie North. They one where this kid goes on a journey across the world to pick new parents...

That was a funny movie. But it was Elijah Wood in it tho. Easy mistake.

EH?

Raven T.
2007-07-18, 10:01 PM
Supplement your body heat with Tim Hortons Coffe. Its chemical composition will genetically modify your body to adapt

EH?

Coffee tends to be far too bitter without copious amounts of sugar.

Mmmm...now I want a S'mores cappuccino...

North
2007-07-18, 10:03 PM
Don't worry. We've considered it, but we decided that having to redo the flag to accommodate 51st state would just be too much of a hassle. A territory, on the other hand. That one is still being debated. Watch your backs, that's all I'm saying.

Ahem.

The last fracas between the U.S.A. and Canada was the war of 1812. Dont make us go there again. :D

Hockey is much preferred but curling is quite relaxing to watch as well.

EH?

FdL
2007-07-18, 10:06 PM
Curling! I learned of this thanks to cable...

It's quite fascinating. Isn't it like a cross between bowling and mopping the floor?

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:07 PM
It's more Shuffleboard on Ice.

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 10:08 PM
Ahem.

The last fracas between the U.S.A. and Canada was the war of 1812. Dont make us go there again. :D

Hockey is much preferred but curling is quite relaxing to watch as well.

EH?

Look, the War of 1812 was not a good time alright. Though we did get a spiffy new national anthem out of it. *Oh, say can you see...* Anyways. I think we could probably do better this time around. Also, Canadian hockey still erupts into violent fights, right? Cause, that's the best part of hockey.

Indurain
It's more Shuffleboard on Ice.

With brooms.

zeratul
Aren't you basically just shooting a heavy teapot with a broom?

Indurain
2007-07-18, 10:09 PM
Look, the War of 1812 was not a good time alright. Though we did get a spiffy new national anthem out of it. *Oh, say can you see...* Anyways. I think we could probably do better this time around. Also, Canadian hockey still erupts into violent fights, right? Cause, that's the best part of hockey.

Fights? Never! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ)

Midnight Son
2007-07-18, 10:10 PM
Only the military. We never know when the Americans are gonna snap and decide they need another state.If we need another state, we'll be sure to take one that's actually worth anything. You're quite safe.:smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, why do you supose it is that we chose not to take Canada during our expansionist stage? I mean, we beat you soundly and everything, then just...gave it back?

Okay, technically we weren't a country yet, but it happened.

zeratul
2007-07-18, 10:11 PM
ok question time.

How does it manage to be so freakin awesome?

SDF
2007-07-18, 10:12 PM
I remember Elija, but I could have sworn his friend that turns into an evil business mogul was Macauly... shoot.

zeratul
2007-07-18, 10:14 PM
Is it true that most of you gun related deaths are shooting accidents?

Jack Squat
2007-07-18, 10:15 PM
yeah, I have a question...i this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9vxDDcTc64c) actually your national anthem as it claims?

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:16 PM
If we need another state, we'll be sure to take one that's actually worth anything. You're quite safe.:smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, why do you supose it is that we chose not to take Canada during our expansionist stage? I mean, we beat you soundly and everything, then just...gave it back?

Okay, technically we weren't a country yet, but it happened.

???!? You're saying the US won the war of 1812?

Explain to me then, why the White House is white?

(Answer: It was burned TWICE during the war.)

(And yes, I am aware that it actually was painted white since it's construction. The fact remains, we did not start the war of 1812, but we certainly FINISHED it.)

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 10:18 PM

I love hockey. And Metallica. Interesting fact, the featured article today on Wikipedia is fighting in ice hockey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_in_ice_hockey).

zeratul
2007-07-18, 10:18 PM
You burned it down, but we won in the end. We also did some overkill at the battle of New Orleans.

Raven T.
2007-07-18, 10:19 PM

But the real question is: who won?:smallamused:

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:21 PM
Need I also point out that the majority of british forces were engaged in battle with Napoleon at the time as well? As I recall, the US was using everything it could, while we used about a third of potential troops to fight the war. Historically, the war should be considered a stalemate because neither side gained nor lost any territory.

zeratul
2007-07-18, 10:25 PM
we were weak back then? Want's to go to war with us now? What you've gotta ask yourself is, "do I feel lucky?". Well, do ya punk?

North
2007-07-18, 10:27 PM
ok question time.

How does it manage to be so freakin awesome?

Beer. Lots of beer.

Its the universal lubricant of goodtimes.

Statscan 2007 statistic.
45% of gunrelated deaths involved the gun being shot accidentally <98% had alcahol as a related factor>
38% were purposely fired
8% started with "I bet you cant light that on fire....."

yeah, I have a question...i this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9vxDDcTc64c) actually your national anthem as it claims?

Theres a grassroots movement currently underway to replace it.

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:31 PM
Bring it! Let me lay out a scenario for you.

Assume the United States declared war on Canada tommorow. How many countries would side with you against us? How many would side with us against you? You will find that Canada would likely find more allies the United States, so as a result, the majority of the world would do what the could to support Canada. Realistically, you'd do a fair amount of damage to our infrastructure and economy, at the cost of pretty much everything your nation has built up.

That's why our countries have good relations with each other, because if we didn't it would be mutually selfdestructive.

Midnight Son
2007-07-18, 10:33 PM
???!? You're saying the US won the war of 1812?

Explain to me then, why the White House is white?

(Answer: It was burned TWICE during the war.)

(And yes, I am aware that it actually was painted white since it's construction. The fact remains, we did not start the war of 1812, but we certainly FINISHED it.)
Burning a building does not mean you won a war. We were so busy with the British that we decided to ignore the pesky little threat to the north till we finished with them. Then, when we had them beat, you all ran back to your borders and put up a just kidding sign.

Yes, I know that's not what really happened as Canada, at the time, was technically still part of Britain. The point is, we did win that war, just not the Canadian portion of it.

And to the point of the British not using their full strength, when did they ever. Part of the fall of their Empire was in spreading themselves too thin.

zeratul
2007-07-18, 10:33 PM
We could just nuke you still there's no one to resist though :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: .

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:36 PM
Exactly my point. As far as we canadians are concerned, we won the war of 1812 because we won the part we were involved with. Britain may not have been able to keep up the war, and signed the treaty, but the historical evidence clearly shows that the british troops on Canadian soil successful defended against an American invasion. So, essentially, Canada won the war, Britan did not.

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:38 PM
We could just nuke you still there's no one to resist though :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: .

Here's why that won't work:

1. Canadian shield would disperse much of the radiation before it spread to far. There may be severe initial casualties, but the fallout would not do much.

2. While the radiation would not be able to spread north, it would spread south rapidly, and you would have millions in your northern states suffering from severe radiation poisoning.

3. Consider the world situation. How would the rest of the world react to the United States launching nukes at an ALLY?

Midnight Son
2007-07-18, 10:40 PM
It's all moot anyway. you guys are cool froods who know where your towels are. (but please stop putting mayo on my burger)

Indurain
2007-07-18, 10:41 PM
Okay...let's curb the My nuke can kick your hockey stick's ass debate.

Everyone just drink a beer and chill out. Though I recommend Canadian (or Australian) beer as American beer...well...you know.

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:42 PM
Personally, I prefer the Tim Horton's Hot Smoothies, but I can't find them where I am. (Ironic, because I live where HQ is.) Probably a seasonal thing.

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 10:44 PM
Since I kind of started the my country is better than your's thing, I'd like to apologize to the Canadians whose thread I helped momentarily hijack. I guess my American pride is a little too strong.

Penguinsushi
2007-07-18, 10:45 PM
Do people realize they have some really cool indie bands and therefore listen to them?
[...]

Quoted for awesomeness - even though that part of the conversation was way-the-frell back there.

Other favs being the Weakerthans and Our Lady Peace. There are probably a few more on my list as well...

~PS

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 10:45 PM
No problem.. You'll find that some Canadian's are more patriotic then their american counterparts.

North
2007-07-18, 10:47 PM
I suppose i shouldn't say this seeing as how this is a highly important military secret. If found out Ill just say im some internet crackpot.

Hidden in the Rocky Mountains are 70,000 "Mountie" Class Gundam style Robot Destroyers.

And thats just the start....

Fortunetly we are all happy friends with the exchange of good American tv for premium Canadian beer.

Now lets all just have a beer eh?

Indurain
2007-07-18, 10:47 PM
Quoted for awesomeness - even though that part of the conversation was way-the-frell back there.

Other favs being the Weakerthans and Our Lady Peace. There are probably a few more on my list as well...

~PS

OLP used to be good. Then they started getting popular world wide with their more...wimpy songs. If you go back in their catalogue and listen to Naveed you'll see how OLP used to be really good, not just mediocre.

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 10:51 PM
No problem.. You'll find that some Canadian's are more patriotic then their american counterparts.

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. I like to think I'm doing quite good myself, though. If the Canadians here are a good indication of the general population, you guys must be bursting with national pride. Are they? Look a question for Canadians. We're back on topic!

Indurain
2007-07-18, 10:56 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that at all. I like to think I'm doing quite good myself, though. If the Canadians here are a good indication of the general population, you guys must be bursting with national pride. Are they? Look a question for Canadians. We're back on topic!

I am. My first tattoo was a Maple Leaf. Not very creative, but I always hold my Canadian heritage as a point of pride.

Penguinsushi
2007-07-18, 10:56 PM
OLP used to be good. Then they started getting popular world wide with their more...wimpy songs. If you go back in their catalogue and listen to Naveed you'll see how OLP used to be really good, not just mediocre.

I have most of their stuff. I think they're still good, but I'll agree they used to be stronger. Still, I think our definitions of their best stuff would be different. My main thing is that I don't think Gravity and Healthy In Paranoid Times are as good as their previous work. I started listening to them when Clumsy came out and I bought it and Naveed at the same time. Naveed is a good record as well.

I must admit I'm a big fan of Spiritual Machines (and the book it was inspired by).

~PS

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-07-18, 11:00 PM

A nuclear explosion would likely ignite the vast coal deposits in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Ontario. This, alongside Alberta's Oil Sands, would see the land burn for at least several decades.

And Al Gore would be really ticked off.

Plus a lot of filming studios are up here. Entertainment junkies wouldn't risk it.

I live in Saskatchewan. We have a a natural immunity to the Extremes, as ordinary flesh boils in our summers and we have normal Canadian winters.

North
2007-07-18, 11:00 PM

Yay back on topic!

Yes most Canadians are bursting with national pride.

Once a year every Canadian blood alcahol level is checked. Randomly. Unless its at least 2% alcahol they are deported to Haiti.

Unless theyre packing maple syrup.

Indurain
2007-07-18, 11:01 PM
I have most of their stuff. I think they're still good, but I'll agree they used to be stronger. Still, I think our definitions of their best stuff would be different. My main thing is that I don't think Gravity and Healthy In Paranoid Times are as good as their previous work. I started listening to them when Clumsy came out and I bought it and Naveed at the same time. Naveed is a good record as well.

I must admit I'm a big fan of Spiritual Machines (and the book it was inspired by).

~PS

SM was when I stopped buying their albums. Naveed, Clumsy, and Happiness are all good albums, but after "Life" I just felt like things had gotten too angsty for me.

Pyre
2007-07-18, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6wKOW0Zt0&NR

Nomrom
2007-07-18, 11:10 PM
Do Canadians really say Eh? One of my friends has Canadian family and she says they do, but I've hears others say they don't. I'm guessing its a regional thing like ya'll in America.

Indurain
2007-07-18, 11:15 PM
Do Canadians really say Eh? One of my friends has Canadian family and she says they do, but I've hears others say they don't. I'm guessing its a regional thing like ya'll in America.

I recently had this discussion with a friend. While we don't say it as much as we're portrayed to, we certainly do say it. Thing is we're so used to saying it, that we barely notice when we do any more.

Make sense?

North
2007-07-18, 11:17 PM

Eh is the multipurpose word. Its can be used for just about anything.

In the prairies of western Canada its not unheard of to hear

"Y'all want a beer eh?"

Eldritch Knight
2007-07-18, 11:17 PM
We do.

Now, another thing about Canadians is that not only are they proud of their national heritage, they are also proud of their ethnic heritage. Take me, for example. I am decended from "East Coast Left Handed Bagpipe Technicians."

Any of our American comrades know the reference?

FdL
2007-07-18, 11:23 PM

~PS

Yeaahhh, those were good too! Also The Tea Party? I'm probably not going to remember more than those, but I tell you, very good stuff.

Edit: Also, talking about war sucks. Nobody wants to have a war with anyone. Nobody cares who would win or who would side with whom. And past wars have been an awful mistake. Besides, it's impolite at the very least to talk about war against Canada when this thread is an invitation from a Canadian to talk about his country and culture. :smallannoyed:

Indurain
2007-07-18, 11:53 PM
Yeaahhh, those were good too! Also The Tea Party? I'm probably not going to remember more than those, but I tell you, very good stuff.

QFT! The Tea Party are...well...were great. Another Canadian band that kinda petered out. Their early stuff is amazing, but they started going really mainstream as their career went on. Gone were the Eastern infulenced songs, in were the generic rock riffs. It was really sad. But at least I got to see them play live before the downfall.

FdL
2007-07-19, 12:20 AM
QFT! The Tea Party are...well...were great. Another Canadian band that kinda petered out. Their early stuff is amazing, but they started going really mainstream as their career went on. Gone were the Eastern infulenced songs, in were the generic rock riffs. It was really sad. But at least I got to see them play live before the downfall.

They were really cool, with those eastern influences and brooding thing. And the singer also had a Morrison thing going on. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these bands still made music today, but I wouldn't expect it to be the same...

Except for Sloan, they still rule I think.

Also, I've learned in the guitar the song by Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet made popular for being the theme to Kids In The Hall. Awesome.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-19, 12:52 AM
Okay, just found this thread and I apologize for the late entry but...

HOLY CRAP! Someone else has heard of Moxy Fruvous?

*dances a happy dance while humming "Darlington Darling"*

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-19, 01:56 AM
As another Canadian I can verify that everything North has said is true. Also, British Columbia is not controlled by music, because it is instead controlled by a brutal cartel of drug lords who all strangely wear squirrel hats.

We don't ask why. We learned our lesson.

Gygaxphobia
2007-07-19, 01:58 AM
I like Canada, it reminds me that the Queen is in charge of more of the American continent thatn the US President is :)

Vuzzmop
2007-07-19, 02:38 AM
Okay...let's curb the My nuke can kick your hockey stick's ass debate.

Everyone just drink a beer and chill out. Though I recommend Canadian (or Australian) beer as American beer...well...you know.

Amen. You forgot about NZ beer though. We're like the southern Canada, right next to a powerful but dumb country, with awful beer.

zeratul
2007-07-19, 06:49 AM
Here's why that won't work:

1. Canadian shield would disperse much of the radiation before it spread to far. There may be severe initial casualties, but the fallout would not do much.

2. While the radiation would not be able to spread north, it would spread south rapidly, and you would have millions in your northern states suffering from severe radiation poisoning.

3. Consider the world situation. How would the rest of the world react to the United States launching nukes at an ALLY?

Hey don't get me wrong I like Canada, even better than I like where I am now. I 've considered moving there in the future. I just think we'd win in a war.

North
2007-07-19, 10:50 AM
Hey don't get me wrong I like Canada, even better than I like where I am now. I 've considered moving there in the future. I just think we'd win in a war.

As the Cheerleader said "Dont go there"

If youd like start a new thread for Canada vs US

KoDT69
2007-07-19, 10:52 AM
So are any Canadians here offended by the South Park movie? :smallwink:

Can you take Celine Dion back home? :smallmad:

Can we keep Avril Lavigne? :smallbiggrin:

draca
2007-07-19, 11:32 AM
Long have I planned to defect to Canada if things get too crazy here in the barbaric South. So, what’s the best way to go about implementing that plan, eh? Is Toronto the hot ticket to start out in, or is the west coast niftier?

North
2007-07-19, 11:37 AM

Can we keep Avril Lavigne? :smallbiggrin:

Nah we loved the South Park movie. And I thought Blame Canada was hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHA. NO. You touched her last.

No. But we will give you shared custody. And alternate holidays.

Long have I planned to defect to Canada if things get too crazy here in the barbaric South. So, what’s the best way to go about implementing that plan, eh? Is Toronto the hot ticket to start out in, or is the west coast niftier?

Hmmm from the south you say...

Get hired on as a gopher for the Atlanta Thrashers or Dallas Stars then when they eventually come to the west for a hockey game go AWOL.

The west coast is much more niftier

Joran
2007-07-19, 11:38 AM
When Americans say "about" instead of "aboot", does it crack you up as much as it does us?

Totally Guy
2007-07-19, 11:39 AM
There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio.

On the subject of Canadians on the radio my little brother always listens to the Vinyl Cafe and he learnt how to do the accent (which is different from the the various American ones he can do) and now he wants to go there before university.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-07-19, 11:41 AM
Is it true that you have more beavers than people up there?

Also, would you like some of our guns? They're really fun to play with. Especially in school.

Cyrano
2007-07-19, 11:43 AM
There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio.

My god. You have TH, Arcade Fire, Nickelback, and the proud Canadian artist you hear is RIHANNA?
WHAT THE CRAP?

For my THIRD question, what makes you assume (Not you, Glug, this is adressed to North) that you, a mere Edmontoner, have the wisdom to answer questions when, right here, is a true bred Montrealer, full of ultimate wisdoms and snarkiness? For lo, Edmonton is a featureless plain, but yea, Montreal is full of good! (And strip clubs, and churches, and antique shops. In fact, each one of those is about a third of the city. I don't think we even HAVE a residential area.)

PS. By antique store, I mean sex shop.

Kitya
2007-07-19, 11:53 AM
*sighs happily as I read this thread* I miss Canadian culture... I've lived in the states for 8 years now. I've totally missed out on Vinyl Cafe, I didn't get to see the movie about curling, and I have to ask for Arrogant Worms cd's for christmas because they don't sell them down here. I'm a born and bred Saskie where the wind never stops and you can drive for an hour without seeing a house that's lived in. *cell phones, blankets, emergency kit, and spare tires are very important things to have in a vehicle... oh and booster cables*

I used to say eh all the time and never even noticed. Until I got here where people constantly pointed it out to me. Thanks to marrying a Texan, I now say y'all all the time instead. *chuckles* I keep telling people that now I am able to say, "Good Day y'all eh!" And for some reason they die laffing. Very odd.

The ONE thing I want down here more than anything else... except maybe Don Cherry and Hockey night in Canada, is POUTINE! god I miss that stuff. *sniffs*

Oh, and if you're wanting a decent, but not well known Canadian group... try Big Rude Jake. *grin*

PS: SEND RICKARDS RED!!! Lots of it!! And Polar Ice.

North
2007-07-19, 11:55 AM
When Americans say "about" instead of "aboot", does it crack you up as much as it does us?

AH a popular misconception. The majority of Canadians dont actually say "aboot".

But when you say soda instead of pop that cracks us all up.

hehehe Soda....lols

Is it true that you have more beavers than people up there?

Also, would you like some of our guns? They're really fun to play with. Especially in school.

Roughly half the Canadian population has their own beaver in addition to the natural beaver wildlife. There isnt more Beaver then people but it is quite close.

No thank you. Unless we can exchange them at wal-mart for store credit.

My god. You have TH, Arcade Fire, Nickelback, and the proud Canadian artist you hear is RIHANNA?
WHAT THE CRAP?

For my THIRD question, what makes you assume (Not you, Glug, this is adressed to North) that you, a mere Edmontoner, have the wisdom to answer questions when, right here, is a true bred Montrealer, full of ultimate wisdoms and snarkiness? For lo, Edmonton is a featureless plain, but yea, Montreal is full of good! (And strip clubs, and churches, and antique shops. In fact, each one of those is about a third of the city. I don't think we even HAVE a residential area.)

PS. By antique store, I mean sex shop.

Mere Edmontonian you say? Without this turning into flames and the start of s east vs west war. Ill say a couple simple truths. I have been in Canada all my life and it has saturated me to the core. Alberta doesnt try to seperate from the rest of Canada. We have the biggest mall in the world. And we also have quite the fair share of strip clubs, churches and antique shops. Although I do hear wonderful things about the Dancers in Montreal.

And doesnt your location say Placeville, USSR. Huzzah. I dont know where in Canada that is Sir :smalltongue:

But let us not fight my Quebecan Neighbor let us share a Beer and gripe about the Ducks and them stealing the Cup this year

Vonriel
2007-07-19, 12:01 PM
So is it true that you guys are as fanatic about hockey as the British are about football?

Cyrano
2007-07-19, 12:02 PM
Mere Edmontonian you say? Without this turning into flames and the start of s east vs west war. Ill say a couple simple truths. I have been in Canada all my life and it has saturated me to the core. Alberta doesnt try to seperate from the rest of Canada. We have the biggest mall in the world. And we also have quite the fair share of strip clubs, churches and antique shops. Although I do hear wonderful things about the Dancers in Montreal.

And doesnt your location say Placeville, USSR. Huzzah. I dont know where in Canada that is Sir :smalltongue:

Indeed, but my Gender also says none, and I CLEARLY exist. In fact, my "name" is D'anna Biers, which is both A, not my name and B, someone else's name. All in all, the ENTIRETY of my internet profile is a lie (except for the bit about puppets.)

As for your Mall, HA! Ha!!
HA!
ha...

As for the Holy Trinity of edifices, even Mark Twain remarked we have the mostest of them. So HA there too.

ANd for your FINAL misconception, we don't want to seperate. A healthy percentage of the FRANCOPHONES want to seperate. In fact, while the francophone Uber-Seperatists rule the province, steal our hospitals, never give money to charities and then take our things because we don't have a history of "sharing", Anglophones outnumber them. At least in spirit. And heart. Heartless dastards!

All in all, I must say all of your conceptions about Montreal are of the mis- variety. Now, why don't you run along in your hovercraft and get back to your igloo! I mean, seriously, we got central heating years ago. Pfft! Edmonton!

I DO have a question though. Can you see your dog running away for days over there, or does the natural curvation of the earth prevent that?

Hey! Guess what! I don't actually think Montreal is superior! So please, please, PLEASE don't assume I am trying to "flame" or "provoke", I'm merely having fun playing on all of the american misconceptions.

Missing Shoe
2007-07-19, 12:31 PM
Do you ever get America currency in your change?

And if so, does it work in your vending machines?

Because I always was annoyed when I had exact change for a soda only to find a Canadian nickel in my change.

Raven T.
2007-07-19, 12:46 PM
Another question: I never understood the fascination with hockey. I find it a difficult sport to follow, much less get into. By follow, I mean, you can't see the bloody puck and the camera's going everywhere, possession is changing constantly so you don't know if you're cheering at the right time, and I don't understand why players get away with fighting. In any other sport, you get ejected/fined/suspended/worse for a little pushing, yet hockey matches are more like NASCAR used to be (not a fan of that, either:) people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.

I guess there's no question in the jumble of random mutterings, but I would appreciate an explanation as to the nature of liking this...sport.

Cyrano
2007-07-19, 12:51 PM
In any other sport, you get ejected/fined/suspended/worse for a little pushing, yet hockey matches are more like NASCAR used to be (not a fan of that, either:) people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.

Well, I suppose you could go and watch a sport for the game, if you liked boring.

High five, Canadiens!

Chunklets
2007-07-19, 12:59 PM
Another question: I never understood the fascination with hockey. I find it a difficult sport to follow, much less get into. By follow, I mean, you can't see the bloody puck and the camera's going everywhere, possession is changing constantly so you don't know if you're cheering at the right time, and I don't understand why players get away with fighting. In any other sport, you get ejected/fined/suspended/worse for a little pushing, yet hockey matches are more like NASCAR used to be (not a fan of that, either:) people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.

I guess there's no question in the jumble of random mutterings, but I would appreciate an explanation as to the nature of liking this...sport.

A couple of minor answers here:

On the issue of being able to follow the play, hockey's like any other sport - the more you watch it, the better you're able to see what's happening.

As for the fighting, well, it is a debate inside hockey circles as well. A lot of hockey fans would like to see fighting gone. On the flipside, a lot of fans (and teams, for that matter), like having a fighter around to protect the star players from physical intimidation. At least, so runs the reasoning. It's also worth pointing out that at a lot of levels (college hockey, Olympic hockey, etc.), fighting does get a player ejected immediately.

mudbunny
2007-07-19, 01:02 PM
So is it true that you guys are as fanatic about hockey as the British are about football?

Hockey is life.

You know how nurses put little touques on baby's heads to keep the body-heat in and mittens on their hands to keep them from scratching themselves??

Up here in Canada, it is hockey helmets, hockey gloves and a hockey puck for a soother.

Bariko
2007-07-19, 01:05 PM
Quebec isn't East Canada. *chuckle* That'd be my place. And, to be honest, I've gotta reccomend the Maritimes as a good place to be. All we do is drink, smoke pot and party. Low crime, lots of nature, low cost of living... Also, the Albertans I met tried to fight me, the Quebeckers ripped me off by over $150, and Toronto is Canada's only American city, heh.

Maybe we should separate... Nah, we'd just get stoned and drunk and die off.

Now, regarding American currency, back a few years ago, when our dollar was worth slightly more than a peso, I'd find am American penny and cut off limbs of others to get at it first. Nowadays, it's just interesting, and yeah, it works in our vending machines. Usually.

Hockey? Hockey is made of win. It takes a bit to get used to it and follow it properly, but it's interesting and fun. And, with the fights, technically, they're allowed to break it up and just send them to the penalty box, but often that just means a bigger fight later and suspensions tossed around. So watching them beat the crap out of each other is fun.

Penguinsushi
2007-07-19, 01:06 PM
...people go to see the wreck/fight and not the game.

"Did you see the fight last night? In the 2nd period, all of a sudden a hockey game broke out..."

:smallbiggrin:

~PS

Cyrano
2007-07-19, 01:07 PM
"Did you see the fight last night? In the 2nd period, all of a sudden a hockey game broke out..."

:smallbiggrin:

~PS

That would be funny if it had any basis in fact.
There's NEVER a game on.

mudbunny
2007-07-19, 01:10 PM
Quebec isn't East Canada. *chuckle* That'd be my place. And, to be honest, I've gotta reccomend the Maritimes as a good place to be. All we do is drink, smoke pot and party. Low crime, lots of nature, low cost of living...

Yeah, but the snow-storms that dump 10 feet of snow, combined with a language that pretends to be english, but really isn't makes it a bit less appealing.

Come to Ottawa, the town that fun forgot. Get a job in the comforting embrace of the federal government, suckling at the teat of the public.

Hockey? Hockey is made of win. It takes a bit to get used to it and follow it properly, but it's interesting and fun. And, with the fights, technically, they're allowed to break it up and just send them to the penalty box, but often that just means a bigger fight later and suspensions tossed around. So watching them beat the crap out of each other is fun.

Don't forget the fact that, sucker punches aside, the majority of fights are between people who want to fight each other. One player makes the indication that he wants to fight, but before there is a fight, the other needs to accept.

Bariko
2007-07-19, 01:16 PM
Yeah, but the snow-storms that dump 10 feet of snow, combined with a language that pretends to be english, but really isn't makes it a bit less appealing.

Come to Ottawa, the town that fun forgot. Get a job in the comforting embrace of the federal government, suckling at the teat of the public.

Don't forget the fact that, sucker punches aside, the majority of fights are between people who want to fight each other. One player makes the indication that he wants to fight, but before there is a fight, the other needs to accept.

Well, hang on now. No painting the Maritimes with Newfoundland stereotypes now. We speak English, consarn it. They're the ones with "What're you at?" and "Where ya to?" Also, all Newfie jokes aside, George Street. They have George Street.

I'm a New Brunswicker, the province that everyone forgot. But, I've gotta admit, I love it here.

North
2007-07-19, 01:18 PM

We are just as fanatic. But we are not as violent. Well mostly.

I DO have a question though. Can you see your dog running away for days over there, or does the natural curvation of the earth prevent that?

Ah that is a problem in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. But Alberta with the adjacent Rocky Mountains is still bumpy. So we dont have that feat here.

Do you ever get America currency in your change?

And if so, does it work in your vending machines?

Because I always was annoyed when I had exact change for a soda only to find a Canadian nickel in my change.

Yes although it is rare. I do recall the last time I bought a pop(hehe soda) I was able to use an american quarter. But not the dimes.

The players who fight are penalized. And a single penalty can alter the course of an entire game. When theres only five men on the ice losing one guy is a 20% loss in players. There are very large reprecussions.

I have never had a problem seeing this puck. The puck is black thats why the ice is white.

And the fluidity of the sport is why we like it so much. WE got! THEY GOT IT? NOO. WE GOT IT BACK! YES. In a way its akin to a soccer. Except faster paced and more awesome. Much more awesome.

Hockey, Beer and Redheads are proof that there is a God and that God wants us to be happy

Indurain
2007-07-19, 02:23 PM

Here's the biggest misconception about Canada I think. Offended? No. We celebrated the South Park movie. That movie didn't make fun of Canada, it celebrated our philosophies and (ahem) culture. If anything, we should be turning around and asking that question to the Americans.

Though, a lot of Americans perhaps haven't realised that they're the ones being made fun of in that movie.

Fun side note: MuchMoreMusic Profile on the Tragically Hip on right now!! Wooo!!

Raven T.
2007-07-19, 05:17 PM
Hockey, Beer and Redheads are proof that there is a God and that God wants us to be happy

I've heard a rumor that in about 20 years or so, the Redhead may become extinct due to the recessive gene being bred out of people.

Orzel
2007-07-19, 05:22 PM
Which city should us New Yorkers move to, conquer, and transform when the time comes? Our city's getting too crazy.

Pyre
2007-07-19, 06:12 PM
"There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio."

See, I liked Canada until now.

Cyrano
2007-07-19, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Glug;2904917]There's a song here at the top of the charts called "umbrella" where a lady sing about her brolly. The lyrics go "Umberella ella ella eh eh" and every time I hear it I think how nice it is to hear a proud Canadian on the radio. QUOTE]

See, I liked Canada until now.

See my post.
I entirely agree with that. HOWEVER, we have OTHER good stuff! Neil Young! Arcade Fire! Tragically Hip! Arcade Fire! Arcade Fire! Arca- woops. Yeah, them.
We also have about 75% of all celebrities, you guys just brand them american and they go along with it because they're too polite.

Orzel
2007-07-19, 06:21 PM
But Rihanna is hot somewhat. I hate the song though.

The only reason why I hate the song is remind me of 2 of my ex girlfriends and the intimate relations I'm not having.

Avril reminds me of other ex. And Nickelback another.

Why do you people make catchy songs?

Nomrom
2007-07-19, 06:33 PM
See my post.
I entirely agree with that. HOWEVER, we have OTHER good stuff! Neil Young! Arcade Fire! Tragically Hip! Arcade Fire! Arcade Fire! Arca- woops. Yeah, them.
We also have about 75% of all celebrities, you guys just brand them american and they go along with it because they're too polite.

I love Neil Young. And had no idea he was Canadian. How's that for stealing your celebrities? Actually, I don't really like him anymore. Only his old stuff.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-19, 07:30 PM
The thing about hockey is that it's much easier to follow live than on TV. At least I find it easier. I wasn't a hockey fan until I actually went to a game. Also, there is something very satisfying in being part of a howling, bloodthirsty mob and watching hockey is a much more socially acceptable than breaking out the torches and pitchforks.

FdL
2007-07-19, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Pyre;2907152]

See my post.

Arcade Fire?? Oh yeah, Arcade Fire are Canadian! = WIN.

Also Neil Young, totally. And The Band too, kinda.

Edit: Kinda Canadian, not "kinda win".

KoDT69
2007-07-19, 08:57 PM
AH a popular misconception. The majority of Canadians dont actually say "aboot".

But when you say soda instead of pop that cracks us all up.

hehehe Soda....lols

Actually, it depends on which region of the USA you're from. in Ohio we also say pop and laugh at those that say soda. We have this same discussion between my workplace, and it's sister branch in Boston, MA. We laugh at each other every time we have lunch together.

Here's the biggest misconception about Canada I think. Offended? No. We celebrated the South Park movie. That movie didn't make fun of Canada, it celebrated our philosophies and (ahem) culture. If anything, we should be turning around and asking that question to the Americans.

Though, a lot of Americans perhaps haven't realised that they're the ones being made fun of in that movie.

Wait a minute, Trey Parker is no racist or whatever, he makes fun of EVERYBODY! I am very familiar with his work and know he makes fun of every single thing about even our own communities that is wrong or needing improvement. I realize that the USA has many problems, but so does every other country in the world. I will remain patriotic anyway. I'm not too proud to laugh at my own country :smallbiggrin:

As for little miss hottie Rihanna? Nuh-uh. You Canadians can't claim her, she's from the Carribean. I will however, offer the return of Celine Dion again! :smallsmile: I'm not a sports fan in the least, but I can tolerate hockey more than a lot of other stuff like baseball or football. Sorry fellow American sports fans, I'm just not into it. :smalleek:

zeratul
2007-07-19, 08:59 PM
To be fair we make fun of people who say pop. We think it sounds like you're from the 70's.

Daiyanissa
2007-07-19, 09:14 PM

Move next to a Tim Hortons

psychoticbarber
2007-07-19, 10:16 PM
Another question: I never understood the fascination with hockey. I find it a difficult sport to follow, much less get into. By follow, I mean, you can't see the bloody puck and the camera's going everywhere, possession is changing constantly so you don't know if you're cheering at the right time.

To be fair to you, this probably isn't your fault. American camera operators doing hockey are made of lose and suck.

To quote Mike MacDonald (great comedian)

So I was watching hockey on the Fox Network. The cameras are a beat behind the action. It's like..

(As the Announcer): "He scores!"
(Cameraman): "****!" (He mimes spinning the camera)

If you could get CBC's Hockey Night in Canada feeds. Hell, even TSN feeds, you would probably have an easier time watching the action.

To address some other questions (from my point of view):

We don't say "aboot", you say "A-bayut".

Curling is awesome. It's hard to understand, and it's way, way harder than it looks. If you don't understand curling, that's cool, but don't expect me to ever understand NASCAR.

American beer, to quote a famous Canadian, is like making love in a canoe. Its... Basically pointless. What did you think I was going to say?:smallbiggrin: .

The battle of New Orleans was the only battle in the War of 1812 that the British decisively lost, and it happened after the treaty was signed because nobody told the generals down there. I personally call the war a wasted 2 years, nobody really got anywhere, but if we each keep believing our own delusions about our own superiority, at least we'll feel better.

Canada rocks. As does curling (pardon the pun, eh?). America is in a bad spot right now, but I know that the vast majority of you are decent people.

I love my country, and I think Quebec should be a part of it, and Alberta, and all of it, because we're lessened without the rest of you. Hell, without the other provinces, I'd basically be living in one of the many, many suburbs of Toronto. (Which incidentally unites all Canadians. Toronto unites us in our hatred of Toronto. Unless you're from Toronto, and then you feel you are Toronto. :smallbiggrin: No offense to Torontonians, I don't mean it.)

I'm proud to say it: I AM CANADIAN!

Mr. Moon
2007-07-20, 11:09 AM

Visit the West Coast in the Summer. From what I hear, it's very hot and dry. Or Ontario in the Summer. Or anywhere else in the summer. It all depends upon how humid you like it.

If you decide to live here, try to get a home in either of the maritimes. The summer is cooler and the winter is warmer in those areas.

Midnight Son
2007-07-20, 11:31 AM
Visit the West Coast in the Summer. From what I hear, it's very hot and dry. Or Ontario in the Summer. Or anywhere else in the summer. It all depends upon how humid you like it.

If you decide to live here, try to get a home in either of the maritimes. The summer is cooler and the winter is warmer in those areas.Were you being sarcastic or something there. I can't tell. The west coast is very wet and temperate from Oregon through Southeast Alaska. You'd need to head inland a bit to get the dryer climates.

Mr. Moon
2007-07-20, 11:34 AM
Most of the year, yes, but in the summer it's dry as heck.

Midnight Son
2007-07-20, 11:41 AM
Most of the year, yes, but in the summer it's dry as heck.To quote my dad, "Yes it is. All two weeks of it."

Do you live there, cause I grew up in Southeast Alaska and traveled up and down that coast quite a bit. I do not recall ever seeing dry and hot. Come out here to Utah and I'll show you the meaning of dry and hot.

Mr. Moon
2007-07-20, 11:45 AM
Where I live is striclty need-to-know, sorry.

I did spend a year there, though. And plus, with all the forest fires you hear on the news during summer, it's a fairly safe asumption.

Midnight Son
2007-07-20, 11:52 AM
Where I live is striclty need-to-know, sorry.

I did spend a year there, though. And plus, with all the forest fires you hear on the news during summer, it's a fairly safe asumption.Actually, I imagine you'd find any place on earth to be dry and hot, seeing as you're on Pluto.:smallbiggrin:

That must have been a strange year. The Pacific Northwest is a rain forest and is almost always humid and fairly temperate(depending on how far north). Forest fires happen, no matter how humid the air. Yes, the rain helps put them out, but they are a fact of life anywhere you have a few trees congregating.

Telonius
2007-07-20, 12:01 PM
The battle of New Orleans was the only battle in the War of 1812 that the British decisively lost, and it happened after the treaty was signed because nobody told the generals down there. I personally call the war a wasted 2 years, nobody really got anywhere, but if we each keep believing our own delusions about our own superiority, at least we'll feel better.

Sorry, but I have to call you on that one. The US decisively won the Battle of Lake Erie, September 10, 1813. (My hometown built the US fleet - woohoo, Erie pride!). But otherwise, yes, New Orleans was the only major land battle we won in that war.

Mr. Moon
2007-07-20, 12:21 PM
Actually, I imagine you'd find any place on earth to be dry and hot, seeing as you're on Pluto.:smallbiggrin:

Well, I was going to enter my home planet or Xarkon 5, but then the Elders would vaporize me. :smallwink:

psychoticbarber
2007-07-20, 02:57 PM
Sorry, but I have to call you on that one. The US decisively won the Battle of Lake Erie, September 10, 1813. (My hometown built the US fleet - woohoo, Erie pride!). But otherwise, yes, New Orleans was the only major land battle we won in that war.

I take my defeats gracefully :smallbiggrin:. I haven't studied the War of 1812 since grade 7, but you're right, you owned us on the water for half the war. Which was impressive, considering the British pride in their Navy

Raven T.
2007-07-20, 05:39 PM
Just because Britain took great pride in their navy doesn't mean that they brought their best to bear in the Lakes. After all, this was before any means to effectively (I think; I could be talking out my [expletive deleted] here) get warships past Niagara Falls.

Of course, I also grew up around Erie. I just wonder if we faced the pride of the Royal Navy.

Orzel
2007-07-20, 05:42 PM
I need my question answered, Canada.

Me and my mob got our sticks and need to know if Toronto is worth conquering and if it has exploding water pipes. Or should we conquer elsewhere.

Cyrano
2007-07-20, 06:07 PM

Me and my mob got our sticks and need to know if Toronto is worth conquering and if it has exploding water pipes. Or should we conquer elsewhere.

Well, yes, but if cities were people, imagine this:

New York = Wealthy "Nice Jewish Boy"

Montreal = Wealthy Nightclub Goer/Dancer

London = Vaguely confusing, well dressed, pretentious, Wealthy.

Toronto = Natiily dressed and boring.

Why not conquer, say, oh, anywhere else?

psychoticbarber
2007-07-20, 07:29 PM
Just because Britain took great pride in their navy doesn't mean that they brought their best to bear in the Lakes. After all, this was before any means to effectively (I think; I could be talking out my [expletive deleted] here) get warships past Niagara Falls.

Of course, I also grew up around Erie. I just wonder if we faced the pride of the Royal Navy.

I'm not positive that this is correct, but I recall that the Chesapeake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Chesapeake_(1799)) was the first American ship the British captured in the War of 1812. In May of 1813. Here's the chronology of the war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_War_of_1812).

The Brits didn't capture an American ship until MAY OF 1813. And that was in the Atlantic, where the good ships could be brought to bear. The Treaty of Ghent really says it all, though. Nobody won anything, except the Brits a little more respect for the Americans and the Americans a reminder that they weren't the only big player out there.

Edit: I remember in History class in grade 7 that the textbook had said something along the lines of "The capture of the Chesapeake was the first victory against the seemingly unstoppable American Navy".. we were in it bad until then, haha.

Edit x2: It feels really strange to be saying "No, no, you guys were kicking our *ahem* 'rear ends' for awhile there." :smallbiggrin:

phoenixineohp
2007-07-21, 02:37 AM

Your mob may come into Toronto with their sticks, but Toronto will just absorb you and give your mob 'proper' hockey sticks out of pity. As a mob body, it will be assumed that you are a unique and cohesive group from another place, just like everyone else. This will result in your attack being interpreted as a cultural activity, native to your people. Your arrival will result in everyone politely ignoring you, out of respect for your 'culture', and you will get a funding grant from the Ministry of Culture. Additionally, you will a block in the suburbs to call your own (complete with 27 Tim Hortons), a spot in the local hockey tournament, and you will be taxed so you contribute to the fund to fix our water mains and transit system. Have fun. :smallwink:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-07-21, 02:43 AM
Your mob may come into Toronto with their sticks, but Toronto will just absorb you and give your mob 'proper' hockey sticks out of pity. As a mob body, it will be assumed that you are a unique and cohesive group from another place, just like everyone else. This will result in your attack being interpreted as a cultural activity, native to your people. Your arrival will result in everyone politely ignoring you, out of respect for your 'culture', and you will get a funding grant from the Ministry of Culture. Additionally, you will a block in the suburbs to call your own (complete with 27 Tim Hortons), a spot in the local hockey tournament, and you will be taxed so you contribute to the fund to fix our water mains and transit system. Have fun. :smallwink:

Sounds fun *grabs a stick*

Vonriel
2007-07-21, 02:47 AM
Aye. *joins the llama*

Edit: Oo, a question also. Do you guys get sold bottled water as well? Do you actually believe that it's from a "pure, natural spring"?

Orzel
2007-07-21, 02:51 AM

What I means as sticks I meant handguns and baseball bats.
We care little about hockey despite 2 pro teams
We don't even fix the water and transit we have now.
I'm just talking about the my mob, the Caribbean one. It's a 15 prong attack, one for each major culture of NYC. More if Rochester joins in.

psychoticbarber
2007-07-21, 09:47 AM
Edit: Oo, a question also. Do you guys get sold bottled water as well? Do you actually believe that it's from a "pure, natural spring"?

I don't, but I drink the tapwater, so the chemistry of my brain may be irrevocably altered.. :smallwink:

Tom_Violence
2007-07-21, 12:22 PM
Where are you from?

phoenixineohp
2007-07-21, 03:02 PM
What I means as sticks I meant handguns and baseball bats.
We care little about hockey despite 2 pro teams
We don't even fix the water and transit we have now.
I'm just talking about the my mob, the Caribbean one. It's a 15 prong attack, one for each major culture of NYC. More if Rochester joins in.

Well, in that case...

Leave the guns, you won't get into the country with them. The baseball bats could be handy, the Jays could use your help. Though you will probably end up with hockey sticks even faster if you are carrying other sports equipment. When you enter Canada, a magical thing will happen and you will start to care and a lot of different things, thing you may not have given any thought about before. Roads, trees, when the last pot of coffee was put on, that sort of thing. :smallwink:

As for your mob, I stand by my previous statement. However, you may want to hurry so you can get here in time. (http://www.torontotourism.com/Inspiration/InspirationFestivals/Caribana.htm)

On the serious side, I just did a huge project on bottled water for my ecology class. Nestle actually bottles from a 'spring' that is a watershed in my town. This is not a good thing, and the project we all did was to prove that. However, in a cruddy twist of fate, the water in my house is soft water. That's not good stuff for people to drink, and it tastes horrible. So I end up using 15 L bottles of water through a dispenser. >.<

Other bits of trivia:

- Tim Hortons sells their own label of bottled water. Seriously, the company fuels our work force and probably provides the only food some people eat. I may know this from too much experience. :smalleek:

- Toronto has had a huge debate, over the last several years, about bottling their water and selling it. So far that debate has been quenched. :smallwink:

Mr. Moon
2007-07-21, 10:39 PM

Of course we do. I can't speak for the rest of the nation, but I perfer the tap stuff. Bottled stuff tastes nasty.

As for PoP: That may be true... But then, we may be to polite to do so, and quietly ask "Excuse me, would you please stop destroying my water source?". ^_^

reorith
2007-07-22, 12:48 AM
is it true the milk in canada comes in bags?
edit: and can i get a pic of a bag of milk?

Hell Puppi
2007-07-22, 12:50 AM
They do...I know this from Living with a Canadian...they come in plastic bags that remind me of blood donation =P

Amotis
2007-07-22, 12:59 AM

Haha, win. :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2007-07-22, 01:00 AM
http://www.canadian.../?p=952 (http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/?p=952) (just for those that like my one link posts)

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-22, 04:07 AM
Oddly enough, we don't get our milk in bags.

mikoto
2007-07-22, 09:56 AM

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7546/milkmo6.jpg

KoDT69
2007-07-22, 10:13 AM
Tim Hortons sells their own label of bottled water. Seriously, the company fuels our work force and probably provides the only food some people eat. I may know this from too much experience. :smalleek:

OK seriously, what's the deal with Tim Horton's? I took my wife to Windsor, Canada 7 years ago and we literally saw 21 tim Horton's on the same 17 block drive. We only made one right turn, and there was literally a Tim Horton's directly across the street from another one in 2 places, and 2 more were across the street but separated by maybe 2 buildings :smallconfused:

After day 2 we were on our way home and decided we HAD to stop at one to see for ourselves why the heck there were so many of them. At that time the exchange rate was pretty good in our favor, so we got a dozen donut holes, 2 small tart pie thingies, and drinks for like US $2.20 roundabouts. On another TH note, there are a few of them now in Columbus, Ohio and they almost had one in North Canton, Ohio which is like 30 mins northwest from my town. I was actually hoping cuz my wife and I like Tim Horton's. I saved the TimBits box from that trip :smalltongue:

Bariko
2007-07-22, 11:08 AM
Tim Horton's is our life blood. They bake good stuff, but the real use is in the morning. I've seen Tim's with line ups in the drive through for coffe that wrap around an entire block.

Also, I buy cartons of milk. Nuts to the bags.

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-22, 11:16 AM
But I love the bags. They seem to last longer, for some reason, and they're fun, for some odd reason. And they're definitely less unwieldy than jugs.

After day 2 we were on our way home and decided we HAD to stop at one to see for ourselves why the heck there were so many of them. At that time the exchange rate was pretty good in our favor, so we got a dozen donut holes, 2 small tart pie thingies, and drinks for like US $2.20 roundabouts. On another TH note, there are a few of them now in Columbus, Ohio and they almost had one in North Canton, Ohio which is like 30 mins northwest from my town. I was actually hoping cuz my wife and I like Tim Horton's. I saved the TimBits box from that trip :smalltongue:

Ooh! You had butter tarts? I love those things. They might be my favourite all-Canadian food. (Though I'm told the Scottish make them too...nuts to them)

zeratul
2007-07-22, 11:21 AM
(question) Do you guys honestly believe that Avril's music is punk?

Penguinizer
2007-07-22, 11:21 AM
Lets see, Finland has some awesome stuff too >.>

*Is totally un-biased*

We got Finnish Squeaky Cheese!!!

Jibar
2007-07-22, 11:30 AM

Her second album had traces of punk in there, however faint.

By the way, thank you for bringing her into this world Canada.

zeratul
2007-07-22, 11:33 AM
Her second album had traces of punk in there, however faint.

By the way, thank you for bring her into this world Canada.

She is my only problem with canada.

reorith
2007-07-22, 12:00 PM
She is my only problem with canada.

you don't have a problem with them stockpiling glaciers?

Bariko
2007-07-22, 12:01 PM

Oi! You're not supposed to know about those...

zeratul
2007-07-22, 12:03 PM

Bear in mind I don't know mutch about Canada. I just know it's awesome.

FdL
2007-07-22, 01:56 PM

Hey, I think that's not so weird. In my country we have
"milk in bags" too. But we call it "sachet". Probably from french, too lazy to check it (90% sure, in any case).

Talya
2007-07-22, 02:12 PM
Two Canadian artists who are superior to others mentioned here, and don't get as much publicity:

Loreena McKennitt
Sarah McLachlan

Tim Horton's, thanks to the late Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame, is now all over Ohio, as well as making inroads in a number of other states.

Lastly, I'd like it said that I fully support Global Warming. I can see the future advertisements:

"The sunny, coastal city of Toronto is the tropical vacation spot, year round! Enjoy your margaritas on the warm Canadian beaches, snorkel through the refreshing, warm waters of the Quebatic Ocean, see the wonderful St. Lawrence Coral Reefs!"

Damn. I'm going to go idle my car for an hour. Be back later.

Burrito
2007-07-22, 09:26 PM
Ah, yes. That is why I am glad I live in Northern Minnesota (Duluth). Best of both worlds. We all say Eh? I get to drink Canadian and American beer. And with so many microbrews out there you can't really say American beer sucks. Hockey (Go Wild!) and curling is everywhere up here. We have to Share Lake superior, but then we also have to share North Dakota, so that evens it out.
You guys have the Quetico and we have the BWCA. Both awesome.
Mayo is good on lots of stuff, and so is vinegar! Maple syrup is okay, but I would prefer blueberry.
It doesn't matter so much anymore, but we used to take Canadian money on par with US. Nice way to get all the folks from Thunder Bay to come down and spend lots of money. We are like 3 hours from the border, but I see Ontario plates all the time on cars.

Red Green for President!!!

Nomrom
2007-07-22, 10:11 PM
*snip*
We have to Share Lake superior, but then we also have to share North Dakota, so that evens it out.
*snip*

Actually, Canada can have North Dakota. Seriously, what does it do except make our border straight. You can have Alaska too. Then we can cut California into three so that we still have fifty states. With this, Texas will then be the biggest and most populous state in the Union. Everybody wins! Except California.

Alarra
2007-07-22, 11:12 PM
Oooh, yes. That's a good idea. What is North Dakota good for anyway? Well, I mean, there's a pretty national park. Hmm....let's keep moving the border down and they can take South Dakota too, then I can be an actual Canadian instead of an honorary one. :smallwink:

Bariko
2007-07-22, 11:16 PM
That's our secret. We make you honorary members before we take you. I myself have several "honorary" members in many states. *chuckle*

Bookman
2007-07-22, 11:21 PM
I have a theory. Canadian's cannot actually exist outside of Canada but those who leave the country are given the ability to project a 200ft radius of Canada around them. Currently scientists are searching for a way to increase this to several miles so that when the Canadians form in the right order they will take over the entire world making it Canada.

The side effects of this radius involve, diarehha, upset stomach, the tendency to say eh, and a deep craving for maple syrup

Nomrom
2007-07-22, 11:33 PM
I must let you know that any attempt to turn the world into Canada will not go easily. We will resist you.

Also, Canada can't have South Dakota, because we want to keep Mt. Rushmore.

Alarra
2007-07-22, 11:40 PM
It's movable, didn't you know? I mean, North Dakota tries to steal it so that they can have a little bit of a tourism industry, at least twice a year. We usually get it back in a week or so though. We'll put it in Nebraska. Don't they want a rock with faces on it?

(And if you haven't read 'The Areas of My Expertise" by John Hodgman, you should....This is related, I swear, as he discusses North Dakota's jealousy of our rock carving ability. :smalltongue: )

zeratul
2007-07-22, 11:59 PM
It's movable, didn't you know? I mean, North Dakota tries to steal it so that they can have a little bit of a tourism industry, at least twice a year. We usually get it back in a week or so though. We'll put it in Nebraska. Don't they want a rock with faces on it?

(And if you haven't read 'The Areas of My Expertise" by John Hodgman, you should....This is related, I swear, as he discusses North Dakota's jealousy of our rock carving ability. :smalltongue: )

Alarra, you've been moved up to 9 kinds of awesome for mentioning Areas of my expertise.

Nomrom
2007-07-23, 12:00 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot it could be moved around. Well, if you decide to leave with North Dakota, I can assure you that we in Texas will be perfectly happy to have it.

Midnight Son
2007-07-23, 12:12 AM
Can't have Alaska either. We prefer to keep our salmon not fished to the brink of extinction, thank you. Ever wonder why your restaurant never serves fresh Canadian King Salmon? I'll give you a hint. They eated it all and now they want ours.

Nomrom
2007-07-23, 12:22 AM
Well, that will actually fit our plans. Since it appears South Dakota will follow North Dakota to Canada, Alaska can stay. Otherwise, California would have to be four parts and that's a little extreme, even for me. Instead, we will split it in half, Alaska too. That way Texas still becomes the biggest state. Texas will also take Mt. Rushmore.

Vonriel
2007-07-23, 12:25 AM
I say we split texas in half, since it's bigger than California. *ducks*

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-23, 12:30 AM
If you split Alaska in half, Texas would become the third largest state.

Nomrom
2007-07-23, 12:43 AM
Crap, Wikipedia confirms that Alaska is more than twice the size of Texas. It appears that my plan is beginning to fall apart around me. Unless I can find another state to cede to Canada, and thus split Alaska into three equal parts which would than all be smaller than Texas.
Vonriel, I believe that would actually make my plan more difficult.

Krursk
2007-07-23, 02:52 AM
Well, Texas could just assimilate one of it's neighbouring states and then split Alaska into three

Catch
2007-07-23, 07:20 AM
Crap, Wikipedia confirms that Alaska is more than twice the size of Texas. It appears that my plan is beginning to fall apart around me. Unless I can find another state to cede to Canada, and thus split Alaska into three equal parts which would than all be smaller than Texas.
Vonriel, I believe that would actually make my plan more difficult.

You could always take the rest of Mexico.

Call it "Manifest Destiny," like the last time.

phoenixineohp
2007-07-23, 10:32 AM

No.

And if anyone thinks yes, then I will introduce them to Tim Armstrong.

Then again, he just paired with Skye Sweetnam, a creature I consider worse than Avril, so I'm suspicious of him. *Shudders* Well... I'll just pass them some Sex pistols and slap them a few times. That should work.:smallwink:

Really, I just think I am still angry that she was designed to take my style and my friends style, ( who were actual punks,m goths, rockers and mixed versions) and paired it with pop. I give her makers credit for creating an almost respectable pop girl look, no 'slave for you' video and such. But man, I miss my ties.

I have a theory. Canadian's cannot actually exist outside of Canada but those who leave the country are given the ability to project a 200ft radius of Canada around them. Currently scientists are searching for a way to increase this to several miles so that when the Canadians form in the right order they will take over the entire world making it Canada.

The side effects of this radius involve, diarehha, upset stomach, the tendency to say eh, and a deep craving for maple syrup

That really makes me want to roll a 'Canadian' character. :smalltongue:

And for all this state trading talk, Alaska should be ours. It makes no sense geographically. And getting Maine back would be a nice little hostess gift at the next governmental meet up. But, it's okay if you guys want to keep it. Then we don't have to deal with Martha Stewart more. :smallwink:

Rare Pink Leech
2007-07-23, 12:36 PM
Hmm, really long post. Sorry, but I really want to comment on a lot of stuff :smallredface:

I wasn’t aware this was a Canadian thing … I always thought it was Dutch. Poutine, on the other hand ….

It’s so weird to hear someone refer to the Hip as indie … in Canada, they are rock gods. GODS I tell you, GODS.

I actually have no clue what American Cheese is, although I’ve heard of it. I have never heard of Canadian Cheese, nor do I know what plastic cheese is. The only thing I can think of is processed cheese. Am I close?

I wasn’t aware it was physically possible to share a southern border with yourself :smalltongue:

You could become a reverse Snowbird (a term for Canadians who live in warmer climates, stereotypically Florida, for the winter) and move to Toronto, where I live. Summer temperatures typically hover around 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees Fahrenheit), and that’s without the humiditiy. Add that in, and you’re well into the 40s (104+ degrees Fahrenheit).

If by accident, you mean the 11-year-old boy who was killed on the weekend in Toronto when he was caught in the crossfire of a gang shootout, then yes.

No, the Hockey Night in Canada theme song is.

I’d say it’s somewhat regional. It’s definitely more pronounced in people from the Maritimes, but I notice that people tend to slip it in quietly without realizing it more often than you’d think.

Edit: Also, talking about war sucks. Nobody wants to have a war with anyone. Nobody cares who would win or who would side with whom. And past wars have been an awful mistake. Besides, it's impolite at the very least to talk about war against Canada when this thread is an invitation from a Canadian to talk about his country and culture. :smallannoyed:

Pfft, we all know that any landed invasion force in Canada would be pretty quickly repelled by the States, if for no other reason than the States wouldn’t want a hostile force sitting on their northern border. No, I’m no really that cynical, yes, I am serious. Talk about strained Canadian-American (or should that be American-Canadian? :smalltongue: ) political relations all you want, they would come to our aid instantly.

Never! Unless you let us take back some of our hockey teams, in which case I think there's enough on the table to start a dialogue.

No, but hearing Americans talk about it cracks us up. We don’t actually say aboot, we still say (and hear) about. Ask a Canadian to actually say aboot once, then say about. You’ll hear a difference.

My cousin has taken lessons in American pronunciation (being an aspiring actor), and says he can definitely hear why American hear aboot … apparently Canadians say it quicker and with a narrower mouth.

Alberta doesnt try to seperate from the rest of Canada.

Ooh! Burn!

Depends. Is football a religion in the UK?

It’s always so easy to spot the American in a crowd at a sports bar … he’s the one who asks where the puck is. Most people I know have absolutely no trouble see the puck … we must just be used to it.

As to why Canadians love hockey … we just do. Why do Americans love baseball?

Pfft, Canada needs Toronto a lot more than Toronto needs Canada :P Case in point: Most of our tax dollars go elsewhere, which is why we are always fighting to get a few more scraps from the federal government :smallwink:

Well, you’d have an easier time conquering other cities if only for the fact that there would be less people. We are the biggest city in Canada, after all (and interestingly enough, we would be one of the largest in the States too … I saw a list of Canadian and American cities by population once, and I’m pretty sure Toronto just made it into the top ten).

Ah, yes. That is why I am glad I live in Northern Minnesota (Duluth). Best of both worlds. We all say Eh? I get to drink Canadian and American beer. And with so many microbrews out there you can't really say American beer sucks.

Hear, hear! I'm sad that American microbrew beer isn't easily available, because there's a lot I'd really love to try. I, at least realize that it’s only American commercial beer that sucks, because, quite frankly, Canadian commercial beer has just as much suckage.

Oooh, yes. That's a good idea. What is North Dakota good for anyway? Well, I mean, there's a pretty national park. Hmm....let's keep moving the border down and they can take South Dakota too, then I can be an actual Canadian instead of an honorary one. :smallwink:

If you want to be a real Honourary Canadian, you have to spell honourary with a “u”. If you don’t, then we just tell you that you’re an Honourary Canadian to make you feel good about yourself because you’re “special” ;)

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-23, 01:09 PM
If you want to be a real Honourary Canadian, you have to spell honourary with a “u”. If you don’t, then we just tell you that you’re an Honourary Canadian to make you feel good about yourself because you’re “special” ;)

Check your dictionary. "Honorary" is correct. Even if it is only honourable. Canadian spelling = weird.

Seriously, I was surprised too. It makes no sense...but then I'm the one giving out these awards. I had to make sure they were correct.

Vonriel
2007-07-23, 01:15 PM
Isn't "colorful" also correct, along with "armory"? Ok, so I just made the last one up, but I'm pretty sure on the first. :smalltongue:

Ego Slayer
2007-07-23, 01:19 PM
Isn't "colorful" also correct, along with "armory"? Ok, so I just made the last one up, but I'm pretty sure on the first. :smalltongue:
No, I think it's "colourful," and "armoury.":smallconfused:

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-23, 01:22 PM
I went to the armoury to get some armour where I received an honorary honourable honour because I fought with valorous valour. It was a medal of colourful colours.

I smelled an odorous odour as I went to the counselling counsellor for some counsel. It was a while before I realized this.

:smallconfused:

Jibar
2007-07-23, 01:25 PM
Okay, at least Americans mess up completely with their spellings.
Canadians seem to be like those kids who climb all the way up to the high dive, look down, and then spend the next half an hour to convice themselves to jump.

FdL
2007-07-23, 01:29 PM
Two Canadian artists who are superior to others mentioned here, and don't get as much publicity:

Loreena McKennitt
Sarah McLachlan

Well, I like Sarah McLachlan. I'm aware that she's canadian, but I didn't mention her because somehow it's not "hip" :p (yeah, as if mentioning Neil Young made you hip :) though it should!!!)

Nah, actually I haven't listened to a lot of her later stuff. But she's light years beyond Avril Lavigne *shudder*. Nothing positive to say about Lavigne.

Jayabalard
2007-07-23, 01:29 PM
No, it's just that I don't know them :p I'll do some research.Oddly enough, I happened to be surfing around youtube watching some A Capella stuff and was just watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtPkDhM1Brs)

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-23, 01:30 PM
Okay, at least Americans mess up completely with their spellings.
Canadians seem to be like those kids who climb all the way up to the high dive, look down, and then spend the next half an hour to convice themselves to jump.
They only changed certain of the Latinate words to the French spellings because they wanted to pretend to be French. We're just victims of a genuine corrupting influence.

Jibar
2007-07-23, 01:36 PM
They only changed certain of the Latinate words to the French spellings because they wanted to pretend to be French. We're just victims of a genuine corrupting influence.

Don't worry. When the new Empire is made, the French will be dealt with.
Whether by our government or our people.
Then we will control the channel.

Nothing positive to say about Lavigne.

:smallfrown:
Why does nobody I know seem to like Ms Lavigne?

Jensik
2007-07-23, 01:38 PM
So yeah, late 2008... let's say November-ish... A decision will be made as to whether or not I move to Canada. I have no say in this decision. Well, I do get a say... but so does everyone else that is a registered voter.

This presents a problem. I have it on good authority that the French language is spoken in some areas as commonly, and in some cases more commonly, than English.

My question is this: Where is the optimal location for minimal exposure to the French language AND where I won't freeze my nips off?

EDIT: And yes, the Dutch DO eat their fries with mayo. Yes, I am part Dutch. And yes, I have been known to dip fries in mayo. Let the record stand, however, that I much prefer ranch.

draca
2007-07-23, 01:42 PM
No, I think it's "colourful," and "armoury.":smallconfused:

It depends. I got marked off once on a spelling test (way back in elementary school) for spelling "colour" exactly as I'd read it in a book. After a good half an hour worth of quality argue-with-teacher time I was told that "colour" is proper in England (and just about everywhere else that English is written) and that color, and all those words where we drop the u, are the "correct" way to spell them in America. Weird, huh?

Coincidentally, this is when I officially stopped giving a damn about how to spell things. Luckily, I also had access to computers with spell-checkers soon after in school.

Chunklets
2007-07-23, 01:42 PM
My question is this: Where is the optimal location for minimal exposure to the French language AND where I won't freeze my nips off?

Lower mainland British Columbia, probably.

Jensik
2007-07-23, 01:45 PM
Lower mainland British Columbia, probably.

I thank you for the suggestion but I may have to go somewhere else based on the name alone. Too culturally confused. It's called "British Columbia" even though it is not located in neither Europe nor South America. Those poor people...

zeratul
2007-07-23, 01:47 PM
If by accident, you mean the 11-year-old boy who was killed on the weekend in Toronto when he was caught in the crossfire of a gang shootout, then yes.

no I meant like hunting accidents.

draca
2007-07-23, 02:03 PM
I thank you for the suggestion but I may have to go somewhere else based on the name alone. Too culturally confused. It's called "British Columbia" even though it is not located in neither Europe nor South America. Those poor people...

Ah, but in it's favor, it contains Vancover, where several actually good TV series have been shot (including the x-files and Dead like Me). It's like the mini-Hollywood of non-cruddy programming of the north. It is also day-trip range to Seattle, which is the glassblowing capitol of the world.

Feast your eyes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Vancouver_television_series)

mudbunny
2007-07-23, 02:03 PM

Thank you are pretty much SOL. Everywhere else in Canada will, at some point in the year, result in you wearing winter clothing long enough that you should, in the words of Dogbert "Bring ID so that you remember what sex you are."

Rare Pink Leech
2007-07-23, 02:05 PM
Check your dictionary. "Honorary" is correct. Even if it is only honourable. Canadian spelling = weird.

Seriously, I was surprised too. It makes no sense...but then I'm the one giving out these awards. I had to make sure they were correct.

Wow, so I fail at being both a Canadian and an English student who prides himself on his good spelling. Thanks for ruining my day :smallwink:

To avoid exposure to French, settle in pretty much any province other than Quebec or New Brunswick.

Chunklets
2007-07-23, 02:10 PM
To avoid exposure to French, settle in pretty much any province other than Quebec or New Brunswick.

Certain parts of Alberta have very large Francophone populations as well, contrary to what one might expect (towns like St. Paul, etc.).

mudbunny
2007-07-23, 02:23 PM
Certain parts of Alberta have very large Francophone populations as well, contrary to what one might expect (towns like St. Paul, etc.).

As do Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.

Aramil Liadon
2007-07-23, 02:50 PM

I honestly thought this was a joke. What's so bad about french?

On another note, what's wrong with cold? It sucks, but without it there can be no snowboarding! No snowball fights! No snow forts! No backyard skating rinks!

Bariko
2007-07-23, 03:34 PM
Funny how things like that happen in a bilingual country. *chuckle*

FdL
2007-07-23, 03:52 PM
Ah, but in it's favor, it contains Vancover, where several actually good TV series have been shot (including the x-files and Dead like Me).

Oh, that series was Win. Rack another coolness point for Canada.

Jensik
2007-07-23, 05:17 PM
Ah, but in it's favor, it contains Vancover, where several actually good TV series have been shot (including the x-files and Dead like Me). It's like the mini-Hollywood of non-cruddy programming of the north. It is also day-trip range to Seattle, which is the glassblowing capitol of the world.

Close to Seattle, you say? Well now that is a favorable trait... and something I'm going to have to seriously consider.

Everywhere else in Canada will, at some point in the year, result in you wearing winter clothing long enough that you should, in the words of Dogbert "Bring ID so that you remember what sex you are."
As crappy as that sounds it's better than the alternative... trust me.

I honestly thought this was a joke. What's so bad about french?My motivations for avoiding French influences in Canada are based on personal prejudices. Ones that, I must add, I refuse to elaborate on... so don't ask.

On another note, what's wrong with cold? It sucks, but without it there can be no snowboarding! No snowball fights! No snow forts! No backyard skating rinks!I'm not a 'cold' kind of person. I've either lived in or spent an extended period of time in almost every climate there is, and cold is my least favorite. Desert is a close second. Ideal would be southern California in late Autumn, but that just isn't really an option at this point sadly. Next would be what I experienced during my previous trip to Seattle (hence my earlier excitement)

Yiel
2007-07-23, 06:30 PM
*snip*
:smallfrown:
Why does nobody I know seem to like Ms Lavigne?

She made it impossible for girls to wear ties for a few years without being called "Avril Clones". :smallsigh:

Talya
2007-07-23, 07:01 PM
She made it impossible for girls to wear ties for a few years without being called "Avril Clones". :smallsigh:

I only hate Avril because of the attention she gets, while Sarah McLachlan and Loreena McKennitt go unmentioned. It's like, "Survivor" and other crap reality TV programming get great ratings year after year, and really good shows like Firefly don't last a full season.

Alarra
2007-07-23, 07:03 PM
I love Sarah McLachlan. Avril, eh. Loreena McKennitt, I've not heard of.

Talya
2007-07-23, 07:15 PM

If you're not into the celtic folk genre, you probably haven't. Although you may recognize one song that got some radio play:

http://www.quinlanroad.com/audio/bookofsecrets/mummersdance.mp3

(That's direct from her recording company's website. You can get lots of sample music from Quinlan Road, actually. They're only partial songs though.)

Yiel
2007-07-23, 07:19 PM
Well I guess if we're talking about good Canadian musicians, I'm a fan of Ember Swift. I've seen her on a few of her visits to Australia now and every show has been great. :smallbiggrin: I went to one of her concerts on a first date with my partner. :smallsmile:

zeratul
2007-07-23, 07:21 PM
Billy Talent seems kinda cool. I know next to nothing about them though (only heard one song).

Alarra
2007-07-23, 07:43 PM
If you're not into the celtic folk genre, you probably haven't. Although you may recognize one song that got some radio play:

http://www.quinlanroad.com/audio/bookofsecrets/mummersdance.mp3

(That's direct from her recording company's website. You can get lots of sample music from Quinlan Road, actually. They're only partial songs though.)

Oooooh...I've always liked this song.

Raven T.
2007-07-23, 09:13 PM
Why are some of us trying to avoid the cold?

For me, it's fairly simple: I've lived near the shores of Lake Erie my whole life. There's a little phenomenon that people in the Great Lakes region know all too well. One that cripples things as bad as the blizzards of the Plain States.

Lake Effect Show.

I'm sick of it. I'd like to see more than two seasons (or less than two, if I can get rid of Winter) a year. Seriously, in April, it went from 60s F to eight inches of snow and bitter cold in two days. That's not cool.

It's not that I don't like winter, necessarily. I HATE winter driving, though. When I get cold, it takes me forever to warm back up. Cloudy weather depresses me. Other than that, if you have people to go sledding with or to just screw around with in the snow, it's not bad.

Edit: And I did not know Dave Thomas was the reason THs were popping up in the region. Learn something new every day.

Nomrom
2007-07-23, 09:19 PM
I hate being cold. When it gets cold outside, I don't even want to wake up in the morning (not that I usually do), let alone leave my house. It takes so long to warm back up again, and even then you're still cold. I would much rather be hot than cold.

Xerillum
2007-07-23, 09:32 PM
Does the wild "Homo Canadiensis" hibernate in the winter months? And is it lured into settling near the wild "Breakfastus Timhortoniensis"? Because I was put under that impression.

^ It's COLD in Texas?!?! What's up wit dat!

Talya
2007-07-23, 09:35 PM
Edit: And I did not know Dave Thomas was the reason THs were popping up in the region. Learn something new every day.

Yup. He started it, anyway. Wendy's bought out Tim Horton's, which was a private company at the time, while he was still alive, and started expanding through the US market.

A couple years ago they spun off Tim Horton's as a publicly traded company...made a killing on the IPO, so Wendy's no longer has a controlling interest, but Wendy's is the reason they are now in the USA.

Nomrom
2007-07-23, 09:40 PM
Does the wild "Homo Canadiensis" hibernate in the winter months? And is it lured into settling near the wild "Breakfastus Timhortoniensis"? Because I was put under that impression.

Not, it's not really cold in Texas. That's how much I hate being cold. Even the little cold we get is too much for me.

Xerillum
2007-07-23, 09:42 PM
Ah. If you came up to Wisconsin in winter, you'd be freezing.

Nomrom
2007-07-23, 09:55 PM
Which is why I have never had, and will never have, a desire to come up to Wisconsin in the winter.

@V: That's true too. No time period really.

Cyrano
2007-07-23, 09:58 PM
Or, indeed, a desire to come to Wisconsin during ANY time period, including the Jurassic age and that period of time where I could Vulcan Neck Pinch kittens.

Jensik
2007-07-24, 08:35 AM

We don't get real cold down here. Last winter we had a freak instance of a ice storms but that's about it. It's actually rather amusing to see the native Texans complain about the winter weather, since the summers are SO much worse. 90+ degrees F with an average of 70%+ humidity. Now what's up with THAT! The heat I can take, it's the humidity that kills me since I have to work outside half the day.

Aramil Liadon
2007-07-25, 03:00 PM
Oh, I am so sorry for all those poor Texans who get cold. The heat, you have my sympathies. But I just have the feeling that few inhabitants of the southern USA have ever had a snowball down the back of the neck, or had their face washed out with snow.

With that unfeeling and insensative comment, I take my leave to eat a watermelon.

Trog
2007-07-25, 03:46 PM
*Trog wanders in and raises hand*

What did you do with the "Hamms the beer refreshing" bear?

And on the weather related bit you don't know the extremes of cold or heat until you live in the American Midwest. Largest variety of temperatures due to no mountain range blocking either cool actic blasts (-40 below F windchill) or 100 degree F heat waves. We battle it with beer.... beer and cheese. It's the only way.

Indurain
2007-07-25, 03:52 PM
*Trog wanders in and raises hand*

What did you do with the "Hamms the beer refreshing" bear?

He's yours, not ours. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamm's_Beer_bear)

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-25, 03:54 PM
And on the weather related bit you don't know the extremes of cold or heat until you live in the American Midwest. Largest variety of temperatures due to no mountain range blocking either cool actic blasts (-40 below F windchill) or 100 degree F heat waves. We battle it with beer.... beer and cheese. It's the only way.

And, unlike us Southern Ontarians, no big lakes to your west to help moderate the temperatures with cooling/warming winds.

Trog
2007-07-25, 04:05 PM
He's yours, not ours. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamm's_Beer_bear)
Ah. Trog was misinformed of the location of the "Land of sky blue waters." Last time Trog asks for directions from a drunk bear. And I see in that article the Joe Camel has also passed on. What next? No Trogs in Coffin Nail adverts?

:eek:

Trog needs to call his agent quick! Maybe see about getting that "Talk Show" gig back.

*fishes out hands-free and slaps it to his tympanic membrane and starts walking away and talking as the tiny ear device falls, unnoticed, to the floor.*

Barry! Barry it's Trog... Green Trog needs work, badly, Barry. Can you hear me now? Hello? ... Hello?

*wanders off*

Alarra
2007-07-25, 06:48 PM

QFT brrrrr.....Minnesota.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-25, 08:29 PM

Yes... beer and cheese (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wisconsin-Natives-Beer-Cheese-Soup/Detail.aspx). Mmmm.

phoenixineohp
2007-08-06, 09:37 AM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/phoenixineohp/scan0011.jpg

Found it cleaning my room the other day. Though some (Jibar) might like it. Sorry for the fold. It's old.

Sizzlefoot
2018-10-06, 01:21 PM
What color?

Scarlet Knight
2018-10-25, 08:57 PM

Loreena McKennitt is wonderful; but what I truly regret is never seeing Great Big Sea when I had the chance.

Well, you’d have an easier time conquering other cities if only for the fact that there would be less people. We are the biggest city in Canada, after all (and interestingly enough, we would be one of the largest in the States too … I saw a list of Canadian and American cities by population once, and I’m pretty sure Toronto just made it into the top ten).

For anyone wondering about fighting Canadians, I submit one of the greatest baseball games in history: the 2015 Playoff between Toronto & Texas. Often referred to as the "Jose Bautisa Bat Flip Game", it shows how quickly polite Canadians can turn into a blood thirsty hockey crowd.

Canada, you earned a special place in my story-telling list that day.

@v Oooops. :smallredface:

factotum
2018-10-25, 10:14 PM
Wow, an 11 year thread necromancy? You don't see those every day.

Peelee
2018-10-25, 11:20 PM

I was impressed by the 9-year necromanced Soup or Salad thread, myself.

Sivarias
2018-10-29, 02:22 PM

Boo! I thought this was legit. I had questions. Oh well *surrenders to inevitable mod lock*

Brighteyes
2018-11-18, 06:00 PM
Loreena McKennitt is wonderful; but what I truly regret is never seeing Great Big Sea when I had the chance.

I'm so glad we got to see Great Big Sea in person.
*Canadian*

Roland St. Jude
2018-11-19, 01:42 AM
What color?

Sheriff: Thread necromancy is disfavored on this forum. Please review the Forum Rules.