PDA

View Full Version : Whose Superiority Dice Reign Supreme?

Master O'Laughs
2017-01-10, 02:11 PM
Out of curiousity, what are the comparative strength and weaknesses of the different fighter styles (and spell-less ranger) with superiority dice?

I have an idea of all the fun stuff a Battle Master can do (I played one in a campaign). But how does the Scout, Monster Hunter, and Ranger stack up?

Fishyninja
2017-01-10, 02:21 PM
I'm about to play a BM and get my hands on the Superiority die so I can tell you a bit more after I have played a few sessions with it.

In regards to the fighter from reading the PHB and various forums and analysing the moves it seems to make the fighter a few things

Great Crowd Controller
Not bad for a solo campaign

I'll put forward my thoughts when you look at the maneuvers

Half of them {roughly} as well as giving you extra damage) allow you to either create advantage for yourself/your party, while the other half are focused on either damage reduction or getting in extra attacks on the enemy.

The maneuvers better for controllers I would suggest:

Commander's Strike
Distracting Strike
Goading Attack
Maneuvering Attack
Menancing Attack
Rally

For Soloists:

Disarming Attack
Evasive footwork
Feniting Attack
Lunging Attack
Parry
Precision Attack
Pushing Attack
Riposte
Sweeping Attack
Trip Attack

Of course these can be mixed an matched as well.
Strength as far as I can tell of the BM over the others is the sheer number of superiority you get.

[Correction] It is not the number of dice it is the number of maneuvers and as far as I can tell it only applies to the spellless ranger.

jaappleton
2017-01-10, 02:25 PM
It's quite campaign dependent, but I like the Monster Slayer

DivisibleByZero
2017-01-10, 02:27 PM
You misunderstand the query, Fishy.
He's not asking about the BM's maneuvers. He's asking about the different Fighter subclasses (and the spell-less Ranger) who also get maneuvers, and how those compare to the BM (and to each other).

Master O'Laughs
2017-01-10, 02:30 PM
He's not asking about the BM's maneuvers. He's asking about the different Fighter subclasses (and the spell-less Ranger) who also get maneuvers, and how those compare to the BM (and to each other).

Yes! Exactly this! Sorry for not being more clear.

Fishyninja
2017-01-10, 02:31 PM

After Posting I re-read and added small correction at the bottom of my original post, unfortunately I only have experience with the Spell-Less Ranger.