PDA

View Full Version : Two homebrew spells

Yeril
2007-07-18, 08:22 PM
Heres two spells ive Homebrewed for my Elven Warmage named Yeril Liadon and I think ive worked out all the bugs, Ive got several opinions but can't have too many pointers can you.

Yeril's Arcane Arrow

Yeril's Arcane Arrow
Evocation [Force]

Level: 1 Sor/Wiz
Components: V, S, F, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30ft
Area: Line
Duration: Instantanous
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell resistance: Yes

You release a powerful Beam of Arcane energy that deals 2d4+1/level (max 2d4+5) force damage to each creature in its path. Like the spell Magic Missile, this spell can be stopped with the Shield spell.

Material component; a pinch of copper oxide.
Arcane Focus; An arrow of atleast Masterwork Quality

Pro's;
- Low level Area of Effect spell
- Force damage
- High damage at CL level 1-2 compared to most spells of its level

Con's;
- Low damage at CL 3+ compared to most spells of its level
- Reflex Negates
- Negated by Shield spell

Yeril's Elemental Flare

Yeril's Elemental Flare
Evocation

Level: 2 Sor/Wiz
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: Thrown
Area; 5ft radius
Duration: 1round /level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Reflex Half
Spell resistance: Yes

You summon up a ball of elemental energy in the form of a swirling mass of colours, you can Throw the ball at casting as a free action or hold it for up to 1 round/level and throw it as a standard action, after this time the energy is lost

The ball of energy can be thrown as a ranged touch attack against a square with range Inc. of 10ft, dealing 1d6 damage/level to a maximum of 10d6 to all in a 5ft radius. If it misses, treat it as a missed splash weapon.

The type of damage is elemental, Roll D% to find out what kind
1-25% Acid
26-50% Cold
51-75% Electricity
76-100% Fire

Arcane Focus; A Glove inscribed with 4 elemental runes worth 50gp, which is to be worn during casting

Pro's;
- Area of effect attack
- Very high damage compared to most spells of its level
- Random energy may be at a advantage (eg. rolling Fire against a creature with Fire vulnerbilty)

Con's;
- Requires an Arcane focus
- Very short range of 50ft (at a -10 penalty to hit)
- Low Accuracy
- Random energy may be at a disadvantage (eg. rolling Fire against a creature with Fire immunity)

Any opinions on these spells? Good? Awesome? Too powerful? Not powerful enough? Good-spell-but-whats-with-the-crappy-name? If over/underpowered Suggestions on how to help?

Umarth
2007-07-18, 08:30 PM
Yeril's Arcane Arrow

This is to powerful for a 1st level spell in my opinion. Your potentially dealing 12d4+12 if you get a nice line up of creatures which is way beyond what anything else can do at level 1.

If you wanted to balance this I'd have it affect the first creature in the line it hits +1 per two levels.

Yeril's Elemental Flare
Random component of this will slow down game play. I'd nix it for that reason alone. Intresting flavor but find a way to get it with out slowing down the game. Maybe in the day it deals fire, at night cold, and underground acid?

Other than that with a quick glance it looks fine.

Yeril
2007-07-18, 08:40 PM
Yeril's Arcane Arrow

This is to powerful for a 1st level spell in my opinion. Your potentially dealing 12d4+6 if you get a nice line up of creatures which is way beyond what anything else can do at level 1.

True but Ill point two things out to you,

Burning hands has a even larger area of effect, and at 4th-5th level is a more powerful option, averaging out at 87.5 damage compared to 60 damage with this spell.

at 1st level, how likley is it to be fighting 6 things at once that conveniently stand in a line?

Thanks for your input.

Umarth
2007-07-18, 08:56 PM
True but Ill point two things out to you,

Burning hands has a even larger area of effect, and at 4th-5th level is a more powerful option, averaging out at 87.5 damage compared to 60 damage with this spell.

At 4th-5th level you won't be casting this or burning hands though. This powers up low level casters and by the time other 1st level spells are more powerful this would never be cast.

Of course there is a decent argument to be made that 1-4th level casters could be more powerful.

at 1st level, how likley is it to be fighting 6 things at once that conveniently stand in a line?

In a tunnel/hallway with 5 goblins plus the fighter that "accidentally" stepped on your spell book this morning. :smallbiggrin:

Your a lot more likely to come up against critters coming at you in a line than you are in such a way that they will fill a cone.

Yeril
2007-07-18, 09:09 PM
I always imagine advancing goblins to move in a Clump, not single file.

The damage could be reduced to 1d6+1/level

Theres the argument that it is reflex negates, but also that it does force damage which is a very effective type of damage, but then again so does magic missle and once you reach CL 3 magic missile beats this spell in almost every way, damage wise, accuracy wise and range wise.

Umarth
2007-07-19, 07:30 AM
Is there a spell you'd normally cast instead of this at levels 1-3?

The spell is okay and does have some drawbacks to it. My main concern is that your creating a new 1st level must have spell and that's not something I'd be looking for in my games. If you are then it's okay.

Triaxx
2007-07-19, 12:37 PM
I like Elemental Flare as is, because it's a simple roll of a d4 die to determine the element. It's also kind of dangerous, because you can end up healing the opponent. I'd even consider adding positive, and negative energies to the mix, making it a d6, but also potentially effective Vs. Undead, or those with immunities.