PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Does flanking set you up for a sneak attack?

Zhentarim
2017-01-10, 09:10 PM
I was just wondering. If so, I may make my slayer (sniper) just a slayer (deliverer) of Iomedae.

legomaster00156
2017-01-10, 09:12 PM
Yes, you may use Sneak Attack any time your enemy is denied their DEX bonus to AC, or when you are flanking them. I suggest putting simple questions like this in the RAW questions sticky thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505656-Simple-RAW-for-Pathfinder-Thread-V-Golarion-Strikes-Back).

Zhentarim
2017-01-10, 09:15 PM
Yes, you may use Sneak Attack any time your enemy is denied their DEX bonus to AC, or when you are flanking them. I suggest putting simple questions like this in the RAW questions sticky thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505656-Simple-RAW-for-Pathfinder-Thread-V-Golarion-Strikes-Back).

Thank you!

Frosty
2017-01-11, 12:42 PM
Qwanch, you are DMing a Pathfinder game. How do you not know this already :smallconfused:

Zhentarim
2017-01-11, 12:44 PM
Qwanch, you are DMing a Pathfinder game. How do you not know this already :smallconfused:

I had to be sure. I thought it did.

Florian
2017-01-11, 01:41 PM
I was just wondering. If so, I may make my slayer (sniper) just a slayer (deliverer) of Iomedae.

*sigh*

Being flanked is the No.1 condition to deal SA damage. If you have a flanking buddy, you want to skip Slayer for (UC) Rogue and go TWF, maybe going so far as to both invest a feat in Outflank.

Zhentarim
2017-01-12, 12:11 AM
*sigh*

Being flanked is the No.1 condition to deal SA damage. If you have a flanking buddy, you want to skip Slayer for (UC) Rogue and go TWF, maybe going so far as to both invest a feat in Outflank.

II know of 3 conditions:

Sneak Attack after stealthing, sneak attacking while flanking, and sneak attacking after feinting with a bluff check. Are there others?

Turion
2017-01-12, 12:47 AM
II know of 3 conditions:

Sneak Attack after stealthing, sneak attacking while flanking, and sneak attacking after feinting with a bluff check. Are there others?

Attacking a stunned or helpless target comes to mind.

the_david
2017-01-12, 12:50 AM
Or someone who is pinned, that also works.

Coretron03
2017-01-12, 01:10 AM
Also when your invisible, enemy is blind or hasn't acted yet in the combat.

TheIronGolem
2017-01-12, 01:19 AM
II know of 3 conditions:

Technically, it's only two conditions: You're flanking the target OR the target is denied the use of their DEX bonus to AC. It's just that there are lots of conditions in which the latter applies, and exceptions to those conditions can arise from various character abilities.

Common situations in which someone is denied their DEX bonus to AC:

Flat-footed
Can't see attacker (due to stealth, invisibility, or blindness)
Paralyzed, unconscious, or otherwise unable to move
Successful feint

That list, of course, is far from exhaustive.

Florian
2017-01-12, 05:06 AM
II know of 3 conditions:

Broadly speaking, there are only two common conditions that allow for SA: Flanking and denying Dex bonus. The later breaks down into a lot of situational rules on how this can be achieved, either by a surprise round, visibility/blindness, being pinned/stunned/helpless, and so on. Beyond that are certain class features and item powers that allow to set-up SA under varying conditions (or simply use them w/o a condition).

Of all available options, flanking can be considered to be the most common and stable, as few class features or creature powers offer any kind of resistance or negation to it (see Uncanny Dodge) and it always works with a Full Attack action, making going TWF a very good choice.

Exact class choices and builds therefore are always highly dependent on how your overall party looks and how willing your fellow players are to cooperate with you. For example, if there is a pet available (Druid, Summoner, ...), then (U)Rogue/Ninja is a good choice because you can get a lot of mileage out of the teamwork feats Outflank and Precise Strike.

Specifically talking about WotR, IŽd actually say go for a STR-based Vishkanya Slayer 7/Crimson Templar 1+, TWF Bastard Sword and Kukri, go for 2x Terrain Mastery and pick the Sleep Poison feat to deal with troublesome spellcasters.