PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Shadow-Themed Character

Ionbound
2017-01-10, 09:14 PM
Pretty much what the title implies. I want to play a shadow-themed character in a 3.5 game, and while Shadow Sun Ninja is cool, I want to explore my other options. Not a big fan of the unarmed strike plan.

Jack_Simth
2017-01-10, 09:27 PM
Perhaps a variation on the Killer Gnome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19848992&postcount=3) shadowcraft mage?

Doctor Despair
2017-01-10, 09:31 PM
Binder, keep Tenebrous on hand all the time?

neriractor
2017-01-10, 09:36 PM
*shameless plug* you could prestige into my shadowdancer rework: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509761-Neriractor%B4s-shadowdancer-fix-PEACH&p=21521499#post21521499 */shameless plug*

Xaroth
2017-01-10, 09:41 PM
...I mean, I think the obvious first step is the Shadow template. Unless I'm missing something.

Zaq
2017-01-10, 09:59 PM
This is not technically the most generic question I've seen on these boards, but it's damn close.

You can go for pretty much any kind of full caster; either just take a lot of shadow-themed spells or take Spell Thematics and make every spell shadowy. Shadowcraft Mage has already been mentioned.

You can go for the actual Shadowcaster class; it's got some problems, but it does exist.

You can go psionic and rely on the Light and Darkness mantle.

You can go incarnum-heavy and take Umbral Disciple.

You can go Master of Shrouds and literally summon shadows (and other incorporeal undead).

You can just be really sneaky, with or without the Dark and/or Shadow templates.

What do you actually want a shadow-themed character to do?

Jack_Simth
2017-01-10, 10:03 PM
You can go for pretty much any kind of full caster; either just take a lot of shadow-themed spells or take Spell Thematics and make every spell shadowy.You don't even need Spell Thematics for that. Having players describe the effects of their own spells is right in the 3.5 DMG - page 34, specifically:
You can let players describe the spells that their characters cast. Don’t, however, allow a player to use an original description that makes a spell seem more powerful than it is. A fireball spell that creates an illusion of a dragon breathing flames goes too far.

Thurbane
2017-01-10, 10:04 PM
This is one of the themes that 3.5 actually addresses quit extensively, in the form a race, template, class, PrC, feats and items...

To the OP: are you looking for a melee type, caster, skillmonkey or other role/schtick?

Zaq
2017-01-10, 10:07 PM
You don't even need Spell Thematics for that. Having players describe the effects of their own spells is right in the 3.5 DMG - page 34, specifically:

True, but Spell Thematics is fun because it lets you invoke effects that would normally "go too far" as long as they fit your limited theme.

I mean, if you can get away with not taking ST, then don't take ST. But if your GM is kind of a wet blanket, it's a nice way of getting some mechanical backup on your side.

Rebel7284
2017-01-10, 11:31 PM
Bunch of options

- Shadowcraft Mage (perhaps with a Shadow Adept or Shadowcrafter dip) is likely the most powerful option.
- Telflamar Shadowlord can teleport through shadows and full attack after any teleport effect. Also can dissipate into shadows and reform later if anyone is actually successful at killing them.
- Any class can pick up the Dark template (lesser Shadow template really) by using the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. (Notice the all-day version in the item description.)

BowStreetRunner
2017-01-10, 11:37 PM
There was a discussion of Everything Shadow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-329348.html) from the archives which you might find useful here.