PDA

View Full Version : No Speeding

dogmac
2007-07-18, 10:15 PM
A reminder to you all why you shouldn't speed.

This morning, I almost hit a little boy when I was driving. I was just going up my road, and he suddenly raced out from between two parked cars with his grandfather (I think) in hot persuit. I stopped with about 10cms to spare.

If I'd even been going AT the speedlimit,that little boy would have been well and truly under my car. As it is, he took off up the footpath, and I waved at the parents and went to see my shrink.

NO SPEEDING!!!!!

cheers

(a very relieved) Di

North
2007-07-18, 10:17 PM
Well thats very good that you missed him!

Wow parents really need to keep a better rein on their kids sometimes.

dogmac
2007-07-18, 10:25 PM
That's a bit simplistic. He was about 2 years old. 2 year olds are fast as lightening and slippery as eels sometimes.

His Mum had a pram and an older sibling with her. His Granddad (I think) was trying to grab him, but he'd obviously just taken off. These things happen.

Fortunately I wasnt' going faster. I was only going about 37 kph, because it was nearly a school zone (40kph here). But I've seen people zoom up our street at 70kph or so. He would have been dead if I'd even been going the legal 50.

Pyre
2007-07-18, 11:10 PM
I think the only obvious thing to do is go 5mph everywhere.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-18, 11:25 PM
I think the only obvious thing to do is go 5mph everywhere.

Or get Chitty-chitty-bang-bang and go flying over the traffic.

*nods wisely at the old classics*

FdL
2007-07-18, 11:27 PM
Glad you could stop in time. It feels awful to drive sometimes. As if you were hanging around with a loaded weapon :s

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-18, 11:29 PM
Glad you could stop in time. It feels awful to drive sometimes. As if you were hanging around with a loaded weapon :s

That's why I only drive this baby around.

http://artcarfest.com/images/vehicles/bumper.car.jpg

V Tsk you won't be groaning when those flying cars become the latest trend.

Chineselegolas
2007-07-18, 11:29 PM
Or get Chitty-chitty-bang-bang and go flying over the traffic.

*nods wisely at the old classics*
*Groan*

Hopefully it was close enough to give the boy a scare and he will never do it again. Seriously, those kids who run out into traffic are just asking to get killed sometimes.

And good for you going slow around school zone, I always do that, but it seems everyone else on the road is so impatient and likes their horn a little to much at times. (Though that might just be because I'm still a learner and that L on the back windscreen does seem to provoke drivers to be impatient)

averagejoe
2007-07-18, 11:32 PM
*Groan*

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Hey. Hey. That was an awsome movie. **** Van Dyke is win personified. :smalltongue:

dogmac
2007-07-18, 11:33 PM
I'd like a chitty chitty bang bang.

Or maybe we can go back to having someone walk in front with a red flag.

Seriously, I'd be surprised if the kiddie learns anything from it. I think the mother will not be opening her front gate without him FIRMLY in hand again though.

(and can I just say wheatpacks are wonderful things. Got one on my shoulder now, I think I wrenched it braking)

Serpentine
2007-07-18, 11:41 PM
I knew a little boy who once got on his little trike and went for a ride down the road. He was in the middle of town (a good km away) before anyone even knew he was gone o.O I think someone recognised him and brought him back... Fortunately it was a tiny little town (pop. ~1000) with big wide roads and plenty of paths, so he wasn't really in much danger.

Yiel
2007-07-18, 11:52 PM
Glad to know everyone is ok. :smalleek: Small children near roads terrify me.

I once had a mother beat me with her handbag after I swerved to miss her and her six year old running across the road at night. (on a 4 lane, 60km/hr main road >_> ) I slid on my bike and lay there under it half-dazed, while she thwacked me screaming murder. (Note that I'm 5"4 and Australian ladies size 10... hardly threatening) After that my father had me sell my bike and buy a car. :smallfrown:

I hope your shoulder isn't too bad!