PDA

View Full Version : vop and e6, working together?

Somensjev
2017-01-11, 05:44 AM
As we all know, vop is pretty bad. It doesn't make up for the items you lose access to, and doesn't give you key things (like flight), and it only somewhat works for certain classes.

But, I'm starting to make a character for e6, and I was wondering if vop becomes any better when level six is basically epic.

Is it worth giving up level 6 wbl, and all the items you need by that level, for the benefits that vop gives you?

Mr Adventurer
2017-01-11, 07:49 AM
Well, you're not just giving up L6 WBL though - you can continue to collect treasure after you hit level 6.

OldTrees1
2017-01-11, 11:19 AM
You still need Flight, and some extrasensory perception in E6.

However if you have those then the issue with VoP is merely a matter of numbers. I would still avoid VoP but it is not as bad as if you were higher level and taking VoP would lock you out of needed abilities.

eggynack
2017-01-11, 11:30 AM
One big problem is that you're not getting as good of a feat deal. A lot of the value of VoP, the stuff that's extending beyond the baseline bonuses which kinda match up between wealth and VoP, is in the feats. In e6, you're only getting a net bonus of two feats, and a couple of your exalted feats are bound to be pretty mediocre to crappy, so you might not be getting any significant effective feat advantage. Then you add the fact that any feat advantage you do get is liable to be washed out by the feats you get from e6, and it seems like the benefit from VoP is less present than usual. Which is bad, because the downsides aren't being lessened overmuch in this environment.

Flickerdart
2017-01-11, 12:38 PM
I would allow characters to continue accruing levels towards Vow of Poverty. So a character with 21000 EXP is still a level 6 character, but gains level 7 benefits from VoP (+1 resistance bonus to saves and +2 to an ability score).

Even if your E6 game makes it to 20 levels worth of XP, I'm still not sure it's worth it. You gain some abilities that your peers can't get - freedom of movement at 91,000 EXP and true seeing at 153,000 EXP - but the other stuff is nothing special. DR 5? +2 NA? Wowie zowie, that sure is worth playing a whole campaign with no cash!

Naez
2017-01-11, 01:27 PM
The biggest problem with vow of poverty in any setting isn't just that it lacks some basic things that are necessary for advanced play (Flight most notably) it's that even the bonuses it does give you are done better by items.

The most basic set of gear for a max level character: +5 Chain Shirt , a +5 Weapon with +5 Enchantments (if you even bother with a weapon), Amulet of natural armor +5, Ring of protection +5, Cloak of resistance +5. Better armor bonus, Better attacks, better natural armor, better deflection bonus, better saves, and that's not even half your total character wealth.

Flickerdart
2017-01-11, 01:59 PM
The most basic set of gear for a max level character:
Please read the thread title - this is about E6, where nobody has +5 anything.

Naez
2017-01-11, 02:05 PM
Please read the thread title - this is about E6, where nobody has +5 anything.

E6 doesn't mean you stop getting money. You can still go up to +2 weapons, saves, natural armor, deflection and +3 in armor. Which is still significantly better than VoP. the numbers are different but the outcome is the same.