PDA

View Full Version : Alert! DM in need of advice and ideas!

Neon Knight
2007-07-18, 10:23 PM
Okay-dokey. Let's get to business.

For this game, I've created this deity named Jaeris. Basically, a couple thousand years ago, Jaeris descended from the heavens to aid the race of humans, who where constantly being suppressed and extorted by the other races. Old Jaeris defeated most of their armies single handedly and created a Kingdom ruled by a council comprised of all races (with a few more humans, in case those snotty elves and grumpy dwarves proved resentful), which exists to this day.

I can't figure out what his holy symbol would be. You know, that blatant sign that says, "Whatever or Whosoever bears this seal is beloved or belonged to Jaeris." Any ideas?

Also, I was looking for an alternate name for the title of a desert lord. Sultan was too played out, so I was considering Caliph. However, I realized that calling the leader a Caliph would be like calling him the Pope. I'm pretty sure none of my player would realize that, but was wondering if there was an alternative to Caliph and Sultan.

Fishies
2007-07-18, 10:26 PM
Symbol- Maybe a fist?

A name for a desert lord- Sandking? I dunno.

Dhavaer
2007-07-18, 10:30 PM
A disc, divided into equal sectors. Maybe have the number of sectors equal to the number of representatives on the council?

Pharaoh.

Cryopyre
2007-07-18, 10:32 PM
Pharaoh, it's kind of different, but still played out, and if you call him a pharaoh your PCs will probably be expecting pyramids and mummies, so it's not the greatest idea.

In latin Pharaoh is translated to A Quiver so maybe the title could be Aquiver or A Quiver

^Late post, damn, you beat me to it^

Neon Knight
2007-07-18, 10:32 PM
Pharaoh has Egyptian connotations, and to the average person, Egyptian means mummies. I don't want them thinking mummies.

I'm saving my mummies for Inca type Reptilian civilizations in the southern hemisphere of my world.

earlblue
2007-07-18, 10:41 PM
Before you appears a holy symbol, in blazing quicksilver, something that looks like:

JAERIS

3 guess which god it belongs to?

We sometime forget that languages are nothing but symbols. By themselves, they don't really mean anything BUT what we agree to impose upon them.

A 'cat' is not really a cat unless we all agreed that it is.

K.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-18, 10:42 PM
Shah? Emir? Sheik (or sheikh)?

Cryopyre
2007-07-18, 10:45 PM
How about a gavel, representing the law around which he freed humans, or how about a stick figure human in a circle, much like the leonardo man.

Jarlax
2007-07-18, 10:45 PM
If he formed a a world of races in balance then perhaps a symbol including words or letters in each of the languages of the races that now form the council?

as for a title, Pasha has worked well in the desert communities in forgotten realms setting.

Neon Knight
2007-07-18, 10:54 PM
I do not want to rip off FR.

As much as I like Shah, I already has a Persian based society present, and using Shah elsewhere might be confusing. Emir and Sheikh have potential.

A gavel might do, except the dwarves already have a monopoly on hammers. The Leonardo man symbol might work, except Jaeris isn't explicitly pro-human, more along the lines of pro-equality. The Leonardo man might work, if we modify it.

How about the symbol is this: The traditional Leonardo man, except he has features from all the races that make up the kingdom. The body of a man, beard of a dwarf, the ears of an elf, the tusks of an orc, etc.

Cryopyre
2007-07-18, 10:59 PM
sounds good to me, of course you could go the obvious route pertaining to equality which would be even balancing scales.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-18, 11:00 PM
Every time I see the bloody Vitruvian Man, I want to punch someone in the throat.

How about a pair of hands, holding the disc Dhavaer suggested?

Diggorian
2007-07-18, 11:02 PM
Suggested Jaeris symbol:
http://www.geocities.com/thelorddiggus/Jaeris.JPG

The idea is that Jaeris is the golden ring that protects the golden core of Humanity from the vaired outside threats of the world. Change the colors as you see fit.

Desert lord I say Naib (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naib) (NAH-eeb). Dont know if you're a Dune fan like myself, but arcane Dune references are made of victory dipped in win. :smallbiggrin:

Neon Knight
2007-07-18, 11:03 PM
Any reason for that animosity?

Balancing scales is pretty worn thin by now.

The disk is an option, but I feel just a plain sectored disk is a tad... bland.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-18, 11:04 PM
You could decorate the disc so that each section would clearly represent a race...
A copper tree for the elves, for example, or a stone hammer for the dwarves.

EDIT: It would be easy to make all of the symbols weapons, but this guy doesn't seem too warlike. Perhaps a pair of dice for the halflings? Just plain gold for humans?
EDIT EDIT: If that's too much work, perhaps only the really elaborate crests (such as the ones you'd find at the main council) would have all of the symbols, and each race would just draw the disc with their symbol on the top.

DomarSaul
2007-07-18, 11:07 PM
Beys and Emirs could work, too. You also shouldn't hesitate to create your own titles, presumedly derived from the fantastical languages spoken by the desert's inhabitants. If your NPCs use it with enough dread and deference, it can take on an appropriate meaning for your players. Look at "darth." Off the top of my head, I might suggest

P'nach
Gaen
Fajane
Varas

Basic geometry is one way to go with holy symbols, like a square circumscribed with a circle, but plants or animals can be more recognizable. Fragile and non-threatening choices feel paradoxically appropriate for a truly powerful deity, like a lily, rabbit or butterfly.

Neon Knight
2007-07-18, 11:19 PM
Diggorian, that is a fine suggestion, except it makes him seem human centered. He is more of a balance guy. You have, however, created my first heretical cult: A group of Jaeris worshipers who believe his intent was to raise humanity above all other races. Thank you and congratulations.

The disc idea just doesn't cut it for me. Plenty of other deities and races have discs or disc like objects.

Diggorian
2007-07-18, 11:35 PM
Um, thanks? :smallamused:

How about the golden ring surround equidistant points for all the races? Does Jaeris have nicknames like "The Uniter" or "The All Encompasser", "Gifter of Hugs"? This could suggest stuff.

Dont dig Naib?

EDIT- A blue filed with an sheathed sword and unstrung bow crossing a downward turned axe?

BRC
2007-07-18, 11:41 PM
Balanced type Eh, Maybe somthing like a many-balanced scale, veiwed from above. like a scale,k only instead of a balance on each side, its surrounded by them.

The_Werebear
2007-07-18, 11:45 PM
Simplicity is best. How many different races are there on the council? Maybe a series of dots in a circle, one of a different color for each race. Or, rip off the olympic rings idea, one for each race.

Demented
2007-07-19, 12:08 AM
An eye, supported by a vaguely humanoid geometric figure.
"Jaeris is watching you, demihuman."

You could pick something Jaeris is commonly associated with, and stylize it. Usually some object in nature. If it's only equality and balance, then something that gives the impression of all races being equal would work, such as a row of several identical upright lines. (Modern viewers might recognize it as a barcode. :smallamused: )
Fine, I'll admit it, I just loved the tongue-in-cheek factor.

Dementrius
2007-07-19, 12:09 AM
I would personally go with "Shareef".

Just so he can become annoyed when they hurl catapult stones at the casbah.

As for holy symbols - the best idea is generally to rip off a celtic web symbol like:

http://henryleedesigns.com/celtic-table_web.jpg

or (on the right hand sde)

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/794419/2/istockphoto_794419_celtic_symbol_vector.jpg

The weave represents the interlocking relationship of the races and so on.

Cryopyre
2007-07-19, 01:29 AM
Personally I'd say go with something simple, hammer, gavel, vetruvian man/dwarf/whatever and make a simple version which is what people will wear, and then have it more decorated for when people have holy symbols or want to paint a building.

So some symbols will be bland, in fact most will, but others will be more elegant. Just think of the cross in real life.

Cryopyre
2007-07-19, 01:33 AM
And I just thought of something, if you have the non-core monster manuals you should know of mongrelfolk. They are a mix of every race created by some deity, however ugly they may be, maybe those creatures will be your god's holy race, showing his dream of a uniform mix of races.

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-19, 01:38 AM
A god based around human racial superiority? I'd go with a cross.

Green Bean
2007-07-19, 01:45 AM
Simplicity is best. How many different races are there on the council? Maybe a series of dots in a circle, one of a different color for each race. Or, rip off the olympic rings idea, one for each race.

Olympic rings sound like they could work. Especially if you make the ring representing humans both bigger and more prominent than the others. That way, the other races don't forget just who kick their butts.

starwoof
2007-07-19, 01:57 AM
I think that a good symbol of balance would be a simple white circle. A single circle is easy to mark on anything. White is the full spectrum of colors blended perfectly. A circle might be a bit played out/too general but I think that white is a good color at least. :smallsmile:

Tormsskull
2007-07-19, 05:35 AM
A god based around human racial superiority? I'd go with a cross.

rofl.

I second making up your own titles. You can even make it sound like something real, but with a twist. For a symbol I'd go with something simple and subtle.