PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Does "Deadly Precision" work on ranged weapons and ranged precision?

Steide56
2017-01-11, 09:33 AM
Hi Guys this is my first post here. I'm trying to build a warrior/order of the bow iniate class combo and was looking for things to increase my damage. My build is focused on getting as much damage out there as possible through combining order of the bow initiates "ranged precision" with greater manyshot. I searched for something that might increase my precision specific damage even further and found "deadly precision" in magic items compendium which lets you deal +1d6 whenever you make a successful sneak attack or sudden strike. My first question would be whether you could use this weapon property on a ranged weapon at all in the first place? If so does it apply to the order of the bow initiates class feature "ranged precision" which is worded as follows:

As a standard action, an initiate may make a single precisely aimed attack with a ranged weapon, dealing an extra 1d8 points of damage if the attack hits. When making a ranged precision attack, an initiate must be within 30 feet of his target. An initiate’s ranged precision attack only works against living creatures with discernible anatomies. Any creature that is immune to critical hits (including undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures) is not vulnerable to a ranged precision attack, and any item or ability that protects a creature from critical hits (such as armor with the fortification special ability) also protects a creature from the extra damage.

Unlike with a rogue’s sneak attack, the initiate’s target does not have to be fl at-footed or denied its Dexterity bonus, but if it is, the initiate’s extra precision damage stacks with sneak attack damage. Treat the initiate’s ranged precision attack as a sneak attack in all other ways.

The initiate’s bonus to damage on ranged precision attacks increases by +1d8 every two levels.

An initiate can only use this ability with a ranged weapon for which he has taken the Weapon Focus feat.

I would argue yes, since both sneak attack and ranged precision are trying to hit vital organs throuh precision and it seems to me that deadly precision makes the attack more precise which makes it deal more damage. Thanks for the replies!

Deophaun
2017-01-11, 10:31 AM
To the first: yes, it can be placed on a ranged weapon (or ammunition). It says "Property: Weapon," not "Property: Melee weapon" (like Defensive Surge right underneath it does).

To the second: no, because ranged precision is neither sneak attack nor sudden strike. It doesn't matter what ranged precision is trying to do: it's not called sneak attack, and it's not called sudden strike, so it need not apply.

Steide56
2017-01-11, 11:38 AM
To the first: yes, it can be placed on a ranged weapon (or ammunition). It says "Property: Weapon," not "Property: Melee weapon" (like Defensive Surge right underneath it does).

To the second: no, because ranged precision is neither sneak attack nor sudden strike. It doesn't matter what ranged precision is trying to do: it's not called sneak attack, and it's not called sudden strike, so it need not apply.

Well it just seemed kinda logical too me as they appear like pretty much the same thing. One can just be done while the opponent is not flat footed since you are more skilled. The feature even states "treat the initiates range precision like a sneak attack in ALL other ways".

Jowgen
2017-01-11, 12:08 PM
Considering the "all other ways" clause, I do concur that it should qualify for things that benefit sneak attacks, as with that wording, the ability effectively becomes sneak attack baring the very specific excpetions listed in it's entry.

Still, Deadly Precision isn't particularly cost effective. I recommend Bracers of Murder from Drow of the Underdark. Bracers of the Hunter from Secrets of Xendrix are also decent.

Deophaun
2017-01-11, 12:22 PM
The feature even states "treat the initiates range precision like a sneak attack in ALL other ways".

Considering the "all other ways" clause, I do concur that it should qualify for things that benefit sneak attacks, as with that wording, the ability effectively becomes sneak attack baring the very specific excpetions listed in it's entry.
I will concur that my initial assessment that it does not work was incorrect, based on that wording.

However, the OP's original argument is still flawed and not how the game works at all; abilities interact only how they say they interact.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-01-11, 12:45 PM
No, it does not; nor would it apply to a Scout's Skirmish. Sneak Attack and Sudden Strike only, as those are the only things mentioned in the item's description (and the game usually treats them as interchangeable). It wouldn't be unreasonable to extend it, especially given how weak OOtBI is, but by RAW and RAI-- no, it won't work.

By the by, Greater Manyshot and Ranged Precision are incompatible-- they each require their own, unique Standard Action, rather than a generic attack action. A better bet for a single-shot attack , methinks, would be to go for Fell Shot and Brutal Throw-- as a standard action, throw your weapon as a touch attack with full power attack as a damage bonus.